Discussion of PT and the canceled Silent Hills game.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by PinentidHead on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:54 am

P.T., the most downloaded horror game teaser ever, it's now a reference of the genre. But I must say it is leaving a bad legacy, I'll try to explain why and hope you convince me I'm wrong!

First, will not be the first time something with a huge impact in the industry causes bad consequences, as RE4. Resident Evil is like a brother of Silent Hill, so I was watching the Fungo's review of RE7, possibly the next spiritual successor of P.T.. He didn't like it and shown P.T. as an example of how to make it right. But he is wrong, beginning by the argument that Capcom lied about the game - they did, but everybody did, so as Kojima and his friends. Let's have a new look in P.T.

P.T. is not a teaser or a demo, we know now. It's a complete short game that Kojima did just because he can. As he states in his own game, he was dying boring in Konami and got nothing to lose by disobey by doing something was clearly against company's plan. He shown to the market he is the guy: he finished MGS and did an awesome horror game with the free time (I think Kojima has a clone working in secret). RagnarRox did a conspiracy theory that you should know, I think there is some true about, Kojima was not naive.

RE7 teaser is the real thing, a real teaser, something to show what they are thinking, even with bugs and flaws, it's not the final product. They probably played P.T. and though - what about a RE like this? They need to test such huge change of plans, what are people complaining about?

Before, we have the alternative candidates as Allison Road... ok, rebuild P.T. was easy, make all the entire game, not so. It will be really hard to do this reverse creative job: to pick something that is ready to create a concept. We know Silent Hill game had a previous concept so they started to look for references (that city), sketches and finally they drew the game. You can pick a picture and create a short story based on it, but to build a game, I doubt.

So I think P.T. was so cool that we will have headaches for a while... maybe until Death Stranding get ready! Anyway, do you hope for a good legacy of P.T.?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:06 am

PT was cool, sure. What I find to be interesting is that people assume there would automatically be a "great Silent Hill game" following it, when it was stated that it was something else.
ImageImageImage

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Oohfakanorus on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:47 am

It's cast a large shadow. Larger than the initial HDCollection nonsense, but sadly overshadowing Downpour.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Tabris

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Tabris on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:54 am

Its legacy is going to be a century of people still asking if they're going to make it.

PinentidHead

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by PinentidHead on Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:55 pm

Oohfakanorus wrote:It's cast a large shadow. Larger than the initial HDCollection nonsense, but sadly overshadowing Downpour.

Why you say "sadly overshadowing Downpour"?

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Oohfakanorus on Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:20 am

PinentidHead wrote:
Oohfakanorus wrote:It's cast a large shadow. Larger than the initial HDCollection nonsense, but sadly overshadowing Downpour.

Why you say "sadly overshadowing Downpour"?

Word of mouth and posts about P.T. and it's deletion have added to the legendary of the series. Even though legends aren't always the truth.
More people seem to be going crazy over what could have been over where could the series go after Downpour.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:08 pm

It will be a reminder of what could have been...

It will also be a reminder of how despicable Konami is ....

PinentidHead

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by PinentidHead on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:17 pm

"what could have been", so will be a virtual memory literally - a memory of a potential reality. Interesting!

But I am actually watchful (did find the right word) about the events involving Konami, Kojima, Silent Hill... and us. So Kojima, after saw the AAA peopleware being disassembled, and boring of making another MGS, did a game as a "catapult" for himself... I don't know if it was good to the franchise. It was inevitable? We will see in the future.

There is an interesting documentary in the Netflix: "Game Over". It's about the events in Atari at the time of E.T. release and the collapse of the company. I saw this happening, as E.T. fan and Atari player, but is very different when you see a real research, digging (sometimes literally) the past and all the sordid details.

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:19 pm

Only speaking for myself here, it felt like the series had been getting stale from the 2007 point onward, stuck in its own tropes and formulas (maybe excepting Shattered Memories to some degree). Plus the production value seemed to drop-off in this timeframe. The finished games often didn’t quite match the image quality touted before the respective releases. And sometimes they frankly felt like budget titles. That’s not to say these were terrible games, or that there was nothing to appreciate about them, just that the series was in need of a rebirth.

P.T. as a standalone entry did what was needed to get people to pay attention again. It shed the old skin, it did away with the familiar and comfortable and gave us a completely different animal to wrestle, much to its credit and success. Assuming the franchise will see no more videogame installments, at least P.T. allowed it a noble departure on that front.

Otherworld

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Otherworld on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:58 am

^ Agreed. It did so with high production value, and it did a fantastic job at scaring most that played it. Spawning a bunch of copy cats.
REVEAL SPOILER

The quality of the teaser has not been matched so far IMO ....

PinentidHead

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by PinentidHead on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:46 pm

I think P.T. is a remind to all horror survival producers, players and all people involved that this special sub-genre of game ain't easy to be made. It's a long hard job from a good script, working on every detail, every connection or reference, than you need a hell of a team, money, a strong will and a bit of luck! To make a game like this is an extra hard game of life to play!

This sub-genre should be limited to big companies as Capcom for the next years. Maybe some new one created by some crazy japanese...

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by clips7 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:31 am

P.T. started a trend that gave the survival horror gen. some life....yes you had indy games doin' their thing, but P.T. put the entire genre on notice and spawned multiple imitations. Initially Kojima and crew stated it wasn't part of the game itself, but i believe they would incorporated that teaser in the game itself either as a separate game from the main game itself OR they just could have made it part of the opening scene for the game itself.

That teaser was just too good to not incorporate it in some form or fashion...how in the world can a teaser be considered to be one of the top game of what was it 2015?....that small teaser had atmosphere, explosive visuals, an an obscure and abstract timeloop and it was better than some full fledged horror games of today.....
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

PinentidHead

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by PinentidHead on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:05 pm

Anyone know a playable teaser that was not included in the final product?

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Oohfakanorus on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear P.T.
I guess there's one more star in Heaven!

(And thanks to RelyOnHorror for pointing out it was released this day a few years ago)

Otherworld

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Otherworld on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:37 am

Time flies......

I just played it a few days ago too.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by clips7 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:50 am

Otherworld wrote:Time flies......

You are one of the lucky ones.... :(
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Otherworld on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:31 am

clips7 wrote:
Otherworld wrote:Time flies......

You are one of the lucky ones.... :(

It's a shame, really. They could have just patched it, and put a price on it and people would still be able to enjoy it...

But no, Konami is Konami....

Tabris

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Tabris on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:05 am

Yea it's kind of ridiculous. I am going to be mourning the hell out of my PS4 when it dies because of PT.

Hell, it was a huge reason I even wanted my PS4 at the time. Fucking Konami.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:32 am

You just have to back up your copy to keep PT. I sold my PS4 but I still have PT backed up on a flash drive in case I buy another one.

But yeah, PT was literally the reason I bought a PS4. When I heard it came out, from either Whitney or John posting about it, I forget who, I immediately bought a PS4 the same day.
ImageImageImage

Tabris

The Legacy of P.T.

Post by Tabris on Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:51 am

Nice! That is proper dedication.

That's also a really good idea. Backing things up never even crossed my mind with consoles. Goes to show how often I even use them.

I'm definitely going to do that though. I'm going to have a whole damn closet full of USB sticks so I never risk the chance of losing it. And a bank vault. Then someday an entire country dedicated to keeping it safe.

Next

Return to PT/Silent Hills