AlchemillaHsospital

Resident Evil 4 (Remake) *Official Topic*

Discussions on all other popular horror video game franchises.
Annin_Tofu

Re: Resident Evil 4 (Remake) *Official Topic*

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I found that in spite of the changes, it was otherwise a rollercoaster of a game. It was also not altered a great deal in terms of what occurs as much as the remakes of 2 and 3 were. Those games feel vastly different, and in some ways, drastically watered down versions of their original counterparts.

I think 4 is a game that they refused to spoil because of how popular the original is. But I wish 2 and 3 had gotten better treatment.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have heard a lot of good things, yes. I need a new PC and I'm saving for that, so not buying anything right now but I may check it out in the future, in the meantime, I'm okay with listening to/watching others play it.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

I've watched roughly halfway through a full playthrough of it and I have to say they did a really dedicated and faithful job. I may not play it, but speaking as someone who's played that game many a time and knew each room practically inside-out, I'm not disappointing in the slightest.

One minor nitpick is that I feel they leaned into quippy Leon mode way too quickly. In the original he kinda acts with confusion as to wtf is going on during the village sequence, but now he's making one liners right after the first ganado. Yeah, yeah. I know the bingo line, but there's still some build up there.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I still say this game's original version was kind of responsible for the inevitable death of survival horror. But as a game separate from the other RE titles, it's GOAT material.

I mean, enemies basically gift you ammo. Half of them are either non human, or not carrying any guns. :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Annin_Tofu wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:15 pm I still say this game's original version was kind of responsible for the inevitable death of survival horror. But as a game separate from the other RE titles, it's GOAT material.

I mean, enemies basically gift you ammo. Half of them are either non human, or not carrying any guns. :lol:
well yes but that's also why it's considered to "mix genres," i suppose; and also why it appealed to different/more people.

I'm kind of an early RE person, like I play 1,2, and 3 sometimes and haven't done much but watch other people play the rest.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Same here.

Real survival horror to me was either 1992 to 2005, or 1996 to 2007.

But around 2013, it got amazing again.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

I just finished the area with thee Regenerators and it was a ton of fun.

This is a darker version of RE4 so it has more "horror" than it did before.
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Well done. You have the formula for success. :potion:

:thumbsup:
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

This remake has a clock puzzle. When you first look at the clock face have a look at the time. :coffee:
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I still think the original remake is the best for the atmosphere. But if we are talking about action, I can see why people love RE4.

I prefer the 2005 version, but this remake wasn't too offensive. I mean, there's certainly not as much cut content as 2 and 3. But even saying that, I don't know. There was still a lot of changes. Nothing that affects the game itself.

But movie remakes don't always get scene-for-scene remakes anyway. There's only a seldom few that do. So questioning that type of decision in 2023 feels kind of picky.