AlchemillaHsospital

The Soundtracks

All topics that don't fit elsewhere, or about the series in general.
rodox_head

The Soundtracks

Post by rodox_head »

Any love for the soundtracks here?

I've been going through them recently as some of them I've hardly listened to in a long time. Normally 2, 3, and 0 get the most plays out of me but I've been realizing how great the ones for 4 and Homecoming are. "Tender Sugar" is still my favorite of the McGlynn songs, but listening to the ones from Homecoming for the first time in years gave me a newfound appreciation for them and how the ritual child sacrifice of Shepherds Glen provides an eerie allegory to real life war. "One More Soul to the Call" is an amazing song that captures this perfectly.

As for 4, I've started listening to the Limited Edition soundtrack and that is a hidden gem in the catalogue for sure. At times it comes off as a stylistic blend of NIN and Depeche Mode, especially noticeable in the track "Mayheim I". Even a hint of Boards of Canada (circa Geogaddi/IABPOITC) seeps into some of the tracks. As much as 2 and 3 are still my favorites, Yamaoka seemed to hit a certain creative peak around the time of 4 with a noticeable change in approach with 0 onward.

:mira:
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Otherworld

Re: The Soundtracks

Post by Otherworld »

There are tracks I forget about from almost all of the games and end up remembering how much I enjoyed them and then play them a ton again lol
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

"Theme of Laura" is amazing. But the games in general have fantastic music and sound effects.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

The SH2 OST may be my favorite, but SH3 is easily my favorite in sound design in general.

SH3 Complete Soundtrack (Ultimate Edition):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zimIFiiAzk
The Witnesses Arrive, Mall Nightmare (Floor 1), Subway Trouble, Office Nightmare, Return To Brookhaven, Disruption of Order, and Fair Game are all fantastic bits of dark ambience. That pulsating beat in Return To Brookhaven stuck with me from when I played it long ago. Also, I don't know if it's taken from somewhere else, but I love the carousel theme and sometimes have it set to loop for a while or catch myself humming it at work.
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

I used to have an app of the Silent Hill soundtracks up to The Arcade.
I use Uneternal Sleep for my ringtone and End of Small Sanctuary for my contacts ringing!
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

Norus_Rebirthed wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:57 am I used to have an app of the Silent Hill soundtracks up to The Arcade.
I use Uneternal Sleep for my ringtone and End of Small Sanctuary for my contacts ringing!
Never had one used for a ringtone, but I've always had the pick up sound as my notification sound.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Origins soundtrack was fantastic
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

Otherworld wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:36 pm Origins soundtrack was fantastic
Still my biggest side effect of Silent Hill is I hear Origins title music over the mandolin (?) of the 1999 game. That's the music my brain makes :medi: whenever I even look at a Silent Hill title.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Norus_Rebirthed wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:49 pm
Still my biggest side effect of Silent Hill is I hear Origins title music over the mandolin (?) of the 1999 game. That's the music my brain makes :medi: whenever I even look at a Silent Hill title.
Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP00DhUvTqM
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

Indeed it is. Although I tend to go through Fungo's CST album more than the OST. Shot Down In Flames and O.R.T. (as well as their reprises in the game) are some of my favorite vocal tracks. Does anyone else think Theme of Sabre Dance was (or at least should have been) intended to be used for the results screen? If I recall correctly, nothing played over it, but I can chalk this up to how rushed the game was. That bass playing in Hole In the Sky is powerful.

I still find it kinda funny to think that Butcher's boss theme is a stripped down version of Scorch's boss theme from Spyro 3.