AlchemillaHsospital

The Elevator Quiz Segment

Discuss the second game here.
Naroon

The Elevator Quiz Segment

Post by Naroon »

(take two, original topic presumably got auto-deleted for "contains illegal links" although I'm sure I linked to a youtube video of this segment)

So in this elevator segment, the narrator mumbles something after several of the statements he makes, but it's not reflected in the subtitles. I was wondering if what he's saying in those cases has ever been deciphered, or if it's really just mumbled gibberish meant for added atmosphere, like the whispers in the apartment segment.
Ernest Baldwin: "The Gods are here. You know it too. You were born in this town."
LostInTheFog

Re: The Elevator Quiz Segment

Post by LostInTheFog »

Yes, and there is also the static - is there something about? After all these years and the findings, I don't doubt of anything!

Also reminds me another game that you have a recorder to find sounds hidden in the static. It's a girl investigating ghosts... cant remember the name, a nice game!
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
Norus_Rebirthed

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

LostInTheFog wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:22 am Yes, and there is also the static - is there something about? After all these years and the findings, I don't doubt of anything!

Also reminds me another game that you have a recorder to find sounds hidden in the static. It's a girl investigating ghosts... cant remember the name, a nice game!
Never played it, but wasn't that Fatal Frame? Don't hold me to it! Also no idea of a full transcription of the elevator scene.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, I don't recall him saying anything not subtitled.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Naroon

Post by Naroon »

rodox_head wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:56 am I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, I don't recall him saying anything not subtitled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlbsdUcHqzQ

Go to about 1:50 and after the next two statements or so, if you listen closely you can hear the narrator mumble something very faintly. Unfortunately the uploader decided to fire his gun for no good reason right after the narrator says "and finally..." because of course he does, but I recalled hearing something afterwards in my playthrough. The next line he definitely mumbles something that's not reflected in the subtitles. This was the best quality video I could find of this segment on YT that wasn't a Let's Play with commentary over it.
Ernest Baldwin: "The Gods are here. You know it too. You were born in this town."
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

I actually remember finding that part odd for it's awkward silence, but I don't remember anything after the "and finally...". I did notice some muttering just before the last question, but it just sounded like "next question".
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

If it's any consolidation, the Japanese subtitle says something like "and finally, flowing tears." For some reason, this is missing in the English subtitles, possibly for dramatic effect?

It would have been pretty cool if he muttered, "and finally, their hearts were missing!"
LostInTheFog

Post by LostInTheFog »

Norus_Rebirthed wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:10 am
LostInTheFog wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:22 am Yes, and there is also the static - is there something about? After all these years and the findings, I don't doubt of anything!

Never played it, but wasn't that Fatal Frame? Don't hold me to it! Also no idea of a full transcription of the elevator scene.
The game is Sylvio. You have to found voices in the static.
https://youtu.be/9VrIepf08xk
But I can't play it anymore because Apple does not support 32 bit apps anymore. I asked the community for what reason and they keep mumbling...

Anyway...

I have downloaded the audio and applied a noise filter in Adobe Audition and I can hear something after "...with an axe.". Seems he is mumbling something really but I can understand what! You might try to understand if you have english ears:
https://soundcloud.com/gustavo-pinent/s ... al_sharing
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
Naroon

Post by Naroon »

I think what I thought I heard was actually just some of the weird sound effects in the mix (the music and ambiance from the crowd noise and such) was just anomalies from all the reverb they have on the original recording. What he said after "axe" was just "Torn flesh" which is reflected in the subtitles. Thanks for the filtered mix though! The version I played in my recent playthrough was the PS2 version via an emulator, so it's possible the audio got a bit extra distorted there and made me think I heard something extra.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Below is what is listed in the script.
Okay, quickly on to question number two. Silent Hill witnessed a
gruesome murder a few years back. A brother and sister were
playing in the road when they were attacked and chopped into
pieces with an axe. Torn flesh, smashed bones, splattered blood,
and finally... What a terrible tragedy. What a gruesome end to
such innocent lives.
What was the name of the murderer who committed this vile act'

One, Walter Sullivan
Two, Scott Fairbanks
Three, Eric Gein
Someone would need the right equipment to be able to decipher what was said...
I'm going to town either way.