Discussion of PT and the canceled Silent Hills game.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:45 am

I thought it was a very smart idea to go after that fan base. I mean to make money that is what you have to do .....

How is trying to widen a fan base a misguided idea .... :question: :question: :question: :question:

Not at all surprised at Konami's fears about a rather large budget for a Silent Hill game .....

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:48 am

Otherworld wrote:How is trying to widen a fan base a misguided idea ....

It's using celebrity hype rather than actual gameplay, but more importantly, costs more money than hiring nobodies, especially if you don't know how much it'll make because of the fuckups in the past causing such bad press for konami. Hiring some famous people doesn't undo the damage caused by, say, SHHD. I'd still say money could be more well-spent on game development than VAs. Gamers who hear about a GOOD game are still more likely to buy it, I'd say, than non-gamers who happen to watch WD and might not even like games. I'm not certain the decision would've given a good return on investment.
Not at all surprised at Konami's fears about a rather large budget for a Silent Hill game .....

Well, if that part is true, they have good reasons to be afraid, yeah.
ImageImage

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:52 am

You know if Norman being removed from the game is the only major change, it would validate all the claims made so far because Silent Hills "as it was planned" would be no more. It could be that all the statemtents have been just semantics, and that the game itself is still a go. With Norman out, it's not the "embryonic" project first envisioned.

If all that needs to be done is lower the budget and cast an unknown as the lead, that's really not much change. I feel as though Kojima and Del Toro both want in on this game still. It's just that the game they originally set out on is different, thus "Silent Hills is no more". Could all be nothing more than semantics.

Maybe the game is still a go only with other changes to budget and casting. As for casting, I was always iffy about Norman in it because I felt like it would be really hard for a lot of people to NOT see Darryl Dixon from the Walking Dead. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen "is that Darryl?" in comment sections even as recently as yesterday. It certainly is a problem that people can't separate Norman from Darryl and would impact the game in perhaps negative ways. Casting unknowns is always the best approach, since it is easier to get into the story and character's mindset.

So perhaps al this drama is really over minor stuff, only that, because it is minor stuff, it allows people to make sweeping claims like "Silent Hills is no more" because technically that is true.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:02 pm

kotaku wrote: Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic ‘Silent Hills’ project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued.

In terms of Kojima and Del Toro being involved, discussions on future Silent Hill projects are currently underway, and please stay tuned for further announcements.

Seems to me that it'll be a "new SH title." But yeah, the only thing that seems certain is that Reedus isn't there anymore. It sounded like he hadn't done much of anything, anyway, at this point. So they still haven't said that Kojima and del Toro won't be involved.
ImageImage

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:24 pm

nur_ein_tier wrote:
Otherworld wrote:How is trying to widen a fan base a misguided idea ....

It's using celebrity hype rather than actual gameplay, but more importantly, costs more money than hiring nobodies, especially if you don't know how much it'll make because of the fuckups in the past causing such bad press for konami. Hiring some famous people doesn't undo the damage caused by, say, SHHD. I'd still say money could be more well-spent on game development than VAs. Gamers who hear about a GOOD game are still more likely to buy it, I'd say, than non-gamers who happen to watch WD and might not even like games. I'm not certain the decision would've given a good return on investment.

Well, if that part is true, they have good reasons to be afraid, yeah.

So, in essence, Konami does not want to spend any REAL money in Silent Hill....

The idea to draw new fans in on the back of the most watched show on television is not misguided. It's bold. It shows a reinvestment into a franchise that has been constantly plagued by under funding and not enough time for any developer to make a decent game. Evidence of that is quite clear.

PT is a very small example of what can happen if Konami chooses to invest in Silent Hill rather than just try and keep milking the shit out of it.

No one can deny the impact it had.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:29 pm

@Nur I wrote it all in that other thread so I don't have to do it here and go off-topic.

As for this whole thing....it really doesn't make any sense.

Think about it, there's tons of conflicting reports.

So, Konami approached Kojima....now they turned him away.

OK, this seems illogical at first, but if we take some things into consideration, if what Cihi said is true and that Konami was concerned about the big budget, that makes sense....and when you remember some things that hapened with the latest games, it explains so much.

Newer games had troublesome development, that's what the devs said, they had budget problems, tight schedule etc.

If all that is correct then Konami really doesn't see the series as a big moneymaker and they try to spend as less money as possible on making the games and hoping they'll get something in return.

Though, them asking Kojima is still puzzling though, I mean, it's to be expected the game will be costly to make no? Unless they expected it to be costly but Kojima had bigger budget in mind than they hoped it would be. Plus, he probably hired Del Toro and Norman. Now I wonder...

If Kojima's idea was to use Norman to attract WD fans (read: wider audience, because, let's face it, Walking Dead IS pretty popular right now) then, like you guys said it before, that really is a double edged sword.

Think about it, there are certain expectations to be had with names involved. There were a lot of comments here and elsewhere that it's too "Hollywood". I'm sure the fans of the Walking Dead series also had certain expectations. Which brings me to the next question.

If Reedus was the problem, then just replacing him would solve budget problems etc. no? Then why didn't they do it? Were there maybe more things there that affected the development of the game? Maybe even art direction, direction in general (fanbase etc.)?

I mean, "more" makes more sense than cancelling the whole project because of one VA to me.

Of course, this is all based on what Guy said, we should take it with a grain of salt.

Also, if Konami plans to make more SH games.......why did they pointlessly spent money on P.T. etc.? It sure didn't look cheaply made, it probably cost some money.

They could've simply remove some fat when it comes to Silent Hills than just starting from scratch. Now they need new people, new ideas etc. So, it's gonna cost more money than needed, they had SOMETHING with Silent Hills at least.

It's like spending material for the house, then starting to build it, tear it down and starting to make a new house with new material. Just what the hell?

So yeah, lots of mixed messages here.

Otherworld wrote:The idea to draw new fans in on the back of the most watched show on television is not misguided. It's bold. It shows a reinvestment into a franchise that has been constantly plagued by under funding and not enough time for any developer to make a decent game. Evidence of that is quite clear.

Actually, that could be considered milking too. I mean, look what Capcom did with RE series, they tried to bring in the COD crowd because they know it's $$$.

It's like if some director tries to make a slasher movie because this one slasher movie made a ton of money so they cash in on the success of it.

Hell, even P.T. can be considered an example of them taking the easy route and just catering to what's popular these days: first person horror games that have no fighting etc., that's especialyl popular with the face cam crowd.

I wouldn't call it bold, it's basic business really. It would be bolder to go against such things.
Last edited by devil hunter on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:32 pm.

residentevilo

Silent Hill Fan. Will fight my opinion.

Post by residentevilo on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:30 pm

Personally, I expected this after the news for the game sorta stopped and once the whole rumors of Kojima leaving happened.

Its a shame, because P.T was fantastic and this could have been the best selling title in the series (especially since it had so much anticipation.)

Well, whats done is done. Hopefully they still release SOMETHING. The series is a bit stale right now. I wouldn't even mind a re release of something. An HD release of Silent Hill 4 on XBL and PSN would be cool. Id also like to see the series debut on a Nintendo Handheld.

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Post by Princess Kenny on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:31 pm

The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:33 pm

devil hunter wrote:So, Konami approached Kojima....now they turned him away.

according to the Kotaku article, they are still discussing del toro and Kojima's involvement. As jam6i said, it may just be a case of not making the exact same game exactly as planned with Norman Reedus as the main char.
ImageImage

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:36 pm

Still, why didn't they remove him sooner? I mean, wouldn't they discuss payment etc. before all of this?

I dunno, for me, this is too big of a mess, I don't buy it it's all because of Reedus. It raises more questions than answers (once again).

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:37 pm

devil hunter wrote:
Otherworld wrote:The idea to draw new fans in on the back of the most watched show on television is not misguided. It's bold. It shows a reinvestment into a franchise that has been constantly plagued by under funding and not enough time for any developer to make a decent game. Evidence of that is quite clear.

Actually, that could be considered milking too. I mean, look what Capcom did with RE series, they tried to bring in the COD crowd because they know it's $$$.

It's like if some director tries to make a slasher movie because this one slasher movie made a ton of money so they cash in on the success of it.

Hell, even P.T. can be considered an example of them going the easy route and just catering to what's popular these days: first person horror games that have no fighting etc., that's especialyl popular with the face cam crowd.

I wouldn't call it bold, it's basic business really. It would be bolder to go against such things.

Call of Duty is no where near the same genre as Resident Evil. The Walking Dead and Silent Hill are a lot more similar in comparison.

The PT drop for both Konami, and Silent Hill can only be described as bold.

Here is Kojima's vision of Silent Hill:

Here is Konami's ....

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Otherworld wrote:Call of Duty is not where near the same genre as Resident Evil. The Walking Dead and Silent Hill are a lot more similar in comparison.

Not really...they have as much in common as RE does with CoD. RE has more in common with Walking Dead actually.

Otherworld wrote:The PT drop for both Konami, and Silent Hill can only be described as bold.

Here is Kojima vision of Silent Hill:

Here is Konami's ....

That's just better marketing, not something bold.

Like I said before, they used things that are pretty popular so far, "Amnesia like games" and Walking Dead. Zombies are pretty popular right now, they exploded into the mainstream, Walking Dead is really mainstream too.

Let me put it this way:

Being inspired by what's popular right now.

Taking a bold approach and doing something different.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:51 pm

I don't like siding with Konami since I think they are truly terrible at doing business in the gaming industry, but I can understand budget concerns when working with Kojima on two major consecutive projects. They might not want to sink as much money into his first foray into the horror genre if they don't know how well it would be received. It IS after all a huge gamble, regardless of how good P.T. was.

Slash the budget a bit, then see how well the game is received (which it would be), then if he wants to do another they would have historical evidence to give reason to raise the budget. At this point there is no evidence on how well a Kojima-backed horror game would perform, regardless of how it seems obvious it would perform very well.

I'll just have to take Konami's word that they are still discussing the project with both individuals. At the mercy of the abusive parent, you have to believe them when they say they won't chain you to the basement floor if you eat your vegetables. You believe what they say because you have to.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

residentevilo

Silent Hill Fan. Will fight my opinion.

Post by residentevilo on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Konami, nor Capcom, know what makes their franchises (Silent Hill/Resident Evil) what they were. Konami keeps trying, and failing. Capcom tried with Revelations 2 but as everyone knows, it only did moderately well.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:54 pm

They did show that they don't think SH is a moneymaker.

Lord Zachariah

Bara Man

Post by Lord Zachariah on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:05 pm

residentevilo wrote:Konami, nor Capcom, know what makes their franchises (Silent Hill/Resident Evil) what they were. Konami keeps trying, and failing. Capcom tried with Revelations 2 but as everyone knows, it only did moderately well.

Consider REmake is Capcom's best/fastest selling digital game and has broke a million and the fact that, while it didn't sell great(what we know of, I dont think they've revealed numbers) Revelations 2 was A HUGE step in the right direction and was exceptional compared to nearly every RE game since 4.
Heather is my spirit animal, and Alessa is my Stand.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:32 pm

Since Silent Hill gets ZERO marketing ..... I really would describe a marketing strategy like PT as being just "better".

How many other games have been "marketed" the same way ...... None .....

This approach was "something different".

So in essence this approach was something different for Silent Hill. Not to mention the fact that this is exactly what fans were looking for.

A solid gaming engine.
A proven developer.
Konami staying out of the way ( not anymore )

^ All that I have described above is new and bold and different from the regular status quo that we have all come to know to be what Silent Hill is today.

It takes money to make money Konami ..........

Next Fear

Night of Fire!

Post by Next Fear on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:47 pm

For those putting forward the idea that Reedus' involvement was solely to bring in Walking Dead fans, I think it's more likely that Kojima had seen his starring role in John Carpenter's excellent Cigarette Burns, where he stumbles through an increasingly nightmarish and surreal quest. I know it's the reason I got interested upon seeing his involvement in this... not Walking Dead.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:54 pm

^ Agreed, but I am sure Reedus being one of the most popular characters on one of the most popular shows on TV wouldn't hurt either .... ;)

Rhysan

Post by Rhysan on Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:56 pm

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions about the involvement of Reedus here. I doubt it was to attract Walking Dead fans. He's a good actor and Kojima and Del Toro knew this and so hired him. He has acted in things other than Walking Dead you know.

PreviousNext

Return to PT/Silent Hills