AlchemillaHsospital

Internet forums are dead now...

Current events, politics, etc. The views expressed here are those of the individual posters, and do not necessarily represent those of SHC or the community as a whole.
Annin_Tofu

Internet forums are dead now...

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I noticed that message boards all across the Internet are practically dead now. The only really active ones are GameFAQs, but I closed two accounts on there, due to lippy users.

There's really nowhere else any more, to talk about gaming. At least not by doing it on forums that are regularly visited by others. There's also hardly any fan sites left. In fact, I think they're mostly gone now too. Geocities and Webs had some good wee sites a long time ago. But that must have been in 2006.

I just don't like Facebook, Discord, and Twitter. They're forcing you to add your mobile number on these sites too, as you cannot hardly do anything if you are not verified. But I don't like to do that.

Besides that, they keep altering things and ruining some of the good features. I honestly preferred Facebook about 3 years ago. It just doesn't look right nowadays.
rodox_head

Re: Internet forums are dead now...

Post by rodox_head »

In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

Well if you like being accused of being a shill or traitor, The David Icke Social is quite active. Just don't tell them you've been jabbed. I left last year, poked my head in, yeah, just as hopeless as I'd remembered!
Or the busiest forum I've come across is the Doctor Who forum, Gallifrey Base.
Silent Hill hasn't had a title for about ten years, so this place is as busy as it should be.
And Facebook gets easier once you adjust your settings to friends only. As opposed to anyone just butting in.
Still hate Twitter.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I found myself playing RE6 a few days ago. :o

Yep. Boredom can really get that bad. :mrgreen:
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

The internet as a whole right now feels more "content over community". YouTube comment sections are probably the most likely spot for me to see actual discussions.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rodox_head wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:34 am The internet as a whole right now feels more "content over community". YouTube comment sections are probably the most likely spot for me to see actual discussions.
The internet right now is about advertisements, not even content. The content is generally just made to sell the data to advertisers. If people continue to get sucked into social media, this will never change, either (it's been shown to be more addictive because it gives people addictive happy chemicals in their brains, serotonin and such). But they wont' ever admit they have trouble logging off, either.

So to hell with them. I get more done when I post on forums, not on social media, and the people who visit forums see the posts (social media hides your posts from 90% or more of your followers and "fans.")

Internet forums are dead. Long live internet forums.
Xuchilbara

Post by Xuchilbara »

I, too, prefer forums. I like this one a lot and will continue posting. This is one of the longest lasting ones and the only one I still post on. Thank gawd for new releases.
"Speak.
I am the Crimson One.
The lies and the mist are
not they, but I.
You all know that I am One.
Yes, and the One is I."
- Me, probably
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Xuchilbara wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:04 am I, too, prefer forums. I like this one a lot and will continue posting. This is one of the longest lasting ones and the only one I still post on. Thank gawd for new releases.
yes, and sometimes you tell people that and they can't even figure out the difference, they're so used to social medias now. no notifications popping up and making noises, you can actually see all the replies, more chill, you can search, better indexed, does not eat up your entire day with bullshit, etc.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

And this forum is ad-free, too. It must cost a pretty penny to maintain all of this. I want to say thanks.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Same here. :thumbsup: