Nachtwaechter

There is no reality, only perception.

Why, Alex, why...

Post by Nachtwaechter on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:03 pm

My apologies if this post is redundant since the game is so old and this thread is pretty much dead, but I haven't found anything in the forum rules indicating that it is not allowed to post in older topics as long as you contribute. So yeah, just in case anybody still cares, this is my take on the lake scene:

1. Why did they feel the need to hang out on the lake in the middle of the night?

a) They sneak out at night because it seems like Adam didn't approve of the brothers hanging out together.

If you listen to the Cassette Tape, you'll hear the following conversation:
Adam: I'm not yelling at you. Listen to me Josh, don't you think this is a little too silly for you? Do you wanna end up like Alex, playing all this make-believe?
Joshua: I don't know.
Adam: Alright, from now on just let Alex play with his own friends, okay. If you need a friend you can talk to me, got it?

We already know that Alex' parents treated him poorly to make things easier for them, but it seems like Adam also attempted to isolate him from his brother. Of course things are still awfully convenient, but if you keep this in mind, Alex and Josh sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night just to hang out may seem a little less weird.

b) The lake was chosen because Alex likes it there.

Pretty self-explanatory. I can't remember the exact text, but if you examine the boat-thingy in the Shepherds' basement, Alex will comment on how much fun he always used to have being out on the lake.
Additionally he is raving about summer in his diary, and I think it's safe to say that the lake must have contributed at least somewhat to all his happy memories:
Damn, I just got really homesick for a second thinking about summertime.
Long story short, while all the adults might have told him to stay away, the lake is mainly a positive place for Alex. But maybe there's more to it.

c) In addition to rebelling against his Dad, Alex might also have tried to mess up Adam's and Josh's relationship.

First, let's look at one of the photos left behind by Joshua:
Alex dared me to go into dad's room. I took this picture for proof. I wasn't scared. Dad doesn't care if I come in here. He just doesn't want Alex to.
So Alex dared him to enter the hunting room, huh? That's kind of a dick move. He's well aware of the fact that his father is not exactly fond of having his kids snooping around in a room full of hunting equipment, and yet he still challenges Joshua.

And then, when he spends some time with his brother, he chooses to go to the lake, knowing full well that it is yet another taboo place.
It almost seems like Alex wants Joshua to get in trouble. He's tired of being the black sheep while Joshua gets away with everything.

The conversation they're having on the lake is also quite interesting.
Alex: Dad thinks you're a little baby who can't do anything on his own.
Sure, that line can be interpreted as nothing more than teasing, but I think it could also be seen as an attempt to drive a wedge between Josh and Adam.
His father treats him like a baby, but Alex is different. Alex lets him participate in all the grown-up things like staying up late, sneaking out and going to forbidden places.

So it seems like he attempted to make Adam dislike Josh by encouraging his rebellious side, while also trying to make Josh resent his father by reminding him that he's constantly being babied and underestimated.

2. So does that mean Alex hated Josh?

Not necessarily, but a part of Alex must have blamed Josh for his shitty family life. Let's check his diary again:
I remember the day he was born how happy my parents were. It was almost like relief. Joshua’s ten years younger than me and I think they were trying to have another kid the entire time so I think they were just glad he was healthy. They pretty much spoiled him from that day on. I didn’t mind it at first, because he and I get along great. But they basically wrote me off after he showed up. Even now, I haven’t received a single letter from them since I left. I don’t bother with mail call.
Growing up, Alex obviously didn't know anything about the Order or his fate as a sacrifice. To him, it must have seemed like he simply wasn't good enough for his parents anymore when Josh came along, so they just gave up on him alltogether. Even if he doesn't hate Josh, he hates what he represents: He's the "baby", the one who stole his spotlight. This idea is also somewhat reflected in the monster and level designs. There are Amnion and the Needlers who represent childbirth in a very grotesque way, the fetus inside the Nurses, the baby cries you can hear in Alchemilla as well as the charred baby doll in the incubator, the vagina-like walls with teeth Alex has to cut through occasionally...

Sorry for the long post.

Silenthill4life

Why, Alex, why...

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:50 am

Nachtwaechter wrote:My apologies if this post is redundant since the game is so old and this thread is pretty much dead, but I haven't found anything in the forum rules indicating that it is not allowed to post in older topics as long as you contribute. So yeah, just in case anybody still cares, this is my take on the lake scene:

1. Why did they feel the need to hang out on the lake in the middle of the night?

a) They sneak out at night because it seems like Adam didn't approve of the brothers hanging out together.

If you listen to the Cassette Tape, you'll hear the following conversation:
Adam: I'm not yelling at you. Listen to me Josh, don't you think this is a little too silly for you? Do you wanna end up like Alex, playing all this make-believe?
Joshua: I don't know.
Adam: Alright, from now on just let Alex play with his own friends, okay. If you need a friend you can talk to me, got it?

We already know that Alex' parents treated him poorly to make things easier for them, but it seems like Adam also attempted to isolate him from his brother. Of course things are still awfully convenient, but if you keep this in mind, Alex and Josh sneaking out of the house in the middle of the night just to hang out may seem a little less weird.

b) The lake was chosen because Alex likes it there.

Pretty self-explanatory. I can't remember the exact text, but if you examine the boat-thingy in the Shepherds' basement, Alex will comment on how much fun he always used to have being out on the lake.
Additionally he is raving about summer in his diary, and I think it's safe to say that the lake must have contributed at least somewhat to all his happy memories:
Damn, I just got really homesick for a second thinking about summertime.
Long story short, while all the adults might have told him to stay away, the lake is mainly a positive place for Alex. But maybe there's more to it.

c) In addition to rebelling against his Dad, Alex might also have tried to mess up Adam's and Josh's relationship.

First, let's look at one of the photos left behind by Joshua:
Alex dared me to go into dad's room. I took this picture for proof. I wasn't scared. Dad doesn't care if I come in here. He just doesn't want Alex to.
So Alex dared him to enter the hunting room, huh? That's kind of a dick move. He's well aware of the fact that his father is not exactly fond of having his kids snooping around in a room full of hunting equipment, and yet he still challenges Joshua.

And then, when he spends some time with his brother, he chooses to go to the lake, knowing full well that it is yet another taboo place.
It almost seems like Alex wants Joshua to get in trouble. He's tired of being the black sheep while Joshua gets away with everything.

The conversation they're having on the lake is also quite interesting.
Alex: Dad thinks you're a little baby who can't do anything on his own.
Sure, that line can be interpreted as nothing more than teasing, but I think it could also be seen as an attempt to drive a wedge between Josh and Adam.
His father treats him like a baby, but Alex is different. Alex lets him participate in all the grown-up things like staying up late, sneaking out and going to forbidden places.

So it seems like he attempted to make Adam dislike Josh by encouraging his rebellious side, while also trying to make Josh resent his father by reminding him that he's constantly being babied and underestimated.

2. So does that mean Alex hated Josh?

Not necessarily, but a part of Alex must have blamed Josh for his shitty family life. Let's check his diary again:
I remember the day he was born how happy my parents were. It was almost like relief. Joshua’s ten years younger than me and I think they were trying to have another kid the entire time so I think they were just glad he was healthy. They pretty much spoiled him from that day on. I didn’t mind it at first, because he and I get along great. But they basically wrote me off after he showed up. Even now, I haven’t received a single letter from them since I left. I don’t bother with mail call.
Growing up, Alex obviously didn't know anything about the Order or his fate as a sacrifice. To him, it must have seemed like he simply wasn't good enough for his parents anymore when Josh came along, so they just gave up on him alltogether. Even if he doesn't hate Josh, he hates what he represents: He's the "baby", the one who stole his spotlight. This idea is also somewhat reflected in the monster and level designs. There are Amnion and the Needlers who represent childbirth in a very grotesque way, the fetus inside the Nurses, the baby cries you can hear in Alchemilla as well as the charred baby doll in the incubator, the vagina-like walls with teeth Alex has to cut through occasionally...

Sorry for the long post.

I enjoyed reading this.

NukezNitro

Why, Alex, why...

Post by NukezNitro on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:56 pm

But that's what makes this game so awesome (to me anyway) because Alex's motives for the things he does are subjective and each player can take from his actions what they want.
REVEAL SPOILER
Is he a premeditated killer in denial over his brother's murder and do his fond memories on the lake have a more sinister undertone in regards to that night, with the agressive dialogue options being a showcase of his real anger and hatred to others and disregard of their feelings and well being. The 'nice' options could just be a facade depending on how you look at it

OR
Is he a nice guy unfortunately alienated by his own family with an understandable jealouy towards his brother not only for being the golden child but also because he's simply a weak target for him to pin some blame just to try and get some understanding as to why he was treated he way he was.
REVEAL SPOILER
And a simply unlucky event took away his brother that he cared very deeply for to the point of traumatisation leaving him unaware of his actions and indeed his brother's death as its the only way he managed to hide the deep emotional pain
His pleasnatness to people he meets with the 'nice' dialogue is genuine and a bad thing happened to a good person

Of course these are just the polar opposites as there are many more interpretations taking aspects of both views and greying to form new ones. I know I've rambled on a bit. Basically its subjective and unique to each player is what I'm trying to say

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Why, Alex, why...

Post by clips7 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:53 pm

One thing I did remember about Alex was that he was very dark or sinister when he was talking to Josh on that boat..almost as if he was planning to do something.

Now maybe the dev's wanted to show that maybe Alex was jealous of Josh for how their parents treated him, but in that scene, they made it seem like Alex was up to something very sinister towards Josh.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Previous

Return to Silent Hill Homecoming