AlchemillaHsospital

Internet forums are dead now...

Current events, politics, etc. The views expressed here are those of the individual posters, and do not necessarily represent those of SHC or the community as a whole.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Internet forums are dead now...

Post by admin »

thesaunderschild wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:25 am I noticed that message boards all across the Internet are practically dead now. The only really active ones are GameFAQs, but I closed two accounts on there, due to lippy users.

There's really nowhere else any more, to talk about gaming. At least not by doing it on forums that are regularly visited by others. There's also hardly any fan sites left. In fact, I think they're mostly gone now too. Geocities and Webs had some good wee sites a long time ago. But that must have been in 2006.

I just don't like Facebook, Discord, and Twitter. They're forcing you to add your mobile number on these sites too, as you cannot hardly do anything if you are not verified. But I don't like to do that.

Besides that, they keep altering things and ruining some of the good features. I honestly preferred Facebook about 3 years ago. It just doesn't look right nowadays.
The reason is because social media has monopolized the internet because it's profitable for them to sell targeted ads.

What I like about forums is
-no popup notifications with sound all day and night
-talk about ONE THING more or less per forum (which means Silent hill here, without it being watered down with people's baby photos, pet photos, lunch photos, advertisements, more advertisements, etc., making it a calm and subject-specific place
-you can actually read the replies to a thread, in order, without any being hidden
-things indexed chronologically
-your mom, grandma, and sixth grade science teacher* probably aren't here
-not an endless feed. this is a good thing, because it doesn't eat up unlimited time.

but again, google and amazon and facebook own most of the internet now so it's all sanitized and homogenous.

*no offense to Mr. Smith if he is indeed here
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Bah humbug. :medi:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

on a related note, sometimes i sit down and watch an actual DVD or blu ray,and after spending so much time watching youtube, i forget about how sanitized Youtube is too! like how you can show all kinds of drugs and sex and swearing in films, lol! and it s refreshing to see!
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I've always preferred forums to Facebook, Twitter, and whatnot. It is sad that forums are pretty much dead today, but this is the case with everything online. Some things get improved. Some things don't need to be altered, but then they do it anyway so not to be accused of staying stale. Or whatever.

Anyway, I'd say the only reason I don't like some forums is that depending on what the forum covers, a lot of them are full of idiots who deliberately like to provoke strangers from behind their screens, and those in charge may not be very caring. I've also been personally stalked a lot online over the past 5 years; I have been targeted by a troll, who even signs up as my user ID thesaunderschild on some message boards to try and take the piss. Like he did on Umbrella Online late last year. Although I just want to ignore his ass now. They do what they do for attention.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

that's a problem with the internet and anonymity in general though, psychos gonna be psychos. and they'll use whatever is available to them.

i've uninstalled things like twitter and FB from my phone because i fucking hate hearing/seeing notifications all the time. i will go to the site on my PC if i want to check things, jfc, leave me alone, you know. this is why people don't get shit done these days, it's hard to concentrate with all the unending feeds and notifications.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

It's active on NeoGAF. I think pretty much every other forum besides GameFAQs barely has any activity. :sick:

It's sad. I couldn't care less about Twitter, and all that type of social media pish. Shite must be composed in 30 characters or less. :|
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

thesaunderschild wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:13 am It's active on NeoGAF. I think pretty much every other forum besides GameFAQs barely has any activity. :sick:

It's sad. I couldn't care less about Twitter, and all that type of social media pish. Shite must be composed in 30 characters or less. :|
yeah and as i said, whole books have been written on how that dumbs down discourse in general. sometimes a thought is too complex to put into 20 characters or whatever. sick of it all, but i use them to shitpost, look at memes, and post when i have new things for sale. it's at least been useful for me to get to know more people in the local art scene and do more sales and marketing stuff, but that's more the usefulness of the people involved and not the social media... that's just what everyone uses. if the internet weren't infected with this shite (facebook, twitter, reddit) people would still find each other to talk about art or movies or video games.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I don't use Twitter, as I know I would be bothered by this Australian guy who was pestering me on forums. He is quite unrelenting.

It was active for Silent Hill discussions on NeoGAF for a while after the showcase, but now it's like a boneyard again. But it's not like Konami has giving us much to talk about. So once news picks up, there will likely be another resurgence of posts.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

yeah, what you said. i just noticed i last made a "sh updates" video 3-4 months ago, that's because we haven't had much to think about since then. i know whitney was talking about making more podcasts also but again, we dont have anything NEW to talk about since she last did that lol.

i see people complaining about how they miss Myspace elsewhere, but SpaceHey exists and is the same thing and they refuse to move over there, probably because it doesn't provide them the dopamine hit that all the constant notifications of Fb and Twitter does, and doesn't have the whole "unending newsfeed" to waste all your time.

It's like this place, you check it, see if there is something to reply to, and fucking leave and get on with your life haha
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Nearly a year on, my opinion remains the same.

I posted a bunch of threads yesterday on various forums. Nobody has responded yet on them.