AlchemillaHsospital

Mary's Photo

Discuss the second game here.
S.L.D.T.

Mary's Photo

Post by S.L.D.T. »

I just had an interesting realization about this item. It is well known amongst those who have played this game several times that Mary's Letter and Mary's Photo slowly disappear from James' inventory towards the end of the game, suggesting that both may have been figments of James' imagination. Interestingly, though, and in spite of this implied detail, James shows Mary's Photo to Angela when the two of them meet in the Woodside Apartments. I am now sure if this would necessarily be a continuity error, depending on your interpretation of the photo's true nature, but an interesting small detail that I noticed nonetheless!
firecrest

Re: Mary's Photo

Post by firecrest »

Only Mary's letter has the effect of disappearing. The photo of Mary does not disappear to my knowledge.

Though, I don't remember if the game allows you to keep one or the other when getting on the Employee Elevator after putting your inventory in the shelf.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

firecrest wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:37 am Only Mary's letter has the effect of disappearing. The photo of Mary does not disappear to my knowledge.

Though, I don't remember if the game allows you to keep one or the other when getting on the Employee Elevator after putting your inventory in the shelf.
This is what I remember too, and you have to put everything away when you get in the elevator. I remember specifically being surprised when I had to do that.

The thought of the photo not existing to others makes the Angela scene a lot funnier though :lol:
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Xuchilbara

Post by Xuchilbara »

The letter only disappears when you get to the hotel, but the photo never does.
"Speak.
I am the Crimson One.
The lies and the mist are
not they, but I.
You all know that I am One.
Yes, and the One is I."
- Me, probably
Naroon

Post by Naroon »

firecrest wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:37 am Only Mary's letter has the effect of disappearing. The photo of Mary does not disappear to my knowledge.

I played it recently a couple months ago and I think you're allowed to keep the letter in your inventory, and maybe the photo, but I don't remember 100%. I know you can keep at least one of them with you.
Ernest Baldwin: "The Gods are here. You know it too. You were born in this town."
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

The photo never leaves your inventory. The letter is gone after the prison I believe.
I'm going to town either way.