AlchemillaHsospital

An actual remake

Discuss Silent Hill the first game here.
rodox_head

Re: An actual remake

Post by rodox_head »

I didn't know if this warranted its own thread, or should be in another subforum, so I'll just post it here.

A question I didn't think of until just recently. If a remake of SH1 is conceptualized, where does that leave 3 and 0? One's last appearance was in that awful movie that even an avid SH apologist such as myself can't defend, and the other just gets lumped in as one of those "bad western games".

Another thing to take into account is that these games will be for an entirely different generation of players, a good percentage likely only knowing the games more through mere pop culture osmosis rather than from personally playing it and already having that attachment, and already knowing the story beats from all the games.

I'm rambling a little bit now, so I'll cut to my main question: Would a SH1 remake be better looked at as "The Alessa Trilogy" where we are presented with the stories of 0, 1, and 3 in order?

One pro I see in this would be that the Travis story would get a proper retelling since 0rigins was already a half-baked game with potential that a small minority of fans have started to warm up to. This would give the developers room to restructure the story and avoid any inconsistencies that have been brought up over the years. As mentioned, it was already half-baked, so I doubt anyone (including me: #1 0rigins fangirl for ten consecutive years) would object to the game being fixed.

I think there's room to have the three games cohesively stitched together with the themes of protection and independence/agency running through each, but I'd really like to hear anyone else's thoughts on this idea. :geek:
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

rodox_head wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:43 am I didn't know if this warranted its own thread, or should be in another subforum, so I'll just post it here.

A question I didn't think of until just recently. If a remake of SH1 is conceptualized, where does that leave 3 and 0? One's last appearance was in that awful movie that even an avid SH apologist such as myself can't defend, and the other just gets lumped in as one of those "bad western games".

Another thing to take into account is that these games will be for an entirely different generation of players, a good percentage likely only knowing the games more through mere pop culture osmosis rather than from personally playing it and already having that attachment, and already knowing the story beats from all the games.

I'm rambling a little bit now, so I'll cut to my main question: Would a SH1 remake be better looked at as "The Alessa Trilogy" where we are presented with the stories of 0, 1, and 3 in order?

One pro I see in this would be that the Travis story would get a proper retelling since 0rigins was already a half-baked game with potential that a small minority of fans have started to warm up to. This would give the developers room to restructure the story and avoid any inconsistencies that have been brought up over the years. As mentioned, it was already half-baked, so I doubt anyone (including me: #1 0rigins fangirl for ten consecutive years) would object to the game being fixed.

I think there's room to have the three games cohesively stitched together with the themes of protection and independence/agency running through each, but I'd really like to hear anyone else's thoughts on this idea. :geek:
My answer here would be yes...... but......

That is if Konami was Capcom.

Like the RE Remakes or not (I love them) Capcom has shown how to handle remakes.
RE4 Remake is the fastest selling RE game.

The number one thing needed..... $$$. (Konami ..... :coffee:)

But to remake this series correctly, You start with Origins, then SH1 and SH3.
I'm going to town either way.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

rodox_head wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:43 am I didn't know if this warranted its own thread, or should be in another subforum, so I'll just post it here.

My answer here would be yes...... but......

That is if Konami was Capcom.

Like the RE Remakes or not (I love them) Capcom has shown how to handle remakes.
RE4 Remake is the fastest selling RE game.

The number one thing needed..... $$$. (Konami ..... :coffee:)

But to remake this series correctly, You start with Origins, then SH1 and SH3.
(and fix the canon while you're at it :health:)
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Remakes are all the rage these days. :P

My favourite remake is of course the RE remake from 2002.