In light of Downpour finally coming out (well, in North America at least) where does it sit in your Silent Hill totem pole?
Here's mine: Silent Hill 3 Silent Hill 1 Silent Hill: Downpour Silent Hill 4 Silent Hill 2 Silent Hill: Homecoming Silent Hill: Origins Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
It's kinda hard to replace the originals, but despite the technical screw ups and somewhat bland enemy designs I think it's easily the best Western Silent Hill so far with one of the best protagonists in the series. It does a great job of harking back to the feel of the original games while feeling brand new. And I hope the sidequests continue to be a part of the series.
captain crowbar wrote:Let's see...in terms of favorites...
4 Downpour 2 1 SM 3 HC O
A weird ordering of the list. It's really fun seeing what everyones favorites are. This has to be the strangest one I've seen.
I have really weird tastes. Other than 1, 2, and 4, I don't have the crippling effect Nostalgia brings into the equation. And Downpour slapped me in the face with a bucket of sexy sauce, so it's forever in my top 5 at least.
Silent Hill 2 Silent Hill 3 Silent Hill Downpour Silent Hill 1 Silent Hill Homecoming Silent Hill Origins Silent Hill 4 Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Unfinished)
I believe I base my love of the games on characters and design...I guess that's the only justification for ranking Homecoming so high. Honestly, I feel like Downpour could be my favorite if it wasn't for James' story and the excellent design of the levels in SH3 that set the bar so high.
I owe SH4 another go. I don't think I'm being fair...
Silent Hill 4: The Room Silent Hill 1 & 3 Silent Hill 6: Homecoming Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams / Silent Hill 7: Shattered Memories Silent Hill 5: Origins Silent Hill 8: Downpour
The story is more important to me than anything else so I rank in that order. I look at uniqueness, depth, breadth, integration, integrity and development. Believe me, I'm really trying to like Downpour but it isn't giving me many reasons to.
"Chaos is merely the realm of the infinite possibilities. Imagination is merely a spinning wheel pulling threads of reality from that realm. Thought is merely a loom weaving those threads into the fabric of existence." -Someone
1: Silent Hill: Downpour Believe it or not, this game in my opinion is the best game out of all of them. I'm not blinded by nolgastic, so I looked and payed attention to this game quite a bit. In MY opinion, I feel as if the story was well thought out (And it felt very personal to me), the symbolisum was to die for, the combat (Who most say it was broken) was my favorite out of the series, and I frick'n love the puzzles.. buuuut the monster design was lazy, the frame rate sorta annoyed me, and the difference between puzzle difficulty was sorta disapointing. Not enough to make it go down the list though, plus I city layout. Reminded me of my near by town.
2. Silent Hill 3 I'm a sucker for a female protag to be honest, but the way the game was design made me happy. I loved the puzzles, I loved how the story can be a story of it's own (You don't need to play the first one), and I felt that the levels were always working against me. I seemed to get very claustrophobia throughout the game.
3. Silent Hill 2 Currently playing this one, of course I like the story and now that they have new voice actors, the cutscenes are... far more barable (Hated the original VA's). I really dig the puzzles in this game and the symbolisim as well. The story itself is pretty damn good too and I enjoy the level layout as well. Not as much as downpours though...
4: Silent Hill: Orgins Normally I'd agree with all of you and say this game sucks.... however that would be total BS if I did. I loved this game, it's one of my tops. Yeeeaah the combat sucked... and the motivation that kept you going foward sucked as well. (I reeaaally am uninterested with the cult in this game) however what made it #4 in my list is the fact that the cult wasn't the focus of story. Throughout the game you are basically fighting your own phsyc. With your parents and whatnot, and I really like it. Plus, they had some of best level designs out of the games. (I frick'n loved the Cedar Grove Sanitarium)
5. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories I hated the combat, and the puzzles were very "Eh" HOWEVER I absolutly loved the story and the physc profiling that changes the game. Also enjoyed all the little "Txts" and "Voice messages". The highschool was also one of my personal favorite levels. Guess this game just reminded me a lot of the things I went through. I know from the age of 15-19 I was addicted to txting on my phone.
6. Silent Hill 1 Shocker! This is low on the list. Don't get me wrong, it was a great game... however it was heavily focused on the occult and as I said, I don't really like stories such as that. Only reason this isn't at the bottom is because I really enjoyed the puzzles and symbolisim in this game.
7. Silent Hill: 4 I DID like it, but idk I just felt as if it could of done better. The story was pretty good but I really hated the "Ghosts" and all the backtracking. I know Silent Hill is about backtracking, but.. c'mon 4 was just a bit way to much. However this isn't at the bottom because I was very freaked out in the apartment. It made me feel extreamly claustrophobia.. specially when the safe areas of the house started to get smaller and smaller. I also hate the feeling of being trapped... And the level designs was pretty awesome too (LOVED the building and apartment world) this game though, I've only played it once... wasn't ever really interested in playing again.
8. Silent Hill: Homecoming Not much to say on this one. It was fun, but I felt not personal attatchment to it, the story was "Eh", the combat had to much focus, and the puzzles were pussy puzzles. The only thing it did make me feel, was the fact that Alex and Josh reminded me of my little brother and I. Back before this game came out, him and I never really got along buuut eventually I grew up and now we get along better. Other than that.. Homecoming didn't do much for me... oh I did love the "Lady in the hole" quest.