AlchemillaHsospital

Ascension: First impressions

Annin_Tofu

Re: Ascension: First impressions

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I don't think there's any series besides Silent Hill where something gets announced, and there's a tediously long wait for any updates in a really LONG time. That this convoluted online series is the first thing we got isn't a good sign, giving the backlash. It took Konami long enough to start working on games properly again, but this lengthy period of not having any genuine updates since October of last year is making us feel bored.

I haven't heard about any cancellation of the previously confirmed projects. One guess I have is that Konami knew people were turning against them, so they finally broke their silence to say something big is coming. But of course, it ain't coming any day soon. LOL.

All I can go on is Bloober Team saying the remake of 2 is technically ready to be released. Maybe they're waiting on Alone in the Dark coming out in January to see how well that does. However, I wouldn't have thought that game would pose much competition though, as that series has always been tilting towards being niche, with some pretty bad entries that hindered its legacy.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

The last update we got for SH2RE was the Bloober was still working on it.

As far as Ascension goes it quite clear that this was a good old Konami cash grab. I am look at the Metal Gear collection for comparison. Almost zero dollars was put into that......
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Yeah, I know. But these companies like to pretend we're hungry dogs. :?

I may give Capcom heat for how they've messed up RE a lot, but at least they update the fans semi-regularly on the latest projects.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Annin_Tofu wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:42 am Yeah, I know. But these companies like to pretend we're hungry dogs. :?

I may give Capcom heat for how they've messed up RE a lot, but at least they update the fans semi-regularly on the latest projects.
Capcom has blown almost everything they have done with RE out of the water compared to Konami and Silent Hill. It's night and day.

At this point, I wish Konami would sell this IP to Capcom.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I appreciate their continued success, but some aspects to RE like the plot has dipped in quality for years now. Like, you know? I noticed that instead of a single narrative, they continue to make convoluted loose connections between things, with the end result being that we see no resolvement. But besides that, a part of me wants to keep supporting the franchise anyway. I would rather see it live on, even if it is a mess.
floatstinger

Post by floatstinger »

I don't want to come across as one of the perpetually negative Silent Hill fans, but yeesh. I was always wary of the way they announced all these new projects. It reminded me a lot of 2012's "Year of Silent Hill" and so far I haven't seen much to dissuade that.

Bloober was the last team I wanted to get the SH 2 remake with the way they handled mental issues in the past.

I will remain cautiously optimistic, but I dunno.......at this rate I wish they just sold the IP to Capcom.

Silent Hill got popular again via memes and younger people discovering it. This was the time to finally get it right......and they've screwed up again. At least that's how it feels so far with the lack of information, and dumping these projects into no name teams yet again. It almost feels like self sabotage. They're leaving so much money on the table, and it's so, soooo frustrating.

I love Silent Hill and always will. The games and community were a big part of my childhood/teenage years and helped me through some dark times, as cliche as it is. It's just depressing that they still can't get it right after all these years.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the focus is on monetization and not story/gameplay, they're gonna keep getting it wrong.

SH wasn't a massively multiplayer thinger with microtransactions and QTEs, it was a one-player slow moving horror game. It might just be too different from online community superhero games for GenVid to deal with.

Until they figure out basic things like that, original fans aren't going to like the "upgrades" like this imo.

I can't even manage to pay attention to the storyline.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

admin wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:16 pm If the focus is on monetization and not story/gameplay, they're gonna keep getting it wrong.

SH wasn't a massively multiplayer thinger with microtransactions and QTEs, it was a one-player slow moving horror game. It might just be too different from online community superhero games for GenVid to deal with.

Until they figure out basic things like that, original fans aren't going to like the "upgrades" like this imo.

I can't even manage to pay attention to the storyline.
I keep watching to see how bad it will end ....
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Companies have always believed their fans have that "monkey see, monkey do" mindset. They know people are gonna feel excited because there hasn't been anything new related to the series in years. But this is drab.

I think you'll take back now all the shit you said about the games that weren't so good, because they look spectacular in comparison to this nonsense. :|
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@Annin:

Yeah I think there is even revisionist history going on already, I mean, when SH4 came out lots were like "this doesnt even have a flashlight, this is shyte!" and now everyone's like "first 4 games were fire!"

same with movie #1 (2006), people saw revelation 3d and thought, "shit, that first one wasn't so bad after all! now I see how bad a SH film can be!"

:lol: