AlchemillaHsospital

Empty, no more!

Discuss Silent Hill 4 here.
Annin_Tofu

Empty, no more!

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Since nobody has posted anything in here, I shall make a thread about one of the final games from the golden age of survival horror, a year before it resolved into gory action...

So... SH4, my dear. You were the last entry made by Team Silent, before they were gone, but certainly not forgotten. If anything, you gave us the giant Eileen head, which is forever burned into our very own heads. :lol:

And what a game it was, too. Definitely the stuff of nightmares. Your home is supposed to be a safe spot. Not the case here, though. Ghosts coming through the walls, a dead cat in my fridge, and people outside, not able to access my door, while a serial killer is taunting me in the other world. It's a recipe for torture. It truly is! :o
Otherworld

Re: Empty, no more!

Post by Otherworld »

Kojima pulled so much from this game for P. T. its crazy that both games aren't mentioned in the same sentence that often.
I'm going to town either way.
LostInTheFog

Post by LostInTheFog »

Yes and no because P.T. was initially created over an open city narrative, not a closed room with ports to otherworlds etc.. Still like the game, I wish some very creative and commited team could make a remake with the polish the game always desirved.
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I always found SH4 hard, but it was so memorable.

We are in the PS5 era now, yet hardly anybody can make a good scary game anymore. Except for maybe Bethesda. But everything else invariably sucks. They feel like mostly action games, and the "horror" is just bog standard stuff, and I feel like it's only there to mask the fact that it's really not horror, but Hollywood cheesiness.
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

Of all the games, it was The Room I physically dreaded putting into the PS2. Not because it was bad, but more the sheer scale it asked of the player. Silent Hill was hard due to the difficulty of finding certain objects. The Room was hard because even if you found the items, it was still difficult and fiddly.
Might have to start a new new game. My apartment is haunted to fuck! Windows rattling, moved shoes, television static. The things you do just to get enough candles to keep Ellen healthy!
Plus the feeling when you go back into the living room and the ceiling fan has fallen down. And the safety of home just closes in around you.
LostInTheFog

Post by LostInTheFog »

It's a game to play several times and get the several endings available. But despite the awesome plot, the gameplay didn't get the needed polish. If you play well the second time, you already got the better ending, that is kinda B horror movie. The chest with itens take you close to RE, the combat mechanics seems Mario World, and it's not what we want from a SH game. But is still a nice game to play. Would be nice to have a remake of this game - got potential!
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"