Harry Mason

Should I even bother getting this?

Post by Harry Mason on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:32 pm

I have Silent Hill 2 and 3 on PS2 and they work just fine. I love those games a lot so I was planning on getting this HD collection just to see the changes. However after hearing about all the glitches and other stuff with the voices not matching the lip movements, etc, should I just skip buying the HD collection?

Is it even worth buying when the game eventually drops to a lower clearance price, or should I just replay 2 and 3 on PS2?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:45 pm

I have SH2/3 for PS2 and for PC, which is good because I dont have a working PS2.

I preordered SHHD for PS3, and a few weeks later, I sold my copy back on amazon.com because I didn't want it. If you have working copies, I wouldn't personally recommend it. I still think the best visual experience is on the PC, but the best gameplay was on [older] consoles. If you're not a collector and don't care about trophies/achievements, I don't see much point if you have the games in playable versions. [shrugs]
ImageImage

astro

Post by astro on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:46 pm

The changes mostly consistent of stuff they've removed or broken, and it doesn't look good enough to justify the technical issues because they've partially broken that too, I'd stick with your original copies if I were you.

Harry Mason

Post by Harry Mason on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks, I will stick with the PS2 games then, I am not wasting my money on this. I was planning on replaying them soon since I have only played each Silent Hill game once.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:22 pm

If you wanna play them in HD, just get the PC versions (torrent them if you must, they're pretty rare) and use a gamepad. When I did play the games, I used my DualShock 3 to do so.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Did you get SH2 to work with gamepad? I couldn't. I don't even care though, because it looks nice. SH3 works beautifully on my computers with a gamepad, though. Check amazon or ebay for used copies of of PC versions, don't know what they're going for these days though, I bought mine years ago.
ImageImage

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:43 am

For gamepad on SH2, I had to use a different program to make it work. I used Xpadder, you can basically map the gamepad's buttons and analog sticks to emulate your keyboard's keys and your mouse. It's annoying to setup in SH2's case since you need to write down which buttons do what from the game, then go and map them in the program, but at least you can save a configuration so you only have to do it once.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:43 am

I just made a good button combination and playing SH 2 was very easy on the keyboard.

kyleb

Post by kyleb on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:25 pm

nur_ein_tier wrote:Did you get SH2 to work with gamepad?

I've always used SH2's built-in controller support without issue. What controller are you trying to use, and is it working partially or not at all? And when you said the older console versions have better gameplay, I'm guessing were you just referring to controllers being more suited to the games than keyboard and mouse?
Last edited by kyleb on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:45 pm.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:45 pm

devil hunter wrote:I just made a good button combination and playing SH 2 was very easy on the keyboard.

When my friend had it installed on his laptop, we didn't use a gamepad. The keyboard worked fine enough, just that gamepads are much more suited for this type of game than a keyboard is.

_Bleaux

Keeper of the Faith

Post by _Bleaux on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Good luck on finding the torrents though, I have successfully downloaded several 'incomplete' versions which wouldn't allow me to play them no matter what happened.

Had the same problem trying to 'acquire' RE4 on the computer a while back as well. Maybe I am just ridiculously unlucky.
I am the Third, a master, a sentinel of awakeness.
I hold truth like a torch, shadows flicker before me.
Rapid eyes follow the train of thought, until the silence ends.

SilentHill19

Post by SilentHill19 on Thu May 10, 2012 10:57 am

This is a excellent pick up, but all original remakes are; I got the remake of the Halo: Combat Evolved and I was mildly impressed. Anytime you can get two classic games for a cheap price, its always worth it, especially SH2 & SH3.. love it.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Thu May 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Those are not remakes though.

Crystopsy

Canadian Role Model

Post by Crystopsy on Thu May 10, 2012 1:15 pm

I think your best bet is to keep the copies you have right now, or download the HD PC torrents. Either or, It will be a much more enjoyable experience overall.

Mindseye

Protecting Lisa

Post by Mindseye on Thu May 17, 2012 10:21 am

I actually have to disagree on this one. I am pleased with the HD Collection *so far* and to be fair - I have not played the entire thing through yet. So far I have had no issues, and DAMN the games look amazing!! My only gripe is that when you play SH2 you get a choice on original voices, or new voices. As far as I can tell, when you play SH3 you get no choice. It's new voices or nothing. Other than that, I love the thing. Buy it for a new appreciation of IMO, the two best games in the series.
In Heaven's Night having a few...

Ratiocinator

Partner

Undeniably Nerdy. Exceedingly Cool.

Post by Ratiocinator on Thu May 17, 2012 12:26 pm

You should wait until the patches come out, then wait to hear customer responses of if this patch will actually fixes things, then go from there. Besides, the game may go down in price by then. Win-win if the patches actually patch.

Mr_Dante

I'm living in Hong Kong! 香港

Post by Mr_Dante on Tue May 22, 2012 7:30 am

Ratiocinator wrote:You should wait until the patches come out, then wait to hear customer responses of if this patch will actually fixes things, then go from there. Besides, the game may go down in price by then. Win-win if the patches actually patch.

This is what I'm thinking of doing. I'll keep checking up on the new patch release, and when everything is sweet, glitch free HD Silent Hill goodness I'll then consider making my purchase.
Image 哎呀!

zaphod

Post by zaphod on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:37 am

this is a must have, if you dont have it anywhere else i would recommend the HDC. purchase. just remember that you are buying a couple of 10 year old games and you will be OK.

Also dont expect some vaporware "patch" to fix non-issues cause it aint happening. dont believe half of what you hear.

Ratiocinator

Partner

Undeniably Nerdy. Exceedingly Cool.

Post by Ratiocinator on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:17 pm

zaphod wrote:this is a must have, if you dont have it anywhere else i would recommend the HDC. purchase. just remember that you are buying a couple of 10 year old games and you will be OK.

Also dont expect some vaporware "patch" to fix non-issues cause it aint happening. dont believe half of what you hear.

What in the hell are you talking about?

Laid out for you:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... nt-hill-hd
http://alchemillahospital.net/shhd-is-s ... elling-it/
http://alchemillahospital.net/shhd-xbox ... ems-video/
http://shshatteredmemories.com/blog/201 ... ollection/
viewtopic.php?f=3328&t=433754
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... ion-review
http://www.destructoid.com/review-silen ... 4478.phtml
http://www.gameinformer.com/membergroup ... px#1794906

Next Fear

Night of Fire!