Discussion of PT and the canceled Silent Hills game.

Cybil Bennett

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:40 am

Did anyone else notice the reference to P.T. in the Allison Road video?

And after watching many openings of people playing P.T. online, I have yet to see
anyone who realize the somewhat funny, and disgusting thing in the beginning.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:48 am

devil hunter wrote:And a surprising number of people hates the RE7 demo.

Capcom had to say how much different the final game will be from it just to calm people down.

Also, many games were influenced by Slender too, that doesn't mean Slender was that good. It was simply popular, so other games wanted to cash in onto its success.

I knew that all the P.T. marketing can backfire and I was correct it seems.

Take a look at the P.T. clones like Allison Road and Visage. Let me tell you what they're not. They're not Silent Hills, they're P.T.

People feel sad about the cancellation of Silent Hills, but it seems like a some of them think that Silent Hills would've been like P.T., which wouldn't be the case.

Visage isn't made in mind of what Silent Hlls could've been, but what P.T. is.

It takes influence from wrong sources and reasons. I believe more that the reason for that game's existence is how popular P.T. is, rather than how good it actually is. Sure, Visage differs from P.T. a lot more than Allison Road, but that's not saying much.

Silent Hills would've been a third person horror game which would have weapons, health items etc.

Which brings me back to what I wrote before, the reception some people had towards RE7 demo.

They say that RE7 demo is too much like Silent Hills. That's wrong, it's not like Silent Hills, it's taking influence from P.T.

There's some hypocrisy in statements from RE fans, they say how that demo doesn't remind them of RE. P.T. isn't really like SH but people loved it.

Like I said, Capcom had to say how the finished game will have weapons, health items etc. Fans are glad because of that.

Now, how would fans of P.T. react to the fact that the finished product isn't in third person, you can actually defend yourself, enemies can be killed, you can cure yourself etc.?

Would they think it's as scary as the jump scare filled first person horror gmae they expected?

Besides, if those games were influenced by P.T. because it was so good and they respected it so much they wouldn't try to resemble it as much as possible like that, there's a reason those games are called "P.T: clones".The developers know what people want, they know what happened to P.T. and Silent Hills, it's a prefect cash grab oppportunity.

And it works. It's a perfect way to garner interest, to make their own product popular.

If RE7 will be so different from the demo, why make a demo like that? Think about it...no, the answer isn't "because Silent Hills did the same thing (OK, it kind of is...ugh...you know what I mean).

The difference between the two is actually in PT's name. Teaser. It was not a demo.

We never knew what Silent Hills was going to be. PT was a brilliant marketing ploy, and pretty awesome teaser in and of itself.

What people are trying to do with these clones is to capitalize on the hype it created, as well as the fact that Konami just dropped it, adding even more drama to this story with the axe falling on Kojima as well.

Bottom line here, is the fact that regardless of who made the teaser, it was still a fantastic little game. Adding Silent Hill and Kojima and Del Toro and Konami to the mix was just fuel to the fire. But the fire was already there because the teaser was just that good.
Last edited by Otherworld on Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:51 pm.

Cybil Bennett

Post by Cybil Bennett on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:21 pm

‎‎‎‎
Last edited by Cybil Bennett on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:49 pm.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Cybil Bennett wrote:That wasn't it. It was something else.

Here's a little hint. You had to listen to everything the radio was saying
in P.T. to catch it in Allison Road!

I haven't the slightest clue ...

Cybil Bennett

Post by Cybil Bennett on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:48 pm

My error, you were replying back to D. Hunter, not me!

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:32 am

Cybil Bennett wrote:My error, you were replying back to D. Hunter, not me!

No worries, I should have made that clear in the first place.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:29 pm

Konami is making a shit load of money after walking away from AAA gaming.

I do not see any reason for them to make another Silent Hill game ...

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/abandoning-aaa-games-konamis-profits-soar/

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:44 pm

The reason to make a AAA game these days is passion for the job, not the money. But in the case of Konami, I think was executed the mediocrity plan of reducing the size of the Company to keep high profits - an extreme situation. I am not aware of a major financial problem, so the decision is about the money only, witch will never fit with making first quality product, and included the reduction of income too (income decreased but costs decreased more, so profits has increased). They also achieved the objective of making mobile games a high profitable division.

In comparison with another companies, I am very skeptical about the capability of Konami to keep high profits with continue
of losing revenues. Companies like Apple keep some lines of production (as PCs) because of the general marketing strategy, it's usually a bad idea just cut off what is not making profit. Capcom has already "stoled" SH franchise with RE7, Konami has lost this field.

Time will say!

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Maybe Konami can look at the success of RE7 and think maybe it's worth reviving Silent Hinsert laughing meme here.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:20 pm

jam6i wrote:Maybe Konami can look at the success of RE7 and think maybe it's worth reviving Silent Hinsert laughing meme here.

I keep thinking Konami is watching the success of RE7 and seriously contemplating a Silent Hill revival.

But they are too busy doing this.

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Yea I doubt Konami gives a shit. Especially after the new Metal Gear game flops.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Tabris wrote:Yea I doubt Konami gives a shit. Especially after the new Metal Gear game flops.

And especially as they don't seem to learn from their mistakes they keep staggering into! Who is in control?!!
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:36 am

Konami doesn't have to worry about AAA game development since they make so much money from all their other ventures. Making actual AAA games again would just bring them back to where they were before. They don't care.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:27 pm

At the very least Resident Evil is as good as it's ever been. I quite liked Revelations 2 and I'm finding 7 very agreeable so far.

Silent Hill had a good run if this is the end. Maybe somewhere down the line someone will create a sort of spiritual successor, but I don't see that in all the first person independently developed games we're seeing so far (I can't vouch for the quality of most of them, albeit).

If nothing else, hopefully Death Stranding will be a hit and at least we got that out of the deal.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:52 am

^ RE7 is the spiritual successor of Silent Hills. And the unique so far.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:08 pm

I beg to differ.

RE7 is a REmake successor if anything. Most of the games that came out in the wake of SH's cancellation were also ripping off PT, not Silent Hill- much in the way that most of the found footage films of the last decade were capitalizing off Paranormal Activity, rather than The Blair Witch Project or Cannibal Holocaust.

Which is another thing, I love the found footage angle to this game.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:55 pm

I said Silent Hills from PT, not original SH series. I am playing RE Remake and is different from RE7. RE is still THE zombie game, and RE7 is a mix of RE with SH, probably what Kojima and Del Toro had in mind.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:31 am

I've played through RE7 a few times and there isn't anything resembling Silent Hill in this game from what I've seen, save for a few monsters that look kind of weird (add your own sarcastic inflection as needed). Meanwhile, areas like the ship, the main house, the processing area, and the salt mines et al. are clear callbacks to Resident Evil 1 and 2, and even 4 to an extent.

Resident Evil 7 far more tonally consistent with REmake, to these eyes anyways, particularly in its color palettes.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Disrupticon wrote:I've played through RE7 a few times and there isn't anything resembling Silent Hill in this game from what I've seen, save for a few monsters that look kind of weird (add your own sarcastic inflection as needed). Meanwhile, areas like the ship, the main house, the processing area, and the salt mines et al. are clear callbacks to Resident Evil 1 and 2, and even 4 to an extent.

Resident Evil 7 far more tonally consistent with REmake, to these eyes anyways, particularly in its color palettes.

To me, there is a lot of SH2 going on in RE7.

The dilapidated look of the Baker's plantation really compares to the water damaged areas in SH2. A lot of characters are comparable as well.

Mary

Mia

Maria

Infected Mia

Lucas

Eddie

Zoe

Angela

Not to mention Ethan and James.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 pm

There are definitely some aspects of RE7 that feel like an homage to past SH gamees.

The thing that took me by surprise was the plot points regarding the Baker family and a certain antagonist (spoilers so won't name here) that came off as inspired by Silent Hill. It felt so refreshing for Resident Evil to actually have a dramatic arc that was grounded in the human emotion. Sure the plot gets heavy in secret bioweapon development; but the way it balanced that with this tragic tale of an innocent family was very similar in structure to a Silent Hill story that balances the craziness of the town with the personal stories of the various characters.

RE7 isn't just "bioweapon outbreak/escape/defeat the evil corporation" that the series is known for (even though that it part of the plot). It seems like they did take note of how Silent Hill is written.

In this sense, perhaps REhas picked up the ball that Konami dropped.

I'd love to see this dramatic writing continue for the future of the series.

Yet also RE7 is a pretty silly game at points. Unlike RE5 and RE6 and *very much* like RE1-4 and the other classics, RE7 is self-aware and doesn't take itself too seriously.

In my opinion, it's a classic RE game.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

PreviousNext

Return to PT/Silent Hills