Pazuzu

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Pazuzu on Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 am

One of the crepeier images in the original Silent Hill are the bodies mounted to the walls in some of the Otherworld's environments, especially noticable in the Otherworld versions of Midwich, the antique shop and the sewers. One of the game's many disturbing, haunting images. Has it ever been said what the bodies on the walls are meant to represent or symbolize?

If I were to guess I'd interpret them as being symbolic of the indifference that the adults showed Alessa when she was being tormented and ostracized, and yet just stood idly by and did nothing to help her. When the darkness invaded Silent Hill, I'd wager the idle and indifferent adults who just stood by and allowed Alessa to be tormented suffered the same fate they essentially gave to her, which was to do absolutely nothing and suffer for their indifference. The irony is that just like they stood by and did nothing to help Alessa, in the Otherworld they're completely still and motionless, and unable to get help, punishment for their indifference and unwillingness to help.

I guess this is just a random thought of mine but I felt like sharing it. Curious as to what others here think. Maybe I'm looking into some symbolism that isn't meant to be there but in the world of Silent Hill so much is up to interpretation.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Wilsden Hills on Mon May 29, 2017 7:38 am

And isn't that one of the joys of the series, its openness to interpretation. As I said in another thread I look less and less for specific meanings behind every lil nook and cranny of the games, and with sounds reasons for not doing, but that ain't to say there aren't reasons for them. The first time I saw the bloodied body hanging from the fence in 1 I presumed there was some sort of crucifixion / catholic / holy vibe going on, and indeed you could say that that was exactly what they were trying to achieve, in terms of knowing that a good way to freak westerners out is to fck with their religions. I'm not remotely religious, but did suffer a catholic upbringing so that guy affected me personally, in a way it might not even phase another player. It's possibly worth noting that SH has a strong following in 'catholic' countries, so maybe others are affected similarly. Anyone that's ever gotten too close to catholicism and has a functioning brain will perfectly understand its capacity for terror, through image or reality.
So I'd say there's a good likelihood that TS were trying to instill an 'air' of punishment and retribution with the wall-mounted dudes, and other aspects throughout their games. I couldn't personally tie it to Alessa in greater detail, but that's cos I've still not really figured out Alessa in my head yet. All I'm settled on with her is that thank fck Heather came along and took control of that situation for the betterment of mankind (whilst acknowledging that that remains relevant only in the good ending of 3). Given that TS have said ALL endings (apart from the joke ones, but even then maybe) are 'canon' (I'll never get the human need to absolutely categorise and finalise everything to fit nicely with everything else, it doesn't happen in life so why should it in entertainment?) because the story develops as you play it to end appropriately to how you played it.

One things for sure, don't be confusing the film world with the game world, that never makes sense, they're their own distinct and entirely separate universes. I'm not sure the adults of Silent Hill stood by whilst everything got fckd up around them, I'm not sure they even noticed. Those bodies maybe could be explained as representing any cult affiliates, town planners, mayors etc, as mentioned in the Book Of Lost Memories, or maybe they serve only to freak us out through the shocking nature of image alone?

Apologies for the rambling reply to your excellent observations, it's too easy to go off on one when considering the finer details of this darn series.
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Otherworld on Mon May 29, 2017 8:53 am

Alessa's fear for adults is evident throughout the walkthrough of Silent Hill. Harry see a ton of bodies hung on the wall. I too believe that it has a lot to do with her fear of adults.

I mean one the Romper is a perfect example.

Romper
(jumping creature/jack)

Area
Business district, resort
Character
Powerful monster that attacks with a body blow and pins down its victim
Metaphor
"Jumper." Manifestation of Alessa's fear of adults

Pazuzu

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Pazuzu on Mon May 29, 2017 6:04 pm

Wilsden Hills wrote:Apologies for the rambling reply to your excellent observations, it's too easy to go off on one when considering the finer details of this darn series.

No worries, glad you liked it :)

The Rompers are Alessa's fear of oppressive adults stronger than her while the bodies on the walls could be how she views the adults who stood by and did nothing to help her.

Otherworld

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Otherworld on Mon May 29, 2017 6:39 pm

I agree.

Standing idol when you can and should do something would have been a reaction seen by Alessa from adults in her life that may have had a chance to intervene while terrible things were happening to her.

Pazuzu

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Pazuzu on Mon May 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Exactly. The same indifference the adults showed Alessa was their punishment in the Otherworld, to be in an idle state where they can never get help.

Otherworld

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Otherworld on Tue May 30, 2017 8:34 am

It has a lot of similarity to the below.
Puppet Nurse - (parasitized nurse)
Area - Hospital, nowhere
Character:
Its speed and physical strength differ depending on its dressand hair style
Metaphor
"Puppet nurse." A nurse that has been parasitized by something. This parasitized body is the same as Cybil's after she becomes possessed.

Pazuzu

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Pazuzu on Tue May 30, 2017 5:13 pm

I didn't think about that but I can definitely see the similarities. The Puppet Nurses/Doctors were under the cult's orders and control like puppets and perhaps the bodies somehow factor into that as well. They're aligned on the walls like puppets awaiting use.

AgentAle47

Silent Hill survivor.

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by AgentAle47 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm pretty sure they must mean something, but honestly I can't think about anything concretely, but the clothes they're wearing, the position they are displayed, and the way they are shown, it's something very religious, seemed to me like they were some sort of members of the cult or sacrifices.
Welcome To Silent Hill (Community)

Otherworld

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Otherworld on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:53 am

A lot of them have robes like below.

If I am not mistaken, I believe there were comments made about that by the creators ....

Xuchilbara

Survival Whore

The Wall-Mounted Bodies

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Yes, Otherworld, you are correct. They stated somewhere in BOLM that the robes are specifically made to mimic the Order's.

However, come to think of it, the wall monsters in SH4 look like that unnamed monster in the elevator of 3.

(On the top with the 'red eye'.)
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Return to Silent Hill