Discussion of PT and the canceled Silent Hills game.
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6647

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:01 am

^Yup, E3 will tell the tale....
Image
 
 
 
 
 

PinentidHead

Member

User avatar

An old Silent Hill fan old

Posts: 1960

Joined: Oct 03, 2011

Location: Brazil

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by PinentidHead on Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:52 pm

The P.T. is the exception that validates the rule, Konami lost the AAA team silent and were never capable to rebuild it. Tom Hullet and others did best efforts but the results were B games (good games but not top games) with poor or no relation with the original universe at all. Every new SH game was always the same, developers don't know the details of the story (or don't care), retcons or new theories, is not even the same town!

Konami is incapable to make a new AAA SH game, is a limitation of the company. Their HD version is worst than the hacked PC version! They just are not interested, and that's final.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Tabris

Member

User avatar

Posts: 392

Joined: Aug 05, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Tabris on Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:25 am

Otherworld wrote:^Yup, E3 will tell the tale....


I have a friend who went to E3. She said Konami didn't even show up.

So that's that sadly.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6647

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:31 am

Tabris wrote:
Otherworld wrote:^Yup, E3 will tell the tale....


I have a friend who went to E3. She said Konami didn't even show up.

So that's that sadly.


Why would they really .... they have nothing in development for consoles.

A sad day for Silent Hill ........
Image
 
 
 
 
 

clips7

Member

User avatar

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Posts: 2330

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United States

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by clips7 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:47 pm

Otherworld wrote:
Tabris wrote:
Otherworld wrote:^Yup, E3 will tell the tale....


I have a friend who went to E3. She said Konami didn't even show up.

So that's that sadly.


Why would they really .... they have nothing in development for consoles.

A sad day for Silent Hill ........



It truly is...think about it....look at how many clones that P.T. has spawned. P.T set the bar very high for current horror games....and now RE7 has jumped on the bandwagon...and even with that, what was the next RE7 game going to be like if P.T. didn't exist?...*here's a hint*...suplexing zombies and doing elbow drops on them and more zombies wielding machine guns....-_-....

The RE series went into radio silence after RE6 with spinoffs here and there mainly because i felt they didn't have a clue as to what to do with the series...P.T. gets the shaft and RE7 picks up the pieces...somewhat.

Yeah beating a dead horse, but Konami royally screwed this up...that game had the potential to set the bar and set the trend for the future of horror games.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6647

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:06 pm

There is an old saying, Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

When a franchise like RE does what it just did. It just shows us what Kojima did with a small little teaser for a new Silent Hill game released for free could do.

And how good it really was....
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Naroon on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:15 pm

I don't really think RE7 is super inspired by P.T. like many people on the net have been postulating. In fact I find it weird that at places like reddit, there are tons of people snidely suggesting that Resident Evil has decided to go in a Silent Hill direction even though it was repeatedly intonated by Kojima that P.T. wasn't what Silent Hills was gonna be like.

RE7 seems to be clearly designed around a VR experience, which is why the game is in first-person view. If you had to say RE was inspired by something, it'd be far more accurate to say it was inspired by other titles like Penumbra since you can at least defend yourself somewhat. P.T. itself is pretty overrated because it was literally just the same template as a bunch of other first-person view horror-themed walking simulators that preceded, with the only difference being that it contained a shit-load of clues and puzzles and had a few small SH-themed easter eggs/nods in it. I think it's a bit far-fetched to go with the idea that they literally saw the P.T. demo, played it, then immediately began developing RE7 afterwards. We don't even know what the final game is gonna be like yet (the demo is a tie-in to the final game but isn't a part of that game's events.)
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6647

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:59 am

Naroon wrote:I don't really think RE7 is super inspired by P.T. like many people on the net have been postulating. In fact I find it weird that at places like reddit, there are tons of people snidely suggesting that Resident Evil has decided to go in a Silent Hill direction even though it was repeatedly intonated by Kojima that P.T. wasn't what Silent Hills was gonna be like.

RE7 seems to be clearly designed around a VR experience, which is why the game is in first-person view. If you had to say RE was inspired by something, it'd be far more accurate to say it was inspired by other titles like Penumbra since you can at least defend yourself somewhat. P.T. itself is pretty overrated because it was literally just the same template as a bunch of other first-person view horror-themed walking simulators that preceded, with the only difference being that it contained a shit-load of clues and puzzles and had a few small SH-themed easter eggs/nods in it. I think it's a bit far-fetched to go with the idea that they literally saw the P.T. demo, played it, then immediately began developing RE7 afterwards. We don't even know what the final game is gonna be like yet (the demo is a tie-in to the final game but isn't a part of that game's events.)


It is blatantly obvious that this demo was created in the way it was because of PT's success. As I have played both and still own both I see how similar they are. Btw, PT was one of the first games mentioned by Sony in the same breath as project Morpheus or Sonys VR. It was specifically sighted as one the first games they wanted to bring to VR and then Konami happened. So, again, just another similarity. Just like this "this game has nothing to do with the final product" line. Again, from PT.

I really don't understand why the absolute undeniable success PT had would not translate into other publishers (which it certainly did as the list of games like PT grows) following suit in the wake of PT's success.

I mean, to suggest something else is not really accurate. With the way Konami killed it, it just added more hype to the teaser. If you play the RE teaser, comparing the way you start it to the way you end up dying if you make a mistake the similarities are completely undeniable. Plus the added fact that in this RE teaser there is a supernatural element to it, like PT, as RE is about a real life virus outbreak and nothing supernatural, it just brings them closer together. That's just the truth and has nothing to do with what I think of either teaser.

Which, btw, I am enjoying. I like this teaser released by Capcom. I have no problems with it at all. Other than the fact that I personally like to play games in the 3rd person.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Naroon on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:01 pm

The elements you listed are still tropes that already existed in these sorts of generic FPV horror games years before PT was even a thing, though. Some of the similarities are perfectly valid interpretations, but I still won't accept them as "proof" that Capcom were inspired into this by PT. The fact that the teaser has such a huge tone/genre shift and even has gone so far to supposedly introduce supernatural elements seems to me to be a deliberate impending swerve that Capcom are doing, where they'll reveal the "true" game later on (probably at Tokyo Game Show 2016) where it'll be revealed that a lot of what we saw was just a sort of joke or deliberate illusion.

Even one of the game's producers said recently that "there's more to it" when it comes to the supposed ghosts and whatnot, so while I'll concede that this demo certainly seems to have thematic similarities to PT (which is deliberate), I don't think much of this will translate to the final game. They're gonna pull a 180 and still do a "return to roots" style horror game, but it won't be like P.T. or any of the aforementioned generic FPV horror games or PT clones.

They surely HAD to be cognizant of the fact that fans would get super pissy over the ostensible introduction of supernatural elements so there is definitely some sort of swerve coming on. The only thing I dislike so far is the emphasis on VR, because that means the game will surely be FPV the whole time and won't be fast-paced at all (to prevent motion sickness.) Funny how I feel this way when two years ago I expressed my sentiments that I wouldn't mind SHs to be in FPV and would've loved to try such a game in VR. But SH =/= RE so I'm vindicated somewhat. Unlike most I had no problems whatsoever with RE5's and 6's actual gameplay, moreso the stories and enemies (RE6 was the far worse offender here, as RE5 is actually a pretty awesome game when played in co-op.)
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Borg on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Yeah, it was confirmed that the whole game will be in first person, they also said there won't be much ammo etc., like in REmake.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6647

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:44 pm

Naroon wrote:The elements you listed are still tropes that already existed in these sorts of generic FPV horror games years before PT was even a thing, though. Some of the similarities are perfectly valid interpretations, but I still won't accept them as "proof" that Capcom were inspired into this by PT. The fact that the teaser has such a huge tone/genre shift and even has gone so far to supposedly introduce supernatural elements seems to me to be a deliberate impending swerve that Capcom are doing, where they'll reveal the "true" game later on (probably at Tokyo Game Show 2016) where it'll be revealed that a lot of what we saw was just a sort of joke or deliberate illusion.


Agreed, elements I listed are still tropes that already existed in FPV horror games years before PT, but that is not the case in the main games of RE. These tropes have never been seen before in main RE games. That fact that the both teasers are cryptic in nature stems straight from PT. And the same way both teasers have/had nothing to do with the actual game. Add the fact that this is just a smart move from Capcom, (as it was for Kojima) I really do not see how these obvious comparisons can be over looked when it comes to the question of whether Capcom were inspired into this by PT. I mean, of course they were.

Naroon wrote:Even one of the game's producers said recently that "there's more to it" when it comes to the supposed ghosts and whatnot, so while I'll concede that this demo certainly seems to have thematic similarities to PT (which is deliberate), I don't think much of this will translate to the final game. They're gonna pull a 180 and still do a "return to roots" style horror game, but it won't be like P.T. or any of the aforementioned generic FPV horror games or PT clones.


Again, elements from PT weren't supposed to translate into the final game either. But I am sure hopeful that here is more to it as I hope RE 7 does not end up a generic FPV horror game or PT clone. I am hoping for an old school, 3rd person RE game. But I doubt we get something like that.... We will have to wait and see ....

Naroon wrote:They surely HAD to be cognizant of the fact that fans would get super pissy over the ostensible introduction of supernatural elements so there is definitely some sort of swerve coming on. The only thing I dislike so far is the emphasis on VR, because that means the game will surely be FPV the whole time and won't be fast-paced at all (to prevent motion sickness.) Funny how I feel this way when two years ago I expressed my sentiments that I wouldn't mind SHs to be in FPV and would've loved to try such a game in VR. But SH =/= RE so I'm vindicated somewhat. Unlike most I had no problems whatsoever with RE5's and 6's actual gameplay, moreso the stories and enemies (RE6 was the far worse offender here, as RE5 is actually a pretty awesome game when played in co-op.)


I just don't know where anything supernatural will fit correctly in this universe. That still does not take my enjoyment away from the teaser.

As far as VR is concerned, I really hope this is not the direction they take. RE5's game play was fine except ...

Image

But I agree, the stories and enemies were the real problem.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Borg on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:04 pm

Guys, I think it was confirmed the whole game will be played in first person. Things won't happen in a global scale like in 6, it will be dialed down and be simple like in the original. There also won't be a lot of ammo and protagonists will be normal people. I believe the developers said that the situation in RE7 will be too easy for people like Chris and Leon but not for new characters.


Also, the game won't require VR to be played.

As for the supernatural elements. They can be changed drastically in the actual game or be explained. Maybe it's some new mutation or maybe they'll introduce hallucinatory elements like one of the early versions of RE4.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Here's what I've always said for years.

The only [Best] SILENT HILL games are 1 - 4! Everything else was good, or ok.
Why? Because 1 - 4 were Japanese created, and the others were Western made.
(Western meaning Hemisphere, not Cowboy-ish.)

Then we finally get another great SH game after years of waiting, it get's Cancelled!!
I wouldn't doubt that the next 1 will be outsource too.

I've been saying for a long time now, they need to let the Team who created F.E.A.R. 2
make the next SH game. That game is the reason I quit playing games in the dark!
(Something Happen!!)
 
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Naroon on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:29 am

Then we finally get another great SH game after years of waiting, it get's Cancelled!!
I wouldn't doubt that the next 1 will be outsource too.


How can you say that Silent Hills was great when the only thing that ever materialized from it was a minute long pre-rendered video teaser of Norman Reedus walking through the streets?
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Oohfakanorus

Member

User avatar

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Posts: 2300

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United Kingdom

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Oohfakanorus on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:13 am

Imagine all the headaches when Motioncap Straggling comes out?
TeamSilent so wonderful they kept having people quit between games.
Because it does that to people. It's a shame we didn't see different developers have similar crisis in identity!
I'd rather have Silent Hill run into the ground, but it didn't even get to that point thanks to Konami's.
They could have been millionaires Rodney!
No results found for oohfakanorus.
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 am

Naroon wrote:
Then we finally get another great SH game after years of waiting, it get's Cancelled!!
I wouldn't doubt that the next 1 will be outsource too.


How can you say that Silent Hills was great when the only thing that ever materialized from it was a minute long pre-rendered video teaser of Norman Reedus walking through the streets?


That was just the ending when you finish the Demo.
WAIT! Did you not play it, or not seen a Playthrough of it online?
OH NO!! You spoiled it for yourself by seeing the ending 1st!
 
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5326

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Naroon on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:44 pm

o.o

P.T. wasn't Silent Hills though, it was just a teaser they made to show that they could do horror properly (at least in their eyes.)
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:55 pm

But in a interview Kojima, and 2 other Team Members clearly stated that
this was the direction the game was headed in. I don't know any other way
to interpreted that.

And now other developers are trying to copying them.

But I'll let you in on a (not so) little secret that I notice about P.T., that most
Hardcore Gamers may not know, or haven't realize!

If anyone want's to know.
REVEAL SPOILER
They didn't create that style of playing! It's been around for years.
They just took it to a [WHOLE] New Level! (Whether they know it, or not.)

Have you ever notice that when your in a store, there's a little stand somewhere
with really cheap P.C. games? I always refer to them as Pictures, Point & Click games.
The playing system is very similar to P.T., but without the HQ Graphics, and Horrifying
Terror!

That's why I said most Hardcore Gamers may not have notice, because we usually
overlook games like that, and head straight for the big brand sections. And now that a
big name company has used that style, we all want to use, and play it (I.E. Allison Road
Biohazard 7, and Visage
). How ironic.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Borg on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:13 am

P.T. wasn't original at all, you're right about that.

However, other games arent' copying Silent Hills. They're copying P.T.

People fell in love with P.T., not Silent Hills. The finished game would've been much different from P.T. and some people would be disappointed.


Some people complain about RE7 demo not feeling at all like RE. P.T. didn't feel like SH at all and people loved it. It's one big circle of hypocrisy.

Cybil Bennet wrote:I've been saying for a long time now, they need to let the Team who created F.E.A.R. 2
make the next SH game.


But accoridng to your logic, the best SH games were made by Japanese and Monolith Productions (the developers of F.E.A.R. 2) aren't Japanese.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Cybil Bennett

Member

Posts: 71

Joined: Jul 18, 2016

Konami will "continue to develop SH series" but SHs canceled

Post by Cybil Bennett on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:16 pm

devil hunter wrote:However, other games arent' copying Silent Hills. They're copying P.T.

People fell in love with P.T., not Silent Hills.
(I'm trying not to rip my hair out!!)
OK, when you finish the DEMO, what did you see in the end? > SILENT HILLS
P.T. was put into place to keep it a secret for what you was really playing until the end!
Heck, even the Company's name was fake (7780s Studio).

devil hunter wrote:But accoridng to your logic, the best SH games were made by Japanese and Monolith Productions (the developers of F.E.A.R. 2) aren't Japanese.
That was my point. Remember I also said "I wouldn't doubt that the next 1 will be outsource too."
If they're going to do it again, at least let it be by a TEAM that knows how to do it right!
 
 
 
 
PreviousNext


Return to PT/Silent Hills



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest