Discussion of PT and the canceled Silent Hills game.

Disrupticon

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Disrupticon on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 pm

I'd definitely agree that RE7 has some of the best characters and best characterizations the series has seen in quite some time, and I salute it for that. One aspect of the game I enjoyed wholeheartedly was how it could be legitimately funny one moment and completely unnerving the next, most certainly without undermining itself.

That scene at the dinner table with Margeurite losing her shit will forever be a favorite.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:29 am

The more I think about it the more similarities come to mind ...

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:59 am

Fungo made a pretty extensive RE7 review and he also covers some Silent Hill/SH2 similarities.

The more you think about it, the more the similarities seem to pop up.

This is worth a watch. Don't worry there's no nonsense Toilet Paper drama here. Fungo and his work is 100% severed from that crap now.

Thee are massive spoilers for the entire game though, so don't watch if you haven't played and don't want it spoiled.

There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:36 pm

Otherworld wrote:The more I think about it the more similarities come to mind ...

So... a girl struggling against a chain link fence vs. a girl sitting calmly in a jail cell?

You'll forgive me for feeling like you're reaching, I'm sure.

I'll have to give that video a watch later.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Disrupticon wrote:So... a girl struggling against a chain link fence vs. a girl sitting calmly in a jail cell?

You'll forgive me for feeling like you're reaching, I'm sure.

I'll have to give that video a watch later.

I was pretty sure posting this would be met with a reaction such as this. And it is warranted, if you choose to look at it in a certain light.

For me, there is just too many coincidences to overlook.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:11 pm

With all due respect...

I'm not saying there are no references to the Silent Hill series— the hand in the toilet bit being of particular note, occasional flashbacks to PT while playing, and being forced to stick your hand into someone's brain in order to retrieve a certain item very much calling the series to mind— but there are just as many homages to... say, The Blair Witch Project, Evil Dead, or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, among others— and that's all they are, passing homages.

Resident Evil contains none of the motifs or themes of surrealism, human thought made manifest through the environment, personal struggle, or urban dereliction that's become a mainstay in Silent Hill. Even at is grimiest, the Baker Estate and surrounding areas don't feel quite as dirty as the town of Silent Hill (with a few exceptions), its color palettes at times are much more subdued, almost inviting if you knew there wasn't a cannibalistic family occupying the place— with many areas a clear harkening back to the Spencer estate.

In other words, it feels much more like a classic Resident Evil*. A few scenes that without context can be stretched to vaguely resemble key scenes from the Silent Hill series doesn't make the case for me that this is a SH's successor.

I'll leave off with the note that it was a masterfully made game regardless, and stokes a small amount of hope that we'll see another Silent Hill title in the future- and if not, it still somewhat fills the void left by SH's cancellation.

*I say this not as an RE purist, I've played RE4 so many tens of times that I've grown somewhat tired of it, I thought RE5 was fun for what it was and wholeheartedly enjoyed it, and there were even segments of 6 I found agreeable.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:13 pm

I saw you mention the colors before.. Is this muted colors? I loved how it was used in RE3.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:08 am

Disrupticon wrote:With all due respect...

I'm not saying there are no references to the Silent Hill series— the hand in the toilet bit being of particular note, occasional flashbacks to PT while playing, and being forced to stick your hand into someone's brain in order to retrieve a certain item very much calling the series to mind— but there are just as many homages to... say, The Blair Witch Project, Evil Dead, or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, among others— and that's all they are, passing homages.

Agreed. I have always seen these 2 IP's in a completely different light so seeing the things that I see as far as the amount of SH in this RE title puts a little smile on my face.

Disrupticon wrote:Resident Evil contains none of the motifs or themes of surrealism, human thought made manifest through the environment, personal struggle, or urban dereliction that's become a mainstay in Silent Hill. Even at is grimiest, the Baker Estate and surrounding areas don't feel quite as dirty as the town of Silent Hill (with a few exceptions), its color palettes at times are much more subdued, almost inviting if you knew there wasn't a cannibalistic family occupying the place— with many areas a clear harkening back to the Spencer estate.

I disagree here, only in this instance, via this particular RE game. RE7. Not that I am implying that this is a SH successor. What I mean to say is..

REVEAL SPOILER
Eveline's longing for family defiantly has the motifs or themes of surrealism and human thought are manifested through the environment because of her personal struggle. "Family" One of the final files in the game even hints to it. It states that Eveline is making up for a lack of love when trying to create a family because of her quarantined upbringing.

Disrupticon wrote:In other words, it feels much more like a classic Resident Evil*. A few scenes that without context can be stretched to vaguely resemble key scenes from the Silent Hill series doesn't make the case for me that this is a SH's successor.

I'll leave off with the note that it was a masterfully made game regardless, and stokes a small amount of hope that we'll see another Silent Hill title in the future- and if not, it still somewhat fills the void left by SH's cancellation.

Yes, it does fee like an old school RE game for sure, and again I am not saying that this is a SH's successor. I guess I can attribute these different homages to SH in RE7 as filling some void that was left by SH's cancellation for sure.

Disrupticon wrote:*I say this not as an RE purist, I've played RE4 so many tens of times that I've grown somewhat tired of it, I thought RE5 was fun for what it was and wholeheartedly enjoyed it, and there were even segments of 6 I found agreeable.

^LOL. I have played all the RE games. I just did not enjoy 6. I just played RE4 and finished not to long ago.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:15 pm

^The motifs and themes regarding PERSON and the Baker family are what make this feel like a Silent Hill inspired story. There's a thematic depth to RE7 that is hard to find an equivalent to in the rest of the series.

But like mentioned above they expertly balanced this personal tale with the RE standard "bioweapons/evil laboratory experimentation".

Much like Silent Hill is known for for much of the series: a balance between standard kooky town stuff and the personal baggage of the characters involved.

I'm finding myself comparing RE7 more and more to how Sh4 and Downpour were written. The Ethan/Mia thread is pushed as the important one, but the deeper you get into it you find out the antagonists are the real focus of the story. Just as how Henry got wrapped up in Walter's story and Murphy got wrapped up in Anne's Story (ha), Ethan got wrapped up in the Baker fam story.

*EDIT*

Also worth noting their decision to make Ethan a passive and nearly non-existent protagonist, which mirrors how they handled Henry in SH4. Both protagonists seem to be written purposefully so that the player becomes the character.

C&Tsoftware

Developer

Post by C&Tsoftware on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:08 pm

When we presented our pitch to Konami in December they turned it down because they want to develop this franchise "in house", but they did praise our work.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:58 pm

C&Tsoftware wrote:When we presented our pitch to Konami in December they turned it down because they want to develop this franchise "in house", but they did praise our work.

Cool. But do you really believe Konami is developing anything as far as a console game is concerned when it comes to Silent Hill?

C&Tsoftware

Developer

Post by C&Tsoftware on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:35 pm

Otherworld wrote:
C&Tsoftware wrote:When we presented our pitch to Konami in December they turned it down because they want to develop this franchise "in house", but they did praise our work.

Cool. But do you really believe Konami is developing anything as far as a console game is concerned when it comes to Silent Hill?

Well, I guess they are developing Metal Gear Survive, so its possible.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:59 pm

C&Tsoftware wrote:
Otherworld wrote:

Well, I guess they are developing Metal Gear Survive, so its possible.

They are using preexisting assets for that Metal Gear. There are no next gen assets for Silent Hill.
Last edited by Otherworld on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 am.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:28 pm

^They might be developing in real secret (in a bunker maybe), but it is unlikely. Who is in charge, and who is working on it? I don't think there is qualified people left to make it from ground zero, since nothing new has been done. We have, like James, hope that it is still alive...

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:31 am

I got a letter.
The name on the envelope said ‘Silent Hill.’
My Game's name...
It’s ridiculous, couldn’t possibly be true...
That’s what I keep telling myself...
A dead franchise can’t write a letter.
Silent Hill died because of that damn company five years ago.
So then why am I looking for it?
Our ‘special place’...
What could it mean?
This whole town was our special place.
Does it mean the park on the lake?
We spent the whole day there.
Just the two of us, staring at the water.
Could Silent Hill really be there?
Is it really alive... waiting for me?

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:03 am

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:08 am

At least we're getting a Castlevania show on Netflix.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:58 am

devil hunter wrote:At least we're getting a Castlevania show on Netflix.

Is this an animated show ?

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 am

^^ It's animated and supposed to be hard R. For once I have a lot of confidence in something like this.

Here's an article

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/02/08/n ... ted-series

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:01 pm

I will be keeping an eye out for this, thanks.

PreviousNext

Return to PT/Silent Hills