AlchemillaHsospital

Possessed Ending + 10-star rank?

Discuss the third game in the series here.
firecrest

Possessed Ending + 10-star rank?

Post by firecrest »

Has anyone managed to get the Possessed Ending and 10-star rank at the same time? I was not able to find a YouTube video of this configuration.

Getting the Possessed Ending by itself is fairly trivial, but the caveat for a 10-star rank is that you need under 500 damage points. You also cannot use the unlimited sub-machine gun or the flamethrower as that will deduct a star.

To get the Possessed Ending, you need at least 4000 hit points. Forgiving the woman in the confession booth gives you 1000 for free, so you need to get the remaining 3000 during your playthrough. If you maintain your damage points as close to 500 as possible, that means you need to defeat more than 250 enemies for over 2500 hit points (250 x 10 = 2500). I think the game does give you more than 250 enemies to defeat on Hard difficulty or above, but barely.

Technically, the Infinite Monster Respawn exploit can be used to fill in the numbers, but I'm trying to see if it can be done without relying on this exploit.

EDIT:

First run. Extreme X w/ bullet adjust x5 (no infinite submachine gun or flamethrower). No infinite monster respawn.

Total hit point: 4341
Overshot total damage by: 562 (1061 minus 499)
Under-achieved defeat count: 23 (251 minus 228)

251 kills and 490 damage points would have given me exactly 4000 hit points.
Each additional kill allows you to deduct 10 damage points and achieve 4000 hit points.

So, I think it's possible to get Possessed Ending and 10-star rank at the same time. I'm going back to see which monsters I need to defeat to fill in the 23. It's mostly rooms with two or more Pendulums and the one room where four Closers spawn in the Church.
Ending type: Possessed
Action Level: Extreme X (5/5 stars)
Riddle Level: Hard (5/5 stars)
Clear time: 2h 51m 56s (10/10 stars)
Split worm kill time: 1m 20s (2/2 stars)
Missionary kill time: 1m 35s (2/2 stars)
Leonard kill time: 1m 42s (2/2 stars)
Memory of Alessa kill time: 1m 44s (2/2 stars)
The god kill time: 5m 06s (2/2 stars)
Clear number: 32 (5/5 stars)
Save & continue number: 28 (1/5 stars)
Item number: 135 (20/20 stars)
Extra weapon number: 5 (5/5 stars)
Defeated enemy by shooting: 155 (15/15 stars)
Defeated enemy by fighting: 73 (14/15 stars)
Total damage: 1061 (3/5 stars)

firecrest

Re: Possessed Ending + 10-star rank?

Post by firecrest »

By my count, the game spawns 274 enemies during the course of an Extreme X session, including the 5 boss battles. This number excludes the "Infinite Enemy Respawn" exploit. Up to four more Numb Bodies can spawn in the second floor boutique after you obtain the Moonstone. There's also one Pendulum in the Amusement Park that can "disappear" out of bounds. So the total number of enemies you can defeat in a session can range from 273 to 278.

Certain enemies can be lost forever if you pick up an event item before defeating them. For example, the area outside of the boutique where you obtain the Hanger spawns 2 Double Heads when you first enter it. If you pass the Double Heads and pick up the Hanger, they will have despawned and you will have lost two potential kills. The Moonstone is another event item that has this property. To get the maximum amount of enemies to kill, be sure to defeat them before picking up the item.

Defeating 251 is the bare minimum, but here you need to be precise if you want a 10-star rank: 490 to 499 damage points. This gives you a wiggling space of only 9 damage points. If you want some flexibility in managing your damage points, I recommend defeating 260 or more. Defeating 260 will give you wiggling space of 99 damage points. Defeating 265 enemies, a wiggling space of 149 damage points and so on.

I intentionally passed the following enemies which I felt were too risky or took too long.
  • Alternate Mall: 1 Pendulum (on the way from Cafe to Bakery); 2 Pendulums (outside Sports shop); 2 Pendulums and 1 Double Head (on the way back to the Cafe)
  • Lakeside Amusement Park: 2 Pendulums (on the way to Mountain Coaster); 2 Pendulums (on the way to Swing Rocket after you obtain the Red Shoe)
  • Church: 4 Closers (on the way back after obtaining "Fool" card); 2 Pendulums (in the L-shaped hallway)
South Vale is an area where up to 30 enemies in total can spawn during the course of the game. The enemies are a bit hard to see with the dense fog and easy to miss. The area has three "stages." Ideally, each stage should be cleaned out before moving onto the next. I missed around half in my first playthrough.
  • Jack's Inn to Brookhaven: 15 enemies
  • Brookhaven back to Jack's Inn after defeating Leonard: 8 enemies
  • Jack's Inn to Nathan Avenue after meeting Vincent: 7 enemies
You might consider skipping going down Carroll's street in the third stage (Jack's Inn to Nathan Avenue) as doing so will eat into your total time. You'd need to make up for the 3 to 4 lost kills at Lakeside Amusement Park and the Church later.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

I just wanted to give an update on my road to Possessed/10-star rank.

I was able to get 9.9 stars. I downgraded the Action Level from my usual Extreme X to Hard. As mentioned in the previous post, no Infinite Monster Respawn glitches were exploited for this run.

Total damage is where I need improvement by around 300 damage points. Might play a couple of more times to see I can achieve Possessed and 10-star rank.
Action Level: Hard (5/5 stars)
Clear time: 2h 45m 35s (10/10 stars)
Split worm kill time: 1m 42s (2/2 stars)
Missionary kill time: 1m 33s (2/2 stars)
Leonard kill time: 48s (2/2 stars)
Memory of Alessa kill time: 2m 22s (2/2 stars)
The god kill time: 4m 58s (2/2 stars)
Clear number: 41 (5/5 stars)
Save & continue number: 2 (5/5 stars)
Item number: 127 (20/20 stars)
Defeated enemy by shooting: 140 (15/15 stars)
Defeated enemy by fighting: 113 (15/15 stars)
Total damage: 787 (4/5 stars)

EDIT:

10 stars, finally. Barely scraped by.

Points tallied (need 4000 or more to obtain Possessed ending):

+2520 points (252 enemies defeated x 10)
+496 points (total damage, need below 500 to get 5/5 stars)
+1000 points (forgive confession lady)

Total: 4016 points
Action Level: Hard (5/5 stars)
Clear time: 2h 47m 41s (10/10 stars)
Split worm kill time: 1m 30s (2/2 stars)
Missionary kill time: 1m 45s (2/2 stars)
Leonard kill time: 54s (2/2 stars)
Memory of Alessa kill time: 2m 27s (2/2 stars)
The god kill time: 5m 09s (2/2 stars)
Clear number: 47 (5/5 stars)
Save & continue number: 2 (5/5 stars)
Item number: 130 (20/20 stars)
Defeated enemy by shooting: 135 (15/15 stars)
Defeated enemy by fighting: 117 (15/15 stars)
Total damage: 496 (5/5 stars)

Last edited by firecrest on Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

It's actually the possessed ending I was trying to get on my last play. And I made it to the apartment boss... With no ammo as I used it all up killing everything in the Supermarket and Subway!
And think it's New Game+ difficulty. Might be able to change the settings next time.
Thanks for thread, this method seems easier.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

Norus_Rebirthed wrote: It's actually the possessed ending I was trying to get on my last play. And I made it to the apartment boss... With no ammo as I used it all up killing everything in the Supermarket and Subway!
And think it's New Game+ difficulty. Might be able to change the settings next time.
Thanks for thread, this method seems easier.
It's best to evade the Pendulums at the Mall. Heather doesn't have the weapons at this point, especially the shotgun, that would take down the Pendulums from their hovering state quickly enough. It's technically possible through OOB glitch to bring the shotgun to the Mall, but doing so would eat into your Clear time.

The Missionary boss can be defeated with melee like the Katana or Maul, but I don't remember if it can be done in under 2 minutes for meeting the 10-star rank criteria. I would check if you're on Bullet Adjust x1 and change it to x5 if you're running out of ammo.