Discussion of PT and the canceled Silent Hills game.
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by devil hunter on Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Cybil Bennett wrote:(I'm trying not to rip my hair out!!)
OK, when you finish the DEMO, what did you see in the end? > SILENT HILLS
P.T. was put into place to keep it a secret for what you was really playing until the end!
Heck, even the Company's name was fake (7780s Studio).


And they said that the finished game won't be like P.T.

Hell, when Capcom talks about the demo they released for Resident Evil 7, most of the time they mention how different the full game will be from it.

Cybil Bennett wrote:That was my point. Remember I also said "I wouldn't doubt that the next 1 will be outsource too."
If they're going to do it again, at least let it be by a TEAM that knows how to do it right!


Just because there's some Japanese developer that doesn't mean the game will turn out to be good.
 
 
 
 
 
 

jam6i

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2339

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by jam6i on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:08 pm

No no Devil I disagree.

See, whenever I hear a horror game is coming out, I rate it a ZERO (0) until I hear who is making it. When I hear he japanese name (or a name that sounds at least japanese-ish) then I boost the rating to a TEN (10).

I've only rated horror games made by people with japanese names lower than TEN (10) twice, both of those a NINE AND A HALF (9.5) because at the end of the day, it's all about who made it, regardless of whether or not it's good.

Japan=supreme quality.

I can't even believe people still don't know this.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
 
 
 
 
 

Tabris

Member

User avatar

Posts: 380

Joined: Aug 05, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Tabris on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:11 pm

jam6i wrote:No no Devil I disagree.

See, whenever I hear a horror game is coming out, I rate it a ZERO (0) until I hear who is making it. When I hear he japanese name (or a name that sounds at least japanese-ish) then I boost the rating to a TEN (10).

I've only rated horror games made by people with japanese names lower than TEN (10) twice, both of those a NINE AND A HALF (9.5) because at the end of the day, it's all about who made it, regardless of whether or not it's good.

Japan=supreme quality.

I can't even believe people still don't know this.


Seems legit
 
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:02 am

devil hunter wrote:Just because there's some Japanese developer that doesn't mean the game will turn out to be good.
Did I say that?

Tabris wrote:
jam6i wrote:Japan=supreme quality.

I can't even believe people still don't know this.
Seems legit

Nice, I'll take you both on a ride someday.
Image
 
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by devil hunter on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:44 am

Cybil Bennett wrote:Did I say that?



Cybil Bennett wrote:The only [Best] SILENT HILL games are 1 - 4! Everything else was good, or ok.
Why? Because 1 - 4 were Japanese created, and the others were Western made.


jam6i wrote:No no Devil I disagree.

See, whenever I hear a horror game is coming out, I rate it a ZERO (0) until I hear who is making it. When I hear he japanese name (or a name that sounds at least japanese-ish) then I boost the rating to a TEN (10).

I've only rated horror games made by people with japanese names lower than TEN (10) twice, both of those a NINE AND A HALF (9.5) because at the end of the day, it's all about who made it, regardless of whether or not it's good.

Japan=supreme quality.

I can't even believe people still don't know this.


Well, when you say it like that...
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6498

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:05 pm

Shattered Memories was a pretty good game ....
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Hence the reason I mention the creators of F.E.A.R. 2.
Cybil Bennett wrote:If they're going to do it again (meaning outsourcing), at least let it be by a TEAM
that knows how to do it right!
D. Hunter, do you not agree that 1 - 4 + P.T. were, and are [Best]?
Last edited by Cybil Bennett on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:25 pm.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Otherworld wrote:Shattered Memories was a pretty good game ....
Yeah, like I said above. The others were good, or ok. There was a few things I didn't
like about it.

Ex.

1. I didn't like the way they portrayed how Cheryl turned out.
(But I understand what they was trying to say.)

2. I defiantly HATED how they tried to remake how I look!

3. And I thought it was kind-of funny that the creators HUG you to Death!
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6498

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:00 pm

The were things i did not like either. The blatant psychological warnings and the exaggeration of what the game records you looking at or liking....
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:24 pm

Otherworld wrote:The were things i did not like either. The blatant psychological warnings and the exaggeration of what the game records you looking at or liking....

I was really happy that Lisa return, and you can change her outcome this time!
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6498

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Ya^, I just did not like getting tagged as something just because I am thorough while searching the environment.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Otherworld wrote:Ya^, I just did not like getting tagged as something just because I am thorough while searching the environment.

Agreed, but that causes you to replay it, and avoid those things the next time around.
Annoying, I know, but could there have been any other way they could have done it?
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6498

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:01 pm

But that yields fixed results ...

Image
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:14 pm

I kind-of liked it, because it brought something new to the series.
It determines what type of Ending you'll get. And also what type
of person you are?

Ex.
Are you someone who cares about people, or are you just a Perv?
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6498

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:33 pm

Playing the game through exploration should not label you as a pervert.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:23 pm

HA HA!
 
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by devil hunter on Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Cybil Bennett wrote:Hence the reason I mention the creators of F.E.A.R. 2


So? That has nothing to do with the previous post.




Cybil Bennett wrote: D. Hunter, do you not agree that 1 - 4 + P.T. were, and are [Best]?


Definitely not. Each have their own flaws and I like some more than the others.

P.T. is an overrated and a overglorified demo.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Naroon on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:07 pm

P.T. is an overrated and a overglorified demo.


Pretty much how I feel. I think much of the circlejerk came from people being wrapped up in moment and being very emotionally involved with the whole thing. Sure, the atmosphere was nice and it had Kojima's trademark ridiculous/absurd puzzles/secrets/self-reference shenanigans, but it wasn't some revolutionary thing like so many made it out to be.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6498

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:21 pm

Seeing as the Resident Evil 7 teaser has followed suit, I'd say that is proof enough as to how good PT really was.

For some reason, some were turned off by the hype it created when a polarizing figure like Kojima ended up at the helm. And I can understand why. But that takes nothing away from how good the teaser was.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery......

Image
Image
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by devil hunter on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:22 pm

And a surprising number of people hates the RE7 demo.

Capcom had to say how much different the final game will be from it just to calm people down.

Also, many games were influenced by Slender too, that doesn't mean Slender was that good. It was simply popular, so other games wanted to cash in onto its success.

I knew that all the P.T. marketing can backfire and I was correct it seems.

Take a look at the P.T. clones like Allison Road and Visage. Let me tell you what they're not. They're not Silent Hills, they're P.T.

People feel sad about the cancellation of Silent Hills, but it seems like a some of them think that Silent Hills would've been like P.T., which wouldn't be the case.

Visage isn't made in mind of what Silent Hlls could've been, but what P.T. is.

It takes influence from wrong sources and reasons. I believe more that the reason for that game's existence is how popular P.T. is, rather than how good it actually is. Sure, Visage differs from P.T. a lot more than Allison Road, but that's not saying much.

Silent Hills would've been a third person horror game which would have weapons, health items etc.

Which brings me back to what I wrote before, the reception some people had towards RE7 demo.

They say that RE7 demo is too much like Silent Hills. That's wrong, it's not like Silent Hills, it's taking influence from P.T.

There's some hypocrisy in statements from RE fans, they say how that demo doesn't remind them of RE. P.T. isn't really like SH but people loved it.

Like I said, Capcom had to say how the finished game will have weapons, health items etc. Fans are glad because of that.

Now, how would fans of P.T. react to the fact that the finished product isn't in third person, you can actually defend yourself, enemies can be killed, you can cure yourself etc.?

Would they think it's as scary as the jump scare filled first person horror gmae they expected?

Besides, if those games were influenced by P.T. because it was so good and they respected it so much they wouldn't try to resemble it as much as possible like that, there's a reason those games are called "P.T: clones".The developers know what people want, they know what happened to P.T. and Silent Hills, it's a prefect cash grab oppportunity.

And it works. It's a perfect way to garner interest, to make their own product popular.

If RE7 will be so different from the demo, why make a demo like that? Think about it...no, the answer isn't "because Silent Hills did the same thing (OK, it kind of is...ugh...you know what I mean).
 
 
 
 
PreviousNext


Return to PT/Silent Hills



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest