PyramidHead316

Silent Hill 0rigins is missing something

Post by PyramidHead316 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:10 pm

I think Silent Hill 0rigins is a great game and a worthy sequel to the series. I'm not discussing that. But I noticed there's something missing that was there before in the other games. There's no weirdness.

In the earlier games, there's a definite aura of weirdness. I was playing SH3 last night and the weirdness factor is still present - the sense that things can happen at any time for no reason whatsoever. Even in SH4, there's an aura of weirdness that baffled us, and that was one of the major things it had going for it. We see a lot of things that don't make sense and the game doesn't attempt to make sense of, even taking in the explanation of Walter and the 21 Sacraments.

I hope they bring that back in SHV, regardless of whatever other stuff they do. I miss the sense of weirdness in the other games. Maybe it's because the town is just getting started with turning into the place of judgment it can be, or because the world Alessa controls is depressing and bleak rather than strange. Outside of the story, maybe the team just didn't have any idea on how to make things more unexpected.

I like SH0, and I thought it was a great effort by the British team from Climax. But I think they could have done a better job of making the game more unexpected.

Something to look forward to in SHV! :) Hopefully The Collective will take a page from this and amp up the oddity factor in the game.

NightFlutter

Prodigal Son?!

Post by NightFlutter on Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:57 pm

When you say weirdness, do you mean like how in the prison in SH2, the doors are on the walls and ceiling? And the random holes and buzzing? Things like that?

I agree, I did miss that...it did feel like something was missing from that game. The weirdest thing that I remember, and the only one really, were the dolls and the rooms that corresponded with them. That was about it.
"I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist."

Floodclaw

Post by Floodclaw on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:25 pm

I felt the same way.
It was just too......normal. A game with monsters. PLEH.
I got bored very quickly, even if I did try to like it :P

PyramidHead316

Post by PyramidHead316 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:42 pm

NightFlutter wrote:When you say weirdness, do you mean like how in the prison in SH2, the doors are on the walls and ceiling? And the random holes and buzzing? Things like that?

I was thinking of the buzzing and the ambience you hear in the prison section. And in SH3, Valtiel is there, and you don't even know what he's doing (besides watching Heather). He wanders the chapel and that adds something to the game, to see him wandering around without trying to harm you. The phone call Heather receives definitely comes to mind.
In SH2, you have the whole labyrinth section, and the things you find in the prison. Take the bathroom where you hear something crash. It's startling, but it also comes out of nowhere. SH4 has plenty of it, since they took out a lot of the fright. The upside down room, the things you find on your way down in Walter's world, and the Double Heads that turn out to be smaller than expected, and are forming an optical illusion with the hallway. The things in the area with the winding stairs, particularly. The lamb and the baby could be representative of things, but they're still weird.

SH1 was very reminiscent of many horror movies, so you already had the weirdness factor. There were all those references and bizarre posters, and the monsters. Not grotesque, but far from Resident Evil's standard monsters. And of course, there's the all-time weirdest gag in the series - the game show you receive in SH2. I think the oddities were a sign of creativity in the earlier games.

The guys at Climax are good at emulating the series' style, but I wish they'd put more thought into original ideas that put their own touches on the game. I agree that the only really weird thing about the setting are the dolls with the puzzle in the Sanitarium.

Actually, I found the carrions to be kinda weird in the way they walk, but I seem to be the only one who thinks so (besides IGN, possibly).

Lobsel Vith

Post by Lobsel Vith on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:55 pm

If there was anything lacking in this game it was the weirdness, and that's actually the only reason why I don't give this game a perfect score, or anything higher than an 85%.

I think the only weird thing in the game was the baby carriage that you find on Sagen street when you're heading to the Green Lion Antiques. That to me just really weirded me out, because it was so, I don't know, but that object was just weird.

NightFlutter

Prodigal Son?!

Post by NightFlutter on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:17 pm

I actually didn't get the whole thing with the sword being put in that slit in the door to the Nero room at the motel. I thought that door was pretty creepy, as were the sounds coming from the door to female seclusion in the sanitarium, and a few other things.

I guess it did have some weirdness to it, but not nearly as much as the rest of the series.
"I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist."

ERROR

Post by ERROR on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:37 pm

>the sword being put in that slit in the door to the Nero room at the motel.
Emperor Nero committed suicide by driving a knife into himself, saying "Qualis artifex pereo." Travis drives a knife into the Room of Nero.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

PyramidHead316

Post by PyramidHead316 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:49 pm

Lobsel Vith wrote:I think the only weird thing in the game was the baby carriage that you find on Sagen street when you're heading to the Green Lion Antiques.

Oh yeah, that was weird. I only saw that once, so I guess I forgot about it. It reminded me of "Rosemary's Baby" (the title, at least), and more strongly, "It's Alive" (the video had a baby carriage on the cover).

It's funny, because there isn't much difference between the visuals in SH2 and SH0. It's the things that happen that make SH2 weird and SH0 not. SH2 is filled with random sounds and occurrences, SH0 isn't.

Mercury

raging horny pussy slut

Post by Mercury on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:33 pm

I agree. There were some weird moments, but most of them were pretty predictable (like the butcher SFX after reading the memo in the theater).

But there were some good weird moments, like "Bring me my son!" written in blood on the bathroom floor. Or, like stated before, the Male Seclusion and doll puzzle.
ya fuckin rite

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Post by Princess Kenny on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Yeah, when I was playing there was something off about it. I think it was the story for me.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

Travesty

Post by Travesty on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Yeah there is summit a little missing to it tho there are some good bits...like sounds in empty rooms like there are ghost or memories still being played out etc.....Im still playing it....Ive finished the others. I originally played it for a wee while on the PSP that a friend had and didnt get it till just recently on PS2.....I love weird disjointed make it what you will stuff....so yeah
....by the way do any of you plan on playing the Play novel that is being remade for the Sega Megadrive /Genesis?
You see it too? For me, it's always like this.

My site https://tulpaparanormal.wordpress.com/
and also:
Check out my Silent Hill/Lovecraft inspired you tube vids here - thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/user/Sammihi1/videos
and please subscribe!

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:47 am

I'm not really sure what people meant with this thread. What kind of weirdness are people talking about? I'm sure it had some weird stuff, like that puzzle where you put organs into a doll.

Are you guys talking about weird stuff that happens just because it's scary, like that room with no windows in 1 but you hear glass break or that room where mannequin's head falls off in 3?

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:43 pm

My take on this weirdness is what I have described before. Which is the Silent Hill feeling. The feeling of uneasiness and never being comfortable with your surroundings. At least that's what I understood from the beginning of the thread.

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:00 pm

It was my first Silent Hill game so I guess I am partial to it, but the entire game I was just like "Wtf this is so weird and awesome." Eh, Riverside Motel was just soooo creepy, along with the Sanitarium imo.

residentevilo

Silent Hill Fan. Will fight my opinion.

Post by residentevilo on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:03 am

Origins had a good story, but that was just about it. It felt pretty generic and felt like the run of the mill "B+ Horror Game" like Obscure or something of that nature. The gameplay was pretty horrible. Sure, it controlled like the originals, but the PS2 version is what I played and gameplay, combat were horrible and it was missing the lore of the series. You can't just make a game, add Silent Hill themes and slap the series name on it.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:35 am

What's the lore of the series? Seemed to me to have plenty of lore, even explaining Alessa astral projection, totems, and how she killed people. The combat for 2 is downright boring, I'd much prefer origins over 2. Sh2 made you almost invincible.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 am

I also don't understand how it was like Obscure. Weird complaint about combat, it's an improvement over 2, definitely.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Origins' combat was far superior to 2's. It's not even a contest. Origins had actual variety and a crapload of different weapons to find and use, not to mention some of the monsters actually posed a threat.

I also don't get the complaint about there not being any "lore" in the game. Pretty sure there was a good deal of it in there.

Misty Day

Remains of the Judgment

Post by Misty Day on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:58 am

What Origins is missing is a protagonist that can bend at the waist. Ever watch this guy walk? I'm pretty sure there's a steel bar that extends beneath his clothes from his head straight down into his pants. It just struck me funny when I saw it. For weirdness, how about how it LOOKS like the Silent Hill of the first game (only nicer) but familiar locations just up and moved, rearranging themselves on an otherwise heartwarmingly nostalgia inducing in game map. At first, I thought Climax was being sloppy, but now I believe that Silent Hill would totally do that. It makes streets dissolve into foggy bottomless pits and throws up impassable walls across roads. Why not move the post office next door? The weirdness is subtler than opening up a can of light bulbs, but there's some in there.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:04 am

One problem I've always had that I don't see mentioned often has to do with Travis' ground pound move: it's very tricky to get Travis to foot stomp an enemy after getting it to fall down. I'll typically knock it down with one Moon Gaunt Super Punch and then literally spam the action key until he decides to emit a baby kick. It seems to have to do with his positioning near the enemy (on the side), but sometimes even that doesn't work: I'll literally be spamming the kick prompt the entire duration of the enemies's submission, before it finally gets back up anyway.

I also take some issue with the fact that Travis, at the beginning, doesnt go to the Grocery store because he literally doesnt want to. It's not because the door is locked, or the door is jammed or busted, or the door is blocked, or the buiilding is missing, or a monster is in the way...no. He just doesnt want to yet: "i need to check on the girl". It just stinks of laziness to not even bother to have a reason that actually prevents the player from exploration besides "screw you, we arent ready yet you nitwit, go to the hospital."

"Oh geez, I'm sorry Silent Hill Origins. I thought I was playing a game with exploration, not location-jumping along a tirelessly linear path".

This is the case for most of the game. Travis doesn't go to a place not because he cant, but because he doesn't want to yet.

Can you imagine if James Sunderland said "oh boy the park is this way, i can even see it from here, but I probably should check out these apartments first"? Yea, the wall was there for a reason, to forcefully break up the game's locations. If you are going to push your characters on a linear path, at least make it more interesting than "eh, I dont want to now".
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Next

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins