Discussion of PT and the canceled Silent Hills game.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

PT walkthrough, puzzle solutions, and story

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:21 pm

Pyramid_Heart wrote:Does anyone else but me consider the red hallway sequence to be this game's version of the Otherworld? A gradual subtle change like Sh2 had, which I miss.

I referred to them that way in the original post, yeah. I wasn't too keen on the eyeballs though, I thought they could've come up with something better, but whatever Still liked it.
ImageImageImage

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Pyramid_Heart wrote:So I think PT represents Silent Hill deconstructed. The puzzles, sounds, visuals, locations, and atmosphere are Silent Hill's core without any of the gimmicks attached. No game HUDS or status screens or scratchy maps or dramatic music or arrows pointing at stuff to pick up.

It's just you in the world. It's a vision closer to what the characters themselves experience, rather having it filtered through a video game interface.

I do hope they use this mechanic for some building interiors, but not all of them. Keep us guessing as to when we go to 'oppressive cam'.

Does anyone else but me consider the red hallway sequence to be this game's version of the Otherworld? A gradual subtle change like Sh2 had, which I miss.

I dunno...just seems like those jumpscare first person horror games to me. Even the story is kind of like them (anyone ever saw that Grey mod?).

Pyramid_Heart

Post by Pyramid_Heart on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm

It was definitely a satire of those games. Kojima saying they can do it better.

Silent Hill is 80% atmosphere and 20% 'boo scare'. You have to startle the audience a few times or they'll become comfortable with the atmosphere.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:32 pm

^^P.T. doesn't really work for the standard LP on youtube, because there is very little that's worthy of overreacting/screaming about.

Example: Markiplier did P.T. and holy christ was it annoying. He literally moaned and yelled and whined at every damn thing. It completely ruined the game. He was yelling at so much of it it was kind of painful to sit through. He either yelled/talked over all the radio transmissions and dialogue or simply ran past it. He didn't take even a second to pause and think about stuff. He just yelled and moaned. It was just awful. Which is sad because i generally can tolerate markiplier's yelling.

And then you've got people like Angry Joe who have built their reputation on credible gaming journalism and reviewing, so when he does P.T.:

It's just...it's different. It works. Joe isn't trying to impress an audience by pretending to be scared. He's playing a game and just enjoying it as it is.

There's a difference between playing a game and pretending like you are playing a game.

Like you said, P.T. Is a sort-of satire of the 1st person indie horror gaming genre. And i think that kind of went straight over the heads of a lot of the standard youtube let's players. They just saw P.T. as another cheap indie game.

Markiplier even began that video by saying Five Nights at Freddie's was the scariest game he's ever played. Yikes. Something is wrong with that sentence.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Pyramid_Heart

Post by Pyramid_Heart on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:00 pm

LPs/Facecams and all these fake "youtube celebrities" can chew on it for all I care. Beyond Nerd and Critic, it's just a bunch of annoying man-kids with no actual humor skills.

These people are just a bunch of annoying imitators chewing at the leftovers from ad revenue. It's sad.
Last edited by Pyramid_Heart on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:35 pm.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:28 pm

^That, pretty much. I don't watch LPs. If I want to see a game and can't play it myself or something, I'd rather watch a playthrough with no one talking over it.
ImageImageImage

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:44 pm

The only (and I mean only) LP channel i even like is Two Best Friends Play.

Matt and Pat are exactly like watching Mystery Science Theater 3000. Their back and forth banter mixed with gaming critique is the best ever. While they do occasionally carry serious full plays of games like Left Behind, they generally shy away from mainstream titles and go for either obscure/moderate releases or games that released years ago. Most of the time they play low quality games.

Pat himself has said they intentionally avoid good games that they really enjoy because they don't feel like they can offer much for commentary besides "this game is so good". Although they recently caved and did an RE4 play, and it was awesome (they also did an RE2 play awhile back and it was the greatest ever). And when they did an REmake play, it really sounded like Pat was going to jizz all over the furniture, he loves REmake so much.

I don't personally consider Matt and Pat (and Woolie and Liam) as the standard low-quality LP fare. Their channel reminds me so much of MST3K its bizarre.

Their Shitstorm 3 is coming up. I can't wait.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:47 am

jam6i wrote:The only (and I mean only) LP channel i even like is Two Best Friends Play.

Matt and Pat are exactly like watching Mystery Science Theater 3000. Their back and forth banter mixed with gaming critique is the best ever. While they do occasionally carry serious full plays of games like Left Behind, they generally shy away from mainstream titles and go for either obscure/moderate releases or games that released years ago. Most of the time they play low quality games.

Pat himself has said they intentionally avoid good games that they really enjoy because they don't feel like they can offer much for commentary besides "this game is so good". Although they recently caved and did an RE4 play, and it was awesome (they also did an RE2 play awhile back and it was the greatest ever). And when they did an REmake play, it really sounded like Pat was going to jizz all over the furniture, he loves REmake so much.

I don't personally consider Matt and Pat (and Woolie and Liam) as the standard low-quality LP fare. Their channel reminds me so much of MST3K its bizarre.

Their Shitstorm 3 is coming up. I can't wait.

Awesome! I love the Shitstorm series.

But seriously these guys are the only ones I would watch, and Patt has a genuine love for survival horror. At times they go a little over board but I have found myself laughing my ass off as they are pretty funny most of the time. If I am unable to play a game I watch their walkthrough as most of their opinions mirror my own.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 pm

So, this PT business...I've watched part of one walkthrough / let's play or whatever it called itself....is it worth me getting in a tizz about not having a PS4 to try it on? I'm aware it's only a playable promo thing and may not in any way resemble the final SIlent Hills product, but it's certainly a curiosity. Should I be getting angsty about not getting to play it? Is it as creepy as it seemed (I didn't watch much of the youtube vid as I didn't want to spoil anything)?

And if it IS unmissable, my next question is...who lives closest with a PS4 for me to pop round? :mrgreen:
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

The_MystWalker

Post by The_MystWalker on Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:11 am

About the "P.T."....remember the other name of the drug "white Claudia" extracted from a plant in the original SH....Yes, PTV....

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:54 pm

So this is still a mystery: at a certain point the color of the light's beam will change for seemingly no reason.

A user over at gamefaqs spotted what appeared to be text on the edge of the bathtub with the blue flashlight. There's some interesting discussion going on there. I can't read Japanese, but they say it's actually Japanese characters and are working to figure it out.

I bring it up because that could be a potential reason for the multicolored lights (red, blue, green, and yellow?). Maybe there is secret text scattered around that can only be seen through specific colors?

Gamefaqs thread here http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/827527-pt/69947724

Moss

Post by Moss on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:26 pm

The_MystWalker wrote:About the "P.T."....remember the other name of the drug "white Claudia" extracted from a plant in the original SH....Yes, PTV....

That's definitely supported with the mythos and it's be a nice extension of it. I thought it may represent 'Post-Traumatic' and it followed the theme of a man seemingly confined inside a house at which he brutally murdered his family.
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:42 am

It's playable teaser.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:59 am

P.T.

Playable Teaser

PTV

Drug from SH1

PTV

Silent Hill Homecoming

Silent Hill V

PT V

P.T. V

P.T. Silent Hill 5

Kojima-san, you sly dog you!

(Kidding?)

:?

Moss

Post by Moss on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:59 pm

jam6i wrote:P.T.

Playable Teaser

PTV

Drug from SH1

PTV

Silent Hill Homecoming

Silent Hill V

PT V

P.T. V

P.T. Silent Hill 5

Kojima-san, you sly dog you!

(Kidding?)

:?

Playable Teaser 5 or 'Version' would be perfectly logical and fit the exact nature of it. :)
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 am

After playing it again yesterday, I am quite sure that Kojima has included a tip of the hat to every single game entry in the franchise in an intelligent fashion.

Pyramid_Heart

Post by Pyramid_Heart on Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:31 pm

People have found more double meanings for "PT" dealing with trees and a bunch of stuff. It's all awesome.

When I first saw the flashlight changing colors, I immediately thought of Masque of the Red Death.

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:54 pm

hard to believe it, but it is true, this trailer/demo/teaser/PT(V) is already better then most of the games that came after Silent Hill 3. (OOOOOOOH TEAM SILENT PURIST ARGHHHHUURPLGGBBBBLARRGGGGH)
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:02 pm

^It's not hard to believe if one doesn't believe it.

reflect_eternal

Post by reflect_eternal on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:00 pm

I can't trigger the second baby laugh. I guess the easiest way to do it is with a mic.

PreviousNext

Return to PT/Silent Hills