Introduce yourself to others and become acquainted in our Silent Hill Community.
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:57 pm

So, some of you might know me, but a few of you might not. For those who don't, I go by the screen-name St. Aatos, and I'm a Silent Hill fan (not as big of one as I used to be, but I digress.) I've been keeping up with SH:SM, and will either wind up buying the Wii for this game (hey, I bought the PSP for SH0 and the XBox360 for SH:H) or waiting until Feb to buy it for the PS2.

So, a bit to know about me. I like all of the SH games (except the mobile phone games, and the arcade game which I've never played.) Some more than others, but my least favorite of the series is SH2, and my favorite is SH1. I tend to notice some minor details, and I've been known to post some theories...some decent, some outlandish.

I haven't made any theories about SH:SM yet.

Other detail wise, I like video games, I listen to nearly every genre of metal. I poke fun of cheesy movies and shows; and I'm currently working on a graphic novel.

So, it's good to meet everyone.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silent Wanderer

Member

User avatar

Children of the Korn

Posts: 473

Joined: Nov 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by Silent Wanderer on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Nice to meet you, St. Aatos. Welcome. ;) You bought two consoles just for the SH games? Hmm... Nice. :D I'm definitely not buying a Wii just for SH:SM... I'll wait for the PS2 version despite the fact that I'll be left behind. :evil: Anyway...
I like all SH games too (I'd say favourite 1 or 3). And you don't like SH2? Get your shield and helmet and prepare for some attacks! :mrgreen: :roll:
And I like most genres of metal too. [Just got back from an Opeth live. Pwwwnage! They rule. :) ]
Finally, nice that you're working on a graphic novel! Maybe you'll consider posting it here?
Cheerz.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Whitney

Partner

User avatar

Silent Hill Historical Society Curator

Posts: 1060

Joined: Sep 22, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by Whitney on Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:19 pm

Welcome to the community St. Aatos!

I bought a wii to play SH:SM :)

What sort of graphic novel are you working on?
My Websites!
Image Image Image
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Yes, I did buy two consoles for SH games. Thankfully I only paid $100 for the PSP, because I bought it at a pawn shop. I can say that the Xbox360 was the more worthwhile purchase, because I have a few games on that to play (and more that I want to buy.)

Also, I don't hate SH2, but it is my least favorite. I think if I were to rank the games from favorite to least favorite it would look like this.

SH1
SH3
SH0
SH4
SH2 and SHH tied

Graphic Novel-wise, the title of it is 'Revelation Awakened'. The short summary; is this; 12 humans in the last quarter of the 20th century were born with innate supernatural abilities. There are some very heavy spiritual and religious overtones to the story, but that's because the story is a satire of mainstream-Christianity.

I may very likely post some of it here, as soon as it gets started. On a similar note; I did try to do a semi-au of the story for NaNoWriMo, but only got up to 10-11,000 words. I might post some snippets from it; maybe.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silent Wanderer

Member

User avatar

Children of the Korn

Posts: 473

Joined: Nov 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by Silent Wanderer on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 am

I didn't think you hate SH2. I just warned you that some people may get too offensed. :P :mrgreen:
St. Aatos wrote:The short summary; is this; 12 humans in the last quarter of the 20th century were born with innate supernatural abilities.

The first thing I thought when I read this was: "Heroes" or "Supernatural". :) :roll: I'd like to see how you'll tie the elements! ;)
As for the list I'd say that Origins would be the last without giving it much thought. :P
Expecting to hear more from you.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:54 pm

I didn't think you hate SH2. I just warned you that some people may get too offended.


:lol: :P

The first thing I thought when I read this was: "Heroes" or "Supernatural". :) :roll: I'd like to see how you'll tie the elements!


Fortunately, this story will keep with the 12, as opposed to introducing a new character every other episode :P
 
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:17 am

The Fever wrote:I think I might know you. In spite of that, welcome to the Silent Hill Community forum. :)


Wait, who are you? :P ;)
 
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:58 pm

The Fever wrote:Brandon, one of the more active and friendly Silent Hill fans around. :)


I'm sorry, who?

Just kidding with you! :D
 
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:53 am

The Fever wrote:Are you a member at Silent Hill Talk or Silent Hill Heaven Forum?


Neither. :lol:
 
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:11 am

Helldescent forums.
 
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:25 am

Eh, I like it there. That's what counts, right?
 
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:53 am

OMG Y U TEMPT ME?!

Just kidding
 
 
 
 
 
 

Whitney

Partner

User avatar

Silent Hill Historical Society Curator

Posts: 1060

Joined: Sep 22, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by Whitney on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:38 pm

The Fever wrote:I am skeptical of that place, formally known as "Silent Hill V", and before that, formally known as "Silent Hill Origins". For those who know me recognize I outright detest commercialism, essentially welcomed manipulation of the mind, and intrusion of individual privacy, the greatest threat to our diminishing liberties, which the majority of destinations on the Web perpetuate. That is why the Silent Hill Fever Universe (and hopefully Letter From Silent Heaven, [Whitney's] Silent Hill Collection & Silent Hill Community) will always be a timeless safe-haven when others either are abandoned or implement the triple punch of donations, advertising, and resulting loss of privacy.

Some people can't afford bandwidth fees associated with running a popular forum. This is why many have banner ads or take even take donations from members. Hell descent is very popular so I understand why there's a need have some banner ads on their site and it's not like they force members to pay to browse the forum.

You go on and on about "loss of privacy" but I don't see how 98% the flash banner ads result in that. Sure a lot of less respectable ads will code in malicious software but those are usually seen on illegal download or pr0n websites. The banners on Helldescent aren't any different then ones you might see on other reputable professional and extremely popular gaming sites like kotaku.com, ign, gamesradar, gamespot ...etc. It's a safe bet that they aren't mallicious and don't contain spyware.

It's the internet and if you get your panties in a twist about a couple of flash banners it makes me wonder how much of the internet you end up boycotting to avoid the sight of them. Flash banner ads are everywhere now and are pretty much an internet staple...heck even I make them for the technology company I work for. They are seen on various computer hardware sites and online stores and I know from creating and adding the actionscript myself that there isn't alternative motives. It's just a form of advertising to get people to check out your cool product and 98% are not a way to haxors your private info.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 am

This is all fine and good, but one must consider the following. Where is a person likely to go?

A: A place that has no ads, and very little activity
B: A place with a few ads, and a lot of activity.

I choose option B, because I go to forums to talk, not to stare at the pretty website, and drool over it's ad-less content. Furthermore, your claim that those who can't afford 5 USD a month might not make good admins is a little unfounded. I also frequent a Cold Case forum, that's on Pro-Boards, and has been run by the same team since 2003.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Ratiocinator

Partner

User avatar

Undeniably Nerdy. Exceedingly Cool.

Posts: 1038

Joined: Sep 16, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by Ratiocinator on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:05 am

^ Hope that wasn't a bash against this place.

You'll have to forgive Brandon, there's no easy way to describe it, but, he becomes fixated on convincing people his views are right if you don't agree with them and that advertising isn't a viable option to keep content free for the masses.

He went to town on me after I said I was Republican. Also, check out all the comments to the News page on Whitney's SHSM site. Seriously, check it out. It's a combination of funny and a little bit sad. He's usually first to reply to all of them and berates anyone who thinks SHSM was an enjoyable installment.

It's not just you... it's just about everyone.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Whitney

Partner

User avatar

Silent Hill Historical Society Curator

Posts: 1060

Joined: Sep 22, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by Whitney on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Ratiocinator wrote:^ Hope that wasn't a bash against this place.


Me too! I know it's beena little quiet but that because this place is still new :)
My Websites!
Image Image Image
 
 
 
 
 

Whitney

Partner

User avatar

Silent Hill Historical Society Curator

Posts: 1060

Joined: Sep 22, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by Whitney on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:50 pm

Do I believe my current viewpoints are all right? Yes. There is no purpose in preserving an opinion that goes unbacked by factual information. However, I also recognize a concise conclusion (I say this a lot) is a dangerous disposition. Those unwilling to alter or amend their beliefs based on further data presented are the very definition of a narrow-minded individual and genuinely have less basis opinions than others who are inclined to objectively fulfill a change of thought. If anyone chooses to disregard this bit of knowledge is outright unwarrantably denying thousands of years of physiologic studies.

This right here is what rubs people the wrong way. Just because people don't agree on your points from not changing their opinion after hearing your side of the argument doesn't mean they are necessarily narrow minded. You say you bring up facts to support your argument but to tell you the truth your facts come like rhetoric most of the time. For example; on your post about the evils of Firefox you mentioned that they and IE ripped of Opera but didn't really give any specifics just generalizations.

You Firefox people need remember who invented many of the features used by Windows Internet Explorer and Firefox. Opera is responsible for many modern Web browser technologies and over-achieves at those IE and FF try to mimic. Not to mention it has the best secure track record, most standards compliant, and has available binaries for all major operating environments

It's hard for someone just to take their word that what they say is correct when they don't provide sources.

Ratiocinator wrote:He went to town on me after I said I was Republican


Actually I said very little concerning your political affiliation. I do hope we have can a civil, intellectual debate on politics before long.

Actually you might not of said a lot directly to Ratiocinator but you made sure to make your displeasure known when it became apparent that there were at least 3 people on the forums with different political beliefs then you. This was done by slipping in random jabs at various leaders of the party, by starting some political topics, and adding statements on various businesses you don't like on your forum signature. There's nothing wrong with being proud of what you believe in but the sudden onslaught of political things on a very non polictial forum was odd. It came off like it was some sort of retaliation.

Speaking from my own experience you have a tendency to point out how "evil" a person's beliefs are if they don't agree with you, which isn't very nice. You've often accused me of being brainwashed by my parents and never thinking for myself because we hold different opinions. It wasn't just politics either my food choices (white bread) even some of my favorite televsion shows (the Soup) brought out very harsh criticisms on my morals and intelligence.

Ratiocinator wrote:He's usually first to reply to all of them


Being first to comment is erroneous? I thought it was responsive and supportive.

Ratiocinator wrote:and berates anyone who thinks SHSM was an enjoyable installment


I have proudly and consistently been providing counter arguments to reviews of Shattered Memories, otherwise known as "comments", which the Web site supports. Equilibrium/balance of feedback is socially just and fair; it is the fabric of our democratic society after all.


This is true but your disagreements come off harsh and extreme. I mean I had someone ask me to ban your ip because they thought you were just trolling because of your negative responses to any good review of the game. Often claiming something was nefarious at work behind any of the good reviews: The game got a good review because reviewer hadn't played the originals, if they did they were influenced by Resident Evil which subconsciously effected their review...If that wasn't the case it was because they were obviously paid off to write a good review because that's the case with most "professional" reviews. Heck you even insinuated that people who liked the game liked it for the "wrong reasons."

Fine you don't like the game and you disagree with the good reviews... but tell me was it really necessary to claim that Tomm (a general Konami employee) should get fired over it? It wasn't that terrible of a game and Tomm works on other title besides Silent Hill. It's statements like that make it seem like you are just trolling. Just because you don't like the product doesn't mean it's okay to make personal jokes at his expense either...I mean you implied the other day that he was someone who needs penis pills when really there was no need... to bring the man's personal life into discussion.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
 
 
 
 
 

Whitney

Partner

User avatar

Silent Hill Historical Society Curator

Posts: 1060

Joined: Sep 22, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by Whitney on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:05 am

The Fever wrote:Whitney, you are being quite shortsighted. You say yourself and others are being rubbed the wrong way as a result of my verbalized opinions. Did you stop and think about a differing frame of mind than your own? Maybe I take offense to your opinions, yet I have not ganged up with others to belittle one judgment from the judgment of masses. That is how I perceive this- it is a populist agenda attacking the lone wolf. If you think it is going to intimidate me, think again. If the roles were reversed, it would be the same refute citing I am being too receptive of the game.

I didn't think I was being shortsighted and I am in no way trying to intimidate you into liking SHSM. I was trying to explain why people thought you were trolling because of some of your harsh comments on AOMM lately.

The ED drugs were initially brought up by you, notably in a constructive means. I merely took that mention and made a The Soup-like joke. Tomm is an employee of Konami, as you said, but he has higher responsibilities and in the business world Republicans are so keen on, people are held accountable for their actions.

Yes I bought it up as a joke since most of my spam on the comments involves either nude celebrities or ED pills. I don't believe in censoring anyone because they have a different opinion and I certainly don't consider your comments as spam. I don't really see how your joke is in anyway similar to the ones on "the soup." Lately you seem to have it out for Tomm...and bringing him up in the joke just seemed really out of place that's all.

I have known you for some time now. You are a nice, approachable woman that I have come to consider a Silent Hill friend.

Thanks :)
My Websites!
Image Image Image
 
 
 
 
 

St. Aatos

User avatar

Posts: 31

Joined: Dec 05, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by St. Aatos on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:07 am

Ratiocinator wrote:^ Hope that wasn't a bash against this place.

You'll have to forgive Brandon, there's no easy way to describe it, but, he becomes fixated on convincing people his views are right if you don't agree with them and that advertising isn't a viable option to keep content free for the masses.

He went to town on me after I said I was Republican. Also, check out all the comments to the News page on Whitney's SHSM site. Seriously, check it out. It's a combination of funny and a little bit sad. He's usually first to reply to all of them and berates anyone who thinks SHSM was an enjoyable installment.

It's not just you... it's just about everyone.


Hmm? No, no it wasn't a bash against this place.

I was just saying that if I enjoy a forum I'm not going to care if the place has a few ads. :D
 
 
 
 
 
 

Whitney

Partner

User avatar

Silent Hill Historical Society Curator

Posts: 1060

Joined: Sep 22, 2009

Hello everyone

Post by Whitney on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:16 pm

St. Aatos wrote:Hmm? No, no it wasn't a bash against this place.

I was just saying that if I enjoy a forum I'm not going to care if the place has a few ads. :D


Yay!
My Websites!
Image Image Image
 
 
 
Next


Return to Welcome to Silent Hill



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron