Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

How many are there?

A lot, every year you can find several ones!
No votes
A few, every year there is at list one really good.
No votes
Very rare...
100%
Only one, that is...
No votes
There is none as we hope.
No votes

Total votes : 4

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Is there really a Silent Hill spiritual successor?

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 am

We are just a few in this forum now, but qualified ones, though. I would like to hear your opinion on this. I am a bit away of this universe, I could not build a PC strong enough to run most of this kind of game. This year I could install a Win10 in my Macbook so at list some of Horror Survival of this decade I can finally play - even with some difficulties. I will not be able to buy and play all has been made under Silent Hill influences, so I am trying to select a few with my faulty flashlight.

The last one I played was Alan Wake on Steam. I bought even before my Windows were working, since it was the sunset for it (now or never moment). It was disappointing, and the motivation of this post. The game make a promise that is not fulfilled. Me and many analysts see the strong influences of the franchise right from the beginning, but in the middle we have that feeling... and at the end we have just a cliché and opened questions for DLCs. I didn't find a deep analysis for the ending, maybe there isn't one because there is no deep at all, and this is valid for a lot of other games. Some of these games are still good to play, as Alan Wake, others are really bad developed, some are expansive or need an expansive PC to play, so it is better to make a selection of where to put our money and time. Another example is Dread Out that got a lot of complains about the Windows version and it is unplayable at all in macOS version.

Finally, I am also asking because there is a lot of games in development right now with the light (or darkness) of Silent Hill, can we be hopeful, or the past is showing that a SHSS will be a black perl?

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 am

I choose "Very Rare" I do not think there are any games out the that could be listed as a Silent Hill spiritual successor.

There are very little games IMO that come close to the game released by this franchise.

The most recent that come to mind as far as them being compared to the SH universe are RE7 and Hellblade.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 pm

^ I am with "Very Rare" choice too. I remember Amnesia, a well produced game that works hard on psychological elements to obtain disturb, fear and tension. It does not go so deep inside the characters but still can create a story "by pieces" as the background.

Many games producers make confusion with quality and game genre. A beautiful full detailed HD image is not enough, as monsters as zombies won't generate Horror Survival by itself, nor even fear. Everything got to work together synchronized to generate the expected effect. In these games, glitches, unstable frame rate, clichés, etc. will ruin quickly the experience.

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:08 pm

I went with 'very rare' as well.

Nothing really fills Silent Hill's boots properly (in my experience so far). There's a ton of great horror games out there but as a true spiritual successor? Not yet. But I also may have not yet played it either.

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion