Discussion of PT and the canceled Silent Hills game.

TomRL

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by TomRL on Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Otherworld wrote:Other than the fact that Reedus' contract period has expired we are still in the dark as far as SHs is concerned ...

Because "We will continue to develop the Silent Hill series." means very little especially when they specifically leave the name of the game, 'Silent Hills" completely out of it.

And for all intents and purposes " Silent Hills " is dead ...... No Kojima, No Reedus,

Konami may be planning something with the franchise, but the vision that was brought forth initially looks like what we see below .....

... Looks like I won't be playing SH3 anytime soon. Thanks.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:28 pm

I'm tired of it. This was a waste of time. We're all being drug around by a company who doesn't even give a shit. I feel as though Konami would rather kill Silent Hill dead instead of sell it off and take the money.

I bet Sony would pay many millions for the IP. Hell, Yoshida himself has gushed all over P.T.

There are many companies who would probably pay a lot for the Silent Hill IP. But no, Konami's probably gonna drag it down and beat it up until nothing is left.

I can only look to George Lucas selling the Star Wars rights to Disney and say "Konami will eventually sell their gaming IPs if they have no financial need to keep them."

One day...one day Silent Hill will belong to someone who actually respects it and doesn't treat it like shit.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Red24

Post by Red24 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:28 pm

I'm new here. I just had to register to give my two cents on this whole fiasco. I'm really hoping this is just a really strange and elaborate ruse. It seems kind of unlikely giving all the information about it, but I'm still holding on to hope. If this game does not get made from the vision we were promised(Kojima/Del Toro) I'll be really upset. PT was the first thing to scare me in a really long time and I was super psyched about the new silent hills. Silent hill 2 is one of my favorite all time games and I just wanted to see the series come alive again. What's with the Norman Reedus pizza emoticon anyway? What's with Del Toro's greasy heart statement?

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:36 pm

It might be because the company is having financial problems, not because they don't give a shit. They just pulled out of the NY stock exchange to cut costs. Also, this seems to be an American division problem as markets in London and Japan seems unaffected.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:12 pm

Seems to me that this is driven by greed. This company has chosen to restructure itself so it will be well positioned to take advantage of the legalization of gambling in Japan....

It is quite obvious that they are ready to leave their gaming division out to pasture.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:24 pm

Um, companies exist to make money.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:05 am

Well, just think, if it's legalized in Japan and they make buttloads of money, maybe they'll have money to invest in hiring decent people to make a new SH game. But yeah, companies exist to make money. You can't separate art from commerce where games are concerned. Even SH1 was partly made to cash in the popularity of games like Resident Evil.
ImageImageImage

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:01 am

TomRL wrote:
Otherworld wrote:Other than the fact that Reedus' contract period has expired we are still in the dark as far as SHs is concerned ...

Because "We will continue to develop the Silent Hill series." means very little especially when they specifically leave the name of the game, 'Silent Hills" completely out of it.

And for all intents and purposes " Silent Hills " is dead ...... No Kojima, No Reedus,

Konami may be planning something with the franchise, but the vision that was brought forth initially looks like what we see below .....

... Looks like I won't be playing SH3 anytime soon. Thanks.

Dude the game is 12 years old, the spoilers window has expired.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:24 am

I swear to god if they bring SH to mobile and we start seeing shit like Candy Crush-style SH matching tile games I'll just move on with my life and find some other series to love.

I'll be honest. It does not bode well that Konami is looking to move to mobile gaming, and is also saying "we'll continue the SH franchise".

You were killed by Pyramid Head. Would you like to purchase 5 more lives for $5.99?

^That right there is what they want. Microtransactions. DLC. That's what they talk about when they say they want to go mobile. Microtransactions have been slowly taking over console gaming. It's a cancer. And it's easy money.

HellFrozenRain

Post by HellFrozenRain on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:34 am

It's all gone tits up really. I expect they will continue to outsource and create shit. :sick:

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:17 am

I wonder how much the final product would actually be liked because I seriously don't see anything about Silent Hills that was bold or different. It's the very definition of "sucking up to the fanbase" and following popular trends.

The idea behind P.T. is original, but that's aobut it.

Whether P.T. is a satire on first person horror games is irrelevant (besides, there doesn't seem to be much satire in the first place, or maybe I'm just too stupid to see it) they still do what's popular at the moment and people love it because of the way it looks like that. Intended satire is probably lost on most people and they obviously want what they see. Getting something different may cause them to lose interest.

Story wise...it's really nothing new, no new mythos to the SH series. It's very SH2 actually. Sure, you might say it's done in a different way, but that's like if I remove some major parts of SH3, tweak minor things and give you a very simplistic version and call it different.

NOTE: I know you might bring up Shattered Memories, but that's actually an example of taking old things, really changing them up, doing your own thing while still being faithful to the original source and still making an original product without making it seem like a watered down version.

I hope that makes sense. You may think I'm biased, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible.

So, making a very SH2 game story is just pushing the right buttons on the orgasmo meter of some SH fans. So, again, they're just using what's popular.

Some say that all the possible SH references are just well researched tips to the franchise. But come on, it's easy to play a game then reference it in another game, very easy.

I might put a noose in one of the rooms in the demo. It would still have revalance to the demo (because of the story) and people might see it as a SH2 reference (that puzzle with hanged people).

So, basically, more "let's make fans happy" stuff.

So yeah, these are all pretty "mainstream" decisions, logical business decisions to generate interest. There's nothing new or different here. They're just using popular things to generate interest in people, they're giving them what they want.

It's something a lot of publishers etc. do. It's logical. If they wanted to do something different we wouldn't get something like this.

I said it before, but putting people like Del Toro and Norman Reedus into the project and even contacting Kojima is nothing bold or different. It's just a logical, sound decision.

They didn't chose nobodies, they chose people who are pretty popular right now or who have lots of experience and a big fanbase.

Basically, bringing in more fanbases.

Now I wonder how the final product would actually turn out. Would they play it safe or not? Would people complain about how much they played it safe or would people be OK with it? Would people complain about stuff being too different? etc.

This is all equvivalent of selling some kid a lot of delicious chocolate. He'll be happy and the person who's giving the chocolate will be happy too (that is, if Konami wasn't so illogical).

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:29 am

It is interesting to think of all these "what if?'s" for years to come.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:42 am

After countless years of this entire fanbase complaining that the franchise hasn't been treated right and has been under funded. All the while the majority of fans have been begging for it to go back to it's roots. Knowing we need a proven developer and a rock solid game engine to boot ......

Kojima was sucking up to the fanbase ????

And yes I know Konami is a company that has to make money.......

But .... my God ......the countless, blatant, and nonsensical acts of sheer greed we have seen from Konami my respect for Kojima is at an all time high right now.

Why ........ ???

Some may not agree here but Kojima was the only one fighting the good fight for Silent Hill. ( Tomm gets an honorable mention as well ) I mean let's face it .... he was finally going to give the fans what they wanted. Oh, and guess what ..... to make money ..... you give the fans what they want ...... It's really that simple .....

And yes that is the very definition of "sucking up to the fanbase" but Jesus Christ ..... if there is one fanbase that deserves a little sucking up to it is this fanbase without a fucking doubt.....Hence the free PT drop .... Yes FREE ..... do the words Konami and free go together ...... NOPE. Thank KOJIMA for that .....

I mean have you guys been around for the last couple of years ????

Am I the only one that has watched this franchise get milked like a 80 year old skinny, run down cow without a drop left to give .....

Kojima gets his hands on the franchise ..... brings it back to it's roots ( I offer Devil Hunters interpretation of PT above) ensures that there is fantastic talent to back him up, and gives the new game a budget it deserves and what happens ......

Komani's like ...... NAW SON !!!!

We finally get some logical thinking ( again I refer to Devil Hunters post above ) as far as what is best for the franchise and it's fans and Konami crushes it as fast as they can .....

After this rant ...... I offer this ...... And some will disagree ......

Kojima was THE BEST THING to happen to this franchise. He truly cares for the art of game making and lost not only his job, but his own studio, and his original creation because he was oppose to the idea of the almighty dollar ruling all. If that type of dedication does not conjure up respect for a man that chose not to be an executive in a company that is just about to screw a shit load of people so they can cash in on gambling of all things I have no idea how anyone can gain any respect at all .....

I don't know about you, but for me .... that is the type of person I would want to have control of Silent Hill.

Food for thought ...... http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/04/28/silent-hill-is-the-real-victim-in-the-konamikojima-split

Sorry .. I had to get that off my chest .........

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:40 am

Completely agree with Otherworld here. You finally get a guy that brings SH back into the spotlight and konami kills the entire project. P.T. had over 1 million downloads....wtf?! Are those executives the same guys that stated Tomb Raider was a failure after selling 5 MILLION units worldwide?..... :? ...this s**t is pathetic.

Company's exist to make money, but even tho we didn't know how the actual game was going to turn out, you had a pretty good idea that whatever it was, it was bound to be better than the late SH games we've received over the years. P.T. had more atmosphere and stunning visuals that all of the games combined from last gen.

And Reedus's contract or term with Konami?.....the guy didn't even get started on anything and Konami states that his contract has expired....XD....just really hilarious stuff. If this was about money, cut Reedus and save you some money there and create an original fictional character.

Could SH's have stunk up tha joint royally?.....yeah it could have, but based on what we've seen from P.T......not likely. Koanmi could have made a ton money from this project just from Kojima having his name all over this and the game was finally going to get a stellar engine for incredible visuals and budget that it finally deserves and being that the fox engine was in-house anyway, they would have saved some money in production costs....

I haven't jumped onto buying a ps4 yet because there really isn't any games for it, but I was big on SH's and maybe the next MASS Effect and "The Evil Within"/Batman AK....but that was it...my only other horror game I'm looking forward to is "Until Dawn"...which is created and produced by SONY.....those idiots at konami just need to sell the franchise to them...:coffee:
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:51 am

It'll go down as one of the biggest business blunders in gaming history to date. This game was guaranteed to make them millions and put them back in the public's favor.

Everything they have done is completely opposite of smart. This isn't how you run a business.

Truth is, there really must be one or two higher-ups running the show that are ruining things. Some jackass executive (perhaps the CEO) is behind it all.

At any rate, Silent Hills has joined The Last Guardian and Half Life 3 in that magical land known as "mega-hits that will never be because someone got their panties in a wad".

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:20 pm

Ah, I was afraid I was gonna get a lot of hate for the post, thankfully I was proven wrong, but yeah, they obivously sucked up to people well, so why screw it up like that? It's like a sick joke really and people got trolled hard.

And why did The Last Guardian have to be mentioned, I want to play that so much ;_;

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:57 pm

^ It's quite clear.

Konami wants to play a big part when gambling is legal in Japan ....

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Yeah...the way this is going down is just seems like the chairmen of the board are just saying "Let's purge our gaming unit into one practical and cost efficient unit"..."Whatever market is our strengths, let's focus on them"...

From a business standpoint, just from guys that want to make money, I can understand to a certain degree...you make games to turn a profit and the SH franchise was never selling like it's RE counterpart, and while it did take awhile for the games to turn a profit for them I, believe they eventually did.

I'm still not sure where Downpour's numbers lined up, but I gotta be honest...I think Downpour's numbers was worse than Homecoming's and that's not because Downpour was a poor game....just "0" marketing...and that "LETS GET WET" campaign that Otherworld posts from time to time also equals "0" marketing, because that ad was pure trash trying to enlighten the minds of horny 10-12 yr olds.

That said, even though the franchise was never a big Blockbuster (not even SH2) I don't see how those guys in upper mgnt could not see the potential with P.T. and the excitement and interest that the game garnered even at shows afterwards where it was further being demo'd. Any CEO would have gave the project the green light....

Yes Kojima's games...namely MGS games are expensive by themselves without any celebs so I know having Reedus (one of the hottest stars out now due to "TWD") didn't come cheap..and I already spoke in how they could have reduced the budget a bit by eliminating his character. So with the celebrities involved (Reedus.Del Toro) I'm assuming the budget would have been astronomical, but still the inhouse fox engine and other factors could have reduced the budget.

Still ultimately we don't know what went down...Konami reached out to Kojima to do the next SH's..we got the amazing P.T...1 million downloads....then the push for MGS5...then outta nowhere Kojima gets canned and with it SH's...or at least the next SH game without Kojima and his team.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:34 pm

Have a nice day ......

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Otherworld wrote:Image

Have a nice day ......

This pretty much.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to PT/Silent Hills