Introduce yourself to others and become acquainted in our Silent Hill Community.

Ren of Heavens

Sega fanatic

Have you seen a little girl?

Post by Ren of Heavens on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:14 pm

Been skulking around in the shadows like a movie Order member for a bit browsing through the forums; found some threads pretty hilarious and I’m liking all the research/theories going on.

Real name is John. I’m in my final year of uni (the Silent Hill OSTs have really helped) and am a big fan of Silent Hill. Got into the franchise two years ago with the HD Collection, then I played the original SH2 & SH3 on PC including all the other games in the series (except Book of Memories). Silent Hill is my second favourite series and I want to slap myself with a salmon for not joining this place sooner.
Can’t wait to get to know you all!

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

User is Online

Post by Oohfakanorus on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi John!
Glad you found the place, where are you from?
And welcome!
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Greetings and Salutations John. What is your favourite series?

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Post by Princess Kenny on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:31 pm

Welcome to the world of tomorrow.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:23 pm

Hello and welcome! Watch out for the Greys. Image

Xuchilbara

Survival Whore

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi and welcome. I saw your initial post and liked it. There's no like button on the forum so I didn't say anything. :D
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Kivi

Post by Kivi on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Welcome to the town john!

The name's Kayvan and I'm here looking for the truth behind the death of my sister!(which I'm pretty sure I had a hand in it!) wonder why you are here!!

Ren of Heavens

Sega fanatic

Post by Ren of Heavens on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:43 pm

Hey, sorry for late reply. Thanks guys, nice to meet you all. Couple of you had some questions so:

Oohfakanorus
I’m Portuguese and live in England – the land of red buses, Jeremy Kyle and bad smiles (Yay Simpsons!).

Otherworld
My top two favourite series would be Shenmue and Silent Hill.

Kivi
Trying to figure out if I’m pregnant with a demon god. The test kits were out of stock.

Will be seeing you guys around! :D

MurphyPendleton

Don't Call Me Cupcake

Post by MurphyPendleton on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Hey John, what is your favorite game in the Silent Hill series?

Ren of Heavens

Sega fanatic

Post by Ren of Heavens on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:00 pm

It alternates between SH2, SH3 and SH4. Lately I’ve become more interested in SH3.

SH2 is amazing. It’s probably one of the closest candidates for the ‘video games are art’ arguments since the game is full of symbolism and invites personal interpretation. For example, I’ve always suspected whether Laura is actually 100% real – which I know might be controversial but nonetheless is still in the back of my mind as a small doubt. I used to watch an amazing you tuber who analysed Silent Hill 2 using her literature degree to draw comparisons to Dante’s Inferno and explain possible metaphors in the game such as mirrors, stairs, cradles, holes, butterflies to even the save points. This really strengthened my interest in the game seeing how much the creators knew which I didn’t fully notice on my first playthrough. It’s a really intelligent masterpiece.

Silent Hill 3 has the best OST in my opinion. It’s probably the creepiest out of the series, the level design is just so oppressive. Heather is totally badass and very relatable; I really love her quirks here and there (e.g. ‘Looks like God didn’t make it’). It also has a great amount of mythology, e.g. Aztec, Jewish and the Occult. I once did an entire research on Silent Hill 3 and made a file of notes to help me understand it better which really shows the scope of knowledge Team Silent had. Recently I’ve been liking it a lot more because it has a far more oppressive, dark atmosphere which I didn’t really appreciate the first time around before realising just how rich Silent Hill 3 actually is in its story.

Silent Hill 4 does get repetitive, the inventory system is a hassle and it doesn’t even take place in Silent Hill for the most part, rather focussing on the power of the town extending outward. Still I really like this experimental chapter in the series. Loved the stuff going on with Walter and the game had in my opinion some of the creepiest enemy designs (that trailer from 2004 still creeps me out). After playing it on PC when I had insomnia and getting to that last level before the final boss just really struck me what an amazing game I was playing, even if it broke the conventions slightly to try and experiment with new things.

Leonard Wolf

Just another resident of Silent Hill

Post by Leonard Wolf on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:23 pm

Welcome.

Crystopsy

Canadian Role Model

Post by Crystopsy on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:28 pm

Hello and welcome! :pirate:

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:55 am

Ren of Heavens wrote:It alternates between SH2, SH3 and SH4. Lately I’ve become more interested in SH3.

SH2 is amazing. It’s probably one of the closest candidates for the ‘video games are art’ arguments since the game is full of symbolism and invites personal interpretation. For example, I’ve always suspected whether Laura is actually 100% real – which I know might be controversial but nonetheless is still in the back of my mind as a small doubt. I used to watch an amazing you tuber who analysed Silent Hill 2 using her literature degree to draw comparisons to Dante’s Inferno and explain possible metaphors in the game such as mirrors, stairs, cradles, holes, butterflies to even the save points. This really strengthened my interest in the game seeing how much the creators knew which I didn’t fully notice on my first playthrough. It’s a really intelligent masterpiece.

Silent Hill 3 has the best OST in my opinion. It’s probably the creepiest out of the series, the level design is just so oppressive. Heather is totally badass and very relatable; I really love her quirks here and there (e.g. ‘Looks like God didn’t make it’). It also has a great amount of mythology, e.g. Aztec, Jewish and the Occult. I once did an entire research on Silent Hill 3 and made a file of notes to help me understand it better which really shows the scope of knowledge Team Silent had. Recently I’ve been liking it a lot more because it has a far more oppressive, dark atmosphere which I didn’t really appreciate the first time around before realising just how rich Silent Hill 3 actually is in its story.

Silent Hill 4 does get repetitive, the inventory system is a hassle and it doesn’t even take place in Silent Hill for the most part, rather focussing on the power of the town extending outward. Still I really like this experimental chapter in the series. Loved the stuff going on with Walter and the game had in my opinion some of the creepiest enemy designs (that trailer from 2004 still creeps me out). After playing it on PC when I had insomnia and getting to that last level before the final boss just really struck me what an amazing game I was playing, even if it broke the conventions slightly to try and experiment with new things.

Welcome! Don't need to hurry or slap yourself with a salmon, this community has a long story and got no time to stop. I guess you're playing with ps3, right? My advice to you is to buy SH1 now, I'm sure you'll love it!

Ren of Heavens

Sega fanatic

Post by Ren of Heavens on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Thank you, I appreciate people who bother with things like welcoming a newbie because I probably wouldn't. :lol: And I actually have played SH1 - twice in fact. Really enjoyed it. I really dug the whole Jewish mythology that was going on and that school is just...*shivers.*

Probably not one of my favourites though, feel bad for saying that. Just found the first 3 PS2 games a bit more interesting.

Return to Welcome to Silent Hill