Discussion of PT and the canceled Silent Hills game.

Meltdown

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Meltdown on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:04 pm

clips7 wrote:That said, even though the franchise was never a big Blockbuster (not even SH2) I don't see how those guys in upper mgnt could not see the potential with P.T. and the excitement and interest that the game garnered even at shows afterwards where it was further being demo'd. Any CEO would have gave the project the green light....
I don't know any of the numbers, but even if SH hasn't been a blockbuster franchise, it still has to be making Konami money. Boat loads of it, I'd imagine. Otherwise they would've let it fall by the wayside a long, long time ago. I'd imagine having Reedus, del Toro, and Kojima on board was simply a gamble that having some big names attached to a (fairly) big name like Silent Hill would have raked in higher returns than some of the more recent SH games.

devil hunter wrote:Ah, I was afraid I was gonna get a lot of hate for the post, thankfully I was proven wrong, but yeah, they obivously sucked up to people well, so why screw it up like that?

I pretty much agreed with all of your points, but I sort of feel like your argument could have been made against any further SH installments and not just against Silent Hills. The chances of a Silent Hill being much more than fan service at this point seems pretty low, especially as long as Konami controls the franchise. Even Shattered Memories, while unique, was a retelling of the original game. The problems facing SH are the same that face most successful series. Developers want to recreate the original magic, not necessarily innovate.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Meltdown wrote: but I sort of feel like your argument could have been made against any further SH installments and not just against Silent Hills. The chances of a Silent Hill being much more than fan service at this point seems pretty low, especially as long as Konami controls the franchise. Even Shattered Memories, while unique, was a retelling of the original game. The problems facing SH are the same that face most successful series. Developers want to recreate the original magic, not necessarily innovate.

True, true, however, I believe that can all be traced back to SH3 actually. SH3 didn't need to be connected to the first game, but it was, same with SH4 and its connections to 1 and 2.

Howver, this is all subjective, maybe they decided to reference those games for a reason, I dunno, it's late here and I guess I'm not making much sense haha

ZBrush

Are you sure the only you is you?

Post by ZBrush on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:36 pm

Kojima has been SILENT almost for 7 weeks, i just don't get it. why?
E3 1998: the world was introduced to Silent Hill.
Gamescom 2014: the world was re-introduced to Silent Hill.
27 April 2015: Silent Hills was hidden by Konami.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:42 pm

If things are still being settled, he may not want to comment on the situation. Or he is not allowed to comment on the situation. Or he's busy.
ImageImageImage

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:01 pm

ZBrush you may wanna kinda alter your sig a bit, since Konami ruined everything.

Gamescom 2014: The world was reintroduced to Silent Hill but it was a joke. Silent Hill, we still miss you.

It is noteworthy that Kojima is now the only one to not say anything on the situation. Del Toro and Reedling both addressed it. Konami addressed it (well, was forced to by public pressure).

But not Kojima.

Maybe he is still being tapped for the next SH, it just isnt't Silent Grillz.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

ZBrush

Post by ZBrush on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:23 pm

I can't say anything for now, i'm just waiting for E3!

Oh man! Silent Hills was supposed to be one of the greatest games of all time. FUCKKKK :cry:
This show was incredible, look at Kojima:

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:50 pm

What an absolute shame....

To think what could have been...... The potential this title had.

I know we should be used to this by now, but unfortunately when it comes to Konami...... Expecting the worst is normal.

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:26 pm

I'm trying to not think about what could have been. My life's been shitty enough recently..lol

To think that the series was getting attention for the first time in years only for it to be swept away is depressing.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Something good has come of this. I'm really enjoying the replies to Konami's tweets. There is no way they don't know people think they are the worst. This is almost a meme in itself. It should be a meme. I'd like to make a thread of Konami tweet replies. It's just too funny.

Also I'm really enjoying the things people come up with.

Through the ashes rises comedy.

Vestige

Post by Vestige on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:05 am

This goes to Konami. To you with all my heart.

P.S. Someone edit the above to make it Konami flavoured and post to them >n<.

Vengur

Warcraft is my jam.

Post by Vengur on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:38 am

Vestige wrote:This goes to Konami. To you with all my heart.

P.S. Someone edit the above to make it Konami flavoured and post to them >n<.

Lol. Superhero Movie was pretty funny and this was a hilarious scene.
Why does the Devil have a monopoly on buying souls?

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:34 am

What remains to be seen now is that being konami has the rights to the fox engine will they fully take advantage of it? According to the information in that video, konami only has one unit that is dedicated to video games....the same team responsible for DDR, PES..etc.

I'm trying to remain positive in thinking that with the fox engine, they can possibly create something special, but with the way konami treats this series, i'm thinking they will cut corners even on that front. The series needed that level of polish that we have seen in the P.T. demo...now even with the fox engine, i still think konami might put it back on the shelf and proceed with it's "lowest bid" business model.

It just seems like you are going to have a bunch suits walking around saying "is the game finished yet?"...good.."are we under the budget?".....as if it will be completely robotic in the development without any type of passion for the series...

I'm also wondering how long it will be before we actually get a true SH game....
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:53 am

Here is hoping that Konami's venture into gambling makes them think that selling ip's like Metal Gear, PES, Dance Dance Revolution, and Silent Hill along with the Fox Engine makes more sense than trying to sustain the business themselves .....

If that happens, and with the success of the PS4 ...... here is hoping Sony can swoop in and save the day ....

On another note the Playstation store has a Golden week Sale .....

They are selling these titles at GREAT prices ...

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PS3 $8.00
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty – HD Edition PS3 $6.00
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater – HD Edition PS3 $6.00
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES PS3 $8.00
METAL GEAR SOLID: HD COLLECTION PS3 $16.00
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker – HD Edition PS3 $8.00
Zone of the Enders 1 HD Edition PS3 $4.00
Zone of the Enders HD Collection PS3 $14.00
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner HD Edition PS3 $8.00

It was very difficult for me to resist purchasing Ground Zeros as the PS4 version is $8.00 as well. ........

ZBrush

Post by ZBrush on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:31 am

May 8:
Konami Will Report Earnings for the Latest Financial Quarter

If Konami has news to share regarding the future of the company, this could be a venue where it might do so. We'll be keeping a close eye, as usual, on this earnings report next week.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-s ... 0-6426954/

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:37 am

E3 will tell the tale as well

ZBrush

Post by ZBrush on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:47 am

^Yeah E3 is our last chance.

This comment caught my attention:

Everything about the situation is slightly off and almost unreal. what if this is all an elaborate hoax, designed by the mastermind kojima himself? of course, the only possible reason i could see them doing this is for an experimental and extremely "out of the box" marketing campaign where it later ties into the game... they got us talking and our full attention, right? it seems to be working... it would the biggest HAHA moment of kojima's career if this was all elaborately constructed for a huge reveal at a later point. won't we all feel dumb then? you saw it here first!
The timing of everything is just too convenient. the announcement of them pulling down the pt demo and then the next day de-listing the stock exchange... all this just a mere weeks leading up to e3. it is all so bizarre... on the other hand, it is just as likely to be real and in fact an odd turn of events. i will say that i wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way at this point...
Last edited by ZBrush on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:49 am.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:49 am

PS4 with Silent Hills demo P.T. installed listed for £1000 on ebay ....

http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/29/ps4-with-silent-hills-demo-p-t-installed-listed-for-1000-on-ebay/

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 am

JimFnSterlingSon sums up how we all feel. Literally everyone knows Konami doesn't know how to business. Their practices are actually anti-consumer when you really consider everything. If one can remove themselves from the games and just look at Konami objectively, they still come off as a company with really shitty standards. Simply, this isn't how a succesful business handles its properties, employees, consumers, and public image.

truth is, there are still really great SH games being made by people really passionate about making a SH game without needing Konami's approval.

-Team Psychoz' game "Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities" is truly a SH game. It nails everything the original games mastered. It even acquired the voice talent of Dave and Guy from SH2. It's about 5~ hours, it's not terribly long. It's the first installment of a series of loosely connected stories within the same universe, so it's not done. It is heavily based on exploration and puzzle solving. It places you in a large building with multiple open paths that can be traversed from the beginning, allowing you to choose how to tackle the game. Backtracking is a requirement, as you'll be going from room to room, sometimes across the entire building, to complete puzzles. It features a recurrring SH theme of being taken to a place called "Nowhere" (it is lterally called that), and these sections are the highlight of the game. Near the end, there is one room in Nowhere that can be reached by descending a really long set of metal stairs and let me tell you that room will catch you off guard. It is very creepy and offsetting. It's the first time in a long time a SH game (I call it that) made me stop, be freaked out, laugh a bit, then say "okay game. You got me. That was really, really good." Um, the game also relies on a manual save system that utliizes floppy disks on computer. Each floppy disk is good for one save. And there are maybe 5 in the entire game. So much like the early resident evil titles, you are forced to be very strategic in how you save, as your ability to save is very limited. The lighting in this game is better than anything since the early SH games. The framing of some scenes is amazing, meant to maximize the suspense and dread. There will be moments where you don't want to go on, but know you have to. The overall ambient tone is very unsettling and fits in very well with the earlier SH games. The only downside I can think of is that the combat is extremely poor when you are using touchscreen inputs (for now its only available on ios). The enemy encounters occur quickly and you need to be able to spin, move, aim, etc quickly, and it isnt completely possible on touchscreen input, so you can expect a lot of cheap deaths because you're too busy fumbling with an awkward input system. It is very clearly meant for a mapped button system, and will be better when released on vita/wii u.

I'd recommend buying Forgotten Memories on ios. Its like 6 bucks. Its worth every penny. And its a better SH game than the last 4 mainline SH games. I wish I were joking. I am not.

So even though Konami wants to drag SH to the dirt, there are people who are passionate to see the spirit of the series live on. You can expect more games like Forgotten Memories by other teams like this. Even the Alchemilla Mod was a very good game considering the small team behind it. Sadly, I have to admit the production value of Forgotten Memories is dramatically better, but only because it appears as though its a team with many members and a substantial budget.

Konami may want to kill Silent Hill. But even when it is dead and buried by the hands of an evil corporation, it's spirit will live on for decades.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:37 am

^ The last minute of that video was fucking hilarious !!!!!!

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:38 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/29/8513077/p-t-ebay

is play forgotten memories if I had a console that allowed me too

PreviousNext

Return to PT/Silent Hills