Introduce yourself to others and become acquainted in our Silent Hill Community.

what

From behind the veil

Help me collect the best Silent Hill threads!

Post by what on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:47 pm

I want to collect the greatest, most interesting and most compelling threads we've made on this forum, to act as a kind of directory for people who are looking to reference information or just who are interested in seeing the best that our minds have come up with.

I want to separate these into three categories: one for threads that revolve around specific theories, one for discussions that may have started out as simple questions but grew into deep and thorough explorations of the plot, characters or symbolism, and one for threads that highlight interesting or little-known aspects about a game (or several), such as hidden imagery, music samples, camhacks, etc.

And I need your help. If there's a thread you think should appear on this list, nominate it here. You can do as many as you like, as often as you like. To be eligible for this list, the thread must have either 50 posts or be at least 30 days old, whichever comes first. You can nominate your own threads if you want. As long as it fits the criteria I listed above, I'll add it to the list.

The poll is over, and it will be formatted according to Option 2:

Silent Hill
  • Theories
    • Theory A
    • Theory B
Thanks, everybody. You're great!

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown on Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:18 pm

I thought the The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience was really good. The discussion is pretty much just TP hating, but the original post was really well researched.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:38 am

Who are the Silent Hill monsters, truly? by DreamDaze000 spawned off some pretty good philosophical conversation, even if the premise of the original poster was flawed and erroneous.

The Term 'Nowhere' by MissTolucaLake. More in-depth philosophical meanderings and some very insightful musings in here.

Regarding Reality in Silent Hill by Ash. Even more philosophical rumination of the nature of the town.

Bullsh*t Silent Hill Theories by Purramid_Head. Title says it all, really.

Lemme know if these fit the criteria. I'll try to hunt down some more later.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Silent Hill and Jacob's Ladder
Silent Hill: Double Under Dusk
Silent Hill Play Novel
SH1 references
Takayoshi Sato
Masahiro Ito
White Hunter
Jodorowsky Influence
SH2 Ilegible Memos
Hidden rooms in SH1
SH1 I think i found another movie reference (Stephen King references)
SH1 Demo

I'm going back through my threads to replace broken images from when I lost my database, but right now trying to locate references threads. I've mainly only gone through the general sh forum. Also been doing some heavy modding and moving shit around. But I thought some things could be references threads and information threads. ETA: I'm going to be moving threads that are in the wrong subforums first.There are a lot of them.
ImageImage

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Meltdown wrote:I thought the The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience was really good. The discussion is pretty much just TP hating, but the original post was really well researched.

Except I did that years ago and posted all the links to my reviews. The thread is late to criticising TP.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:18 am

Can we add some threads for the movie as well? Jkristine made some good ones.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:33 am

If it's Silent Hill-related, there will be a place for it. It can be the movie, arcade game, novelization, anything that's official.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:26 pm

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:
Meltdown wrote:I thought the The Really Super Real Silent Hill Experience was really good. The discussion is pretty much just TP hating, but the original post was really well researched.

Except I did that years ago and posted all the links to my reviews. The thread is late to criticising TP.

There's no reason why we can't have both. I wasn't going to exclude multiple threads addressing the same subject, anyway.

Thanks for the contributions, guys, and keep them coming. I'll start formatting the list tonight or tomorrow, as time permits.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Blu-Ray commentary and Silent Hill Movie FAQ by JKristine35.

I'll try to find more later.

Parvatii

The Red God

Trauma

Resident Dickbutt

Post by Trauma on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:

Except yours were incredibly hard to follow. The tumblr posts were a formatting nightmare filled with nearly as much snark and venom as the videos you're addressing. I'm just picking up the slack.

Also most of the theories and misconceptions I'm addressing predate TRSHE anyways.

Also like Ryan says, there's no reason there can't be both.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Trauma wrote:
Purramid_Head wrote:

Except yours were incredibly hard to follow. The tumblr posts were a formatting nightmare filled with nearly as much snark and venom as the videos you're addressing. I'm just picking up the slack.

That's Tumblr's issue. Snark and venom? Ha, sure. Point is that nobody really cares about TP much now days.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:12 pm

^Yeah, that was my point also somewhere. Issues relating to the games will always be relevant, but it just seemed like TP wasn't even relevant then, since there was so much misinformation and opinions masquerading as facts in their videos.
ImageImage

Gauss

Post by Gauss on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:30 pm

Trauma:

REVEAL SPOILER
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

Trauma

Resident Dickbutt

Post by Trauma on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:03 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:
Trauma wrote:
Purramid_Head wrote:

That's Tumblr's issue.

It's an issue of your ideas having all the organization of a shopping list. Tumblr I would say is actually much more flexible than any BBCode formatting.

Snark and venom? Ha, sure.

Well god damnit if people aren't going to know you're a level 50 Occult Master, the fucking WORLD might just fall apart. You take entire paragraphs to explain what could be said in 5 sentences- which could be extricated by taking all the "LOL THAT'S HILARIOUS", "nuh UHHHH", "well I have a passing familiarity with Leah Hirsig so pfffbbtttt".

Point is that nobody really cares about TP much now days.

You seem to. Quite a lot actually.

Ever since I made that thread you made a point of saying "well I did that first :cry:" and posting all over the place.

You also forget (early onset Alzheimer's maybe?) that 1) the thread isn't even exclusively about TP-nor will their material take up a majority of my posts, 2) is meant to act as a catch-all thread for said misinformation without having to direct someone to a thread with 30 pages of bickering and fighting with no clear answer, 3) to act as a portal for any other people in the community who have come up with well written critiques and lastly/most importantly 4) I did it when I was bored on an afternoon off work, and had a lot of fun with it so I figured I'd do more. I don't really have a dog in this race.

There's room for both of us cupcakes. Don't worry.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:50 pm

if I cared about TP that much I wouldn't have brought them up at all until you brought it up in a recent thread and these posts. If it weren't for the fact that people new to the board and yourself keep bringing up discussings that have been beating to death than I wouldn't repeat myself! As for your assertions my boiler theory video was posted years ago, wasn't aimed at TP, and was the result of a discussion on this board at the time.

Your other little mocking behavior hasn't gone unnoticed but it really doesn't serve a purpose nor does it help your argument.

nur_ein_tier wrote:^Yeah, that was my point also somewhere. Issues relating to the games will always be relevant, but it just seemed like TP wasn't even relevant then, since there was so much misinformation and opinions masquerading as facts in their videos.

Yeah, no publicity is better than some. Konami shouldn't have even bothered.

Trauma

Resident Dickbutt

Post by Trauma on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:02 pm

if I cared about TP that much I wouldn't have brought them up at all until you brought it up in a recent thread and these posts.

I didn't actually.
In fact- you assumed I did by proxy.

You'll have to forgive me for assuming that time is something incredibly precious to my readers though. Especially if your particularly stunning analysis just amounts to anecdotal language sludge about your freemason boyfriend (which I assure you- the majority of your readers couldn't care less about) without having actually cited anything useful or relevant to any kind of discourse.

Point being, you're a horrible writer and waste too much of your readerships time with personal stabs and inconsequential nonsense. Just like the subjects of your ire. So you can flatter yourself if you want by pretending you stopped caring a long time ago all the while desperately scraping together this new blog of yours (and posting it all over the place) as some thinly veiled point prover.

Or alternatively....

You can relax and take solace in the fact that there's still discourse to be had. And that there are still people in the fanbase trying to make themselves an asset by compiling the best analysis out there and giving their own take on the side- I'm not speaking strictly of myself either.

Which one will it be...

If you aren't just riding my coat tails and truly don't care- there's no reason for it to bother you and the choice should be clear...

*My next post will be up sometime this weekend since I've got some time off work finally.

Just an FYI- I'm not saying you have nothing to contribute. The contrary actually- you just contribute it very awkwardly.

Gauss

Post by Gauss on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:12 pm

No one is trying to stop you from posting. In fact, What even said that there's space for more than one thread.

It's clear that Purramid_Head thinks there is discourse to be had (she posted recently and would probably not do so if she thought the discussion was dead).

You claim that Purramid_Head is a bad writer. That's fine, but the way you go about doing it is less constructive and more coated in sarcasm than anything else. The tone of your posts can negatively impact your readers' impressions of you and your work (and your criticisms).

TL;DR: You have the right to keep on writing about the topic you want to write about. No one will stop you. Please stop being mean - it negatively impacts the community, whether you realize it or not.
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

Trauma

Resident Dickbutt

Post by Trauma on Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Unless I misunderstood PH's "except I did that years ago" post- I took it as her saying there's no room for improving on convention. If that's not the case then it seems an apology is owed on my part.

But the context of her post came off very confrontational- like I'd stepped onto her territory without asking for permission and she was shaking her fist at me- which didn't help after she scrambled around putting up a new blog and pasting it all over the place within a week of the topic going up.

And yes, the tone I used was less than stellar- but I have cheap shots for people that come across as confrontational and territorial- most people do. Again- Purr, if that wasn't your intent I owe you an apology.

I'd also made a point that there was room for both of us- and I'd actually planned on consulting her on the more esoteric occult stuff later on despite the flaws in her works but I've since reconsidered.

I'm not at all upset if it's construed that way. I just have a tendency to come off 70% more annoyed over text than I am in real life.

Next

Return to Welcome to Silent Hill