Forum for all other Silent Hill-related discussion.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

The OFFICIAL State of Silent Hill/Survival Horror thread,II

Post by Otherworld on Thu May 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Guerilla wrote:The problem with that, even with Kojima stepping back to a mere producer role, would be him choosing what team would be befitting to work on the series. That's pretty fucking scary, dude. The guy is not somebody you go to for anything horror related.

To this I can only say .... although it is only rumors .... that Ito's name has already been mentioned as someone that would be a part of this team .....

STAFF NOTE:
what wrote:Okay, so I just closed about nine hundred threads, all of them either about, or taken over by, the ongoing war between Silent Hill fans and Team Silent fans (to say nothing of the suffering individuals who don't care).

So, now there will be one. This one. All discussions of this kind, including but not limited to Team Silent vs. Western devs, TwinPerfect, which country has the better horror, the future of the survival horror genre, etc. will be done here, or directed here if it pops up elsewhere.

Shine on, you crazy diamonds.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu May 01, 2014 3:55 pm

Guerilla wrote:Even then, why not just make a new IP? That would be a more compelling idea and use of time than putting him on Silent Hill?

Agreed. But really yo lets get that fox engine from him it's gorgeous. ZoE if I recall correctly was strictly his ip but heh fuck if I'm gonna google it.

The thing about amnesia is that it doesn't do much for me when I'm away from it. It's fun to play sure but it doesn't stick with me. I could play for like an hour and forget about it twenty minutes after I'm done playing.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Moss

Post by Moss on Thu May 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Otherworld wrote:
Guerilla wrote:The problem with that, even with Kojima stepping back to a mere producer role, would be him choosing what team would be befitting to work on the series. That's pretty fucking scary, dude. The guy is not somebody you go to for anything horror related.

To this I can only say .... although it is only rumors .... that Ito's name has already been mentioned as someone that would be a part of this team .....

Considering Kojima's belief that original staff retain integrity of a franchise, including with remakes, Kazuhide Nakazawa and Suguru Murakosh would most likely be involved with active management from Kojima's studio and also someone iconic as Ito probably contacted. As Kojima's expertise and experience are unrelated to horror, I highly doubt he has the courage to take the reins fully, micromanaging much, and I don't believe he will have the arrogance (or incompetence) to assign incongruous staff as a seasoned producer.
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu May 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Ito worked on MGS4 btw
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Moss

Post by Moss on Thu May 01, 2014 8:11 pm

BillMurraylives wrote:Ito worked on MGS4 btw

He still has it - his cover art:

Definitely appreciate him as an artist. :)
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Thu May 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Not very reassuring.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu May 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Guerilla wrote:
Not very reassuring.

He does good work come on dude quit being a debby downer

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Thu May 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Moss wrote:

Isn't that the Japanese cover for Downpour? I love it! Why couldn't we get something that good? :x

Moss

Post by Moss on Fri May 02, 2014 12:55 am

Sophia Peletier wrote:
Moss wrote:

Isn't that the Japanese cover for Downpour? I love it! Why couldn't we get something that good? :x

Yep! His fantastic work is showcased at:
http://www.geocities.jp/nobu_hill/index.html

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri May 02, 2014 12:58 am

Yeah Ito's Downpour cover is sick. Now if they could have just used him for some of those monster designs.... ;) I'm with otherworld in that i've always stated that it made the most sense for konami to channel kojima for his engine, since it'd be like them using an in-house product.

Let kojima produce it, but keep him away from anything related to the story...konami should try to restore the teams that worked on the old games to really garner some excitement and have Ito create some weird and obscure creature designs? ( i think he stated that he'd be open to do work on a SH game and with his cover's for homecoming and downpour, it shows that konami can still use his artwork and can get in touch with him at a moments notice)....a SH game with kojima name attached to it AND developers from the old games?.....that announcement alone will have folks pre-ordering before it's even developed!...XD

Just wanted to add that i too am getting a bit tired of seeing these clones of amnesia *i'm looking at you Daylight, Outlast*...i think there has been a lack of games in general overall...quite honestly everytime i check over at ign, all i ever here are psn and independent games being developed for these next gen systems.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Moss

Post by Moss on Fri May 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Two upcoming releases, inSANE and DreadOut, are looking rather promising, not following typical horror architecture of an asylum with zombies and Clive Barker incarnations.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri May 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Moss wrote:Two upcoming releases, inSANE

I thought the only things known about that game were Guillermo del Toro involvement and the title.

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Fri May 02, 2014 1:36 pm

clips7 wrote:Yeah Ito's Downpour cover is sick. Now if they could have just used him for some of those monster designs.... ;) I'm with otherworld in that i've always stated that it made the most sense for konami to channel kojima for his engine, since it'd be like them using an in-house product.

Let kojima produce it, but keep him away from anything related to the story...konami should try to restore the teams that worked on the old games to really garner some excitement and have Ito create some weird and obscure creature designs? ( i think he stated that he'd be open to do work on a SH game and with his cover's for homecoming and downpour, it shows that konami can still use his artwork and can get in touch with him at a moments notice)....a SH game with kojima name attached to it AND developers from the old games?.....that announcement alone will have folks pre-ordering before it's even developed!...XD

Just wanted to add that i too am getting a bit tired of seeing these clones of amnesia *i'm looking at you Daylight, Outlast*...i think there has been a lack of games in general overall...quite honestly everytime i check over at ign, all i ever here are psn and independent games being developed for these next gen systems.
No, Kojima does not even need to be in a producer role. He should not have any role whatsoever in the development of any SH game period. No, having Kojima's name attached would not ensure people would pre-oder the game before it's even developed. This isn't MGS we're talking about. And how does having one "Team Silent" suddenly translate to "developers from the old games"? How does one person warrant a plural usage of developer? Having Ito involved would not suddenly produce a great SH game. It takes more than one person to make a SH game. That's a sentiment Ito himself echoed on his twitter somewhere.

Even if Kojima being involved does make the game sell well, it doesn't mean it would be a good SH game. Quite the opposite as a matter of fact. Downpour sold like ass, but the game itself was quite good. I don't care how well the game would sell if it ends up being terrible which is guarantee involving the likes of that hack.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Fri May 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Jesus dude, you seem pretty sure that Kohima would be a terrible person to have any involvement. DUde has made some solid titles whether you think so or not. And downpour sold poorly because it is a poor game.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri May 02, 2014 3:55 pm

Hey Guerilla, just one question ..... if Kojima ends up with this franchise. The game is made and released with good reviews, would you purchase it ?

Or does your Kojima hate run that deep ?

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri May 02, 2014 4:11 pm

And downpour sold poorly because it is a poor game.

I'd say the main reason it sold poorly was because it wasn't marketed at all. I never saw any ads for that game anywhere besides some tiny web banners on random websites. Who will buy the game when they don't even know it exists? Even some hardcore horror fan friends of mine who were looking forward to the game didn't even know it was out, that's how little fanfare there was, lol.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Fri May 02, 2014 4:28 pm

NarooN wrote:

I'd say the main reason it sold poorly was because it wasn't marketed at all. I never saw any ads for that game anywhere besides some tiny web banners on random websites. Who will buy the game when they don't even know it exists? Even some hardcore horror fan friends of mine who were looking forward to the game didn't even know it was out, that's how little fanfare there was, lol.

I saw ads for it? Though I concede it's marketing was terrible. I think I even saw it on a bus! Also didn't the game coincide with the release of the revelation. Movie?

KiramidHead

Little Bamboo

Post by KiramidHead on Fri May 02, 2014 4:42 pm

BillMurraylives wrote:
NarooN wrote:

I saw ads for it? Though I concede it's marketing was terrible. I think I even saw it on a bus! Also didn't the game coincide with the release of the revelation. Movie?

Konami timed the release to coincide with the HD collection and Book of Memories, as part of a "Month of Madness or some stupid shit like that, which basically oversaturated the market.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri May 02, 2014 5:03 pm

OK, here are my reasons for thinking why The Evil Within may not turn out to be that great, the so called "return of survival horror" like some call it. I won't focus on the graphics because I don't believe something like that is so important.

- for a game being advertised as "survival horror" (though, later they said it's gonna be a mix between survival and action) isn't really showing "survival" so much, most of it is showing actiony things

- the survival parts we do see don't seem so long and just seem to become scripted chase scenes (like that chainsaw guy part, which become ridiculous with him activating that death trap), not sure how to describe it, look at Siren Blood Curse and compare it to "survival" parts of this game (from what we've seen so far, who knows I might be very wrong, might be just the case of not advertising it well, like I wrote up, or it's maybe actiony

- to continue with the "not really survival" stuff, seems like the people who played the demo think it's all about action

- it seems to be a little too much like RE, newer ones that is, this might be nitpicking, but I expected something a little different, you know

- this one is really subjective, but from what we've seen I didn't find really so scary, mostly weird, now I don't really expect horror games to scare me nowadays, rarely that happens, but I just don't feel it, like I wrote, it mostly looks weird and random (I have no problem with that, I like that kind of stuff):

What were they smoking reaction: Yes.

Scary: Not really.

I'm sure there were more things I wanted to say, but I can't remember them.

BBrad

Post by BBrad on Fri May 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I think it's going to be a great game

Next

Return to Silent Hill General Discussion