id-daemon

Yet another way to export 3D models

Post by id-daemon on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 am

Sparagas wrote:Sorry for not understanding all coding jargon

It's not coding jargon, it's modelling terms. You can read some blender manuals about the basics of skeletal models. People can call this "rigging", "skinning" also. I'm not too good in this myself, because I'm no animator or modeller. As you can see in my videos, in blender, i choose "pose" mode, and then move, scale or rotate bones.

Johnny_Doe wrote:Will there be any video tutorial on getting a fully working model from start to finish?

I can do this maybe. But I hope someone here can make it themselves.

id-daemon

Post by id-daemon on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:17 pm

ilufir

Post by ilufir on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:21 pm

id-daemon wrote:

Plain amazing. Can't wait to see the new version with this stuff & UVs!

Johnny_Doe

Post by Johnny_Doe on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Looks awesome! I hope there will be some kind of a simple GUI for the program but not pushing anyway,

Sparagas

Post by Sparagas on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:57 pm

id-daemon wrote:

Unbelievable! We really would like to know, how animation is documented. It would save us time, for not needing to re-research again :)
Let's make SILENT HILL just PLAIN SCREAM

id-daemon

Post by id-daemon on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Here's the latest tool, with fully working animations: http://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?p=27200#p27200
And also a tutorial on how to use it:
I will now proceed with documenting the formats.

Johnny_Doe

Post by Johnny_Doe on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Thank you very much for saving us a lot of trouble, this tool is priceless.

Sparagas

Post by Sparagas on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 pm

id-daemon wrote:Here's the latest tool, with fully working animations: http://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?p=27200#p27200
REVEAL SPOILER

Yes! You get my respect points! Sorry for not being active for that often. Silent Hill extraction is now a thing. Can't believe it. And video tutorials with voice over is my favorite thing. Best quality release.
And documentation thing would be my dreams come true. I tried to document it also. You can look it [url=
viewtopic.php?f=3335&t=438104]here[/url]. Maybe it helps. I will update my post with your documentation.

Giromancy

Post by Giromancy on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:23 pm

id-daemon wrote:Here's the latest tool, with fully working animations: http://zenhax.com/viewtopic.php?p=27200#p27200

This is excellent! thanks. :)
I exported succesfully some models into Blender & Milkshape 3D, but i have a question, how did you managed to import the textures correctly into the 3d model?
I have no clue on how to import the textures in Blender, and in Milkshape 3D, the textures appear distorted, like they didnt have uv coordinates applied, is this correct?

HERO 3D Model imported into MilkShape 3D but with distorted textures:
==================================
Image Image Image

id-daemon

Post by id-daemon on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:18 am

Sparagas wrote:And video tutorials with voice over is my favorite thing. Best quality release.

Thanks ;) and you know, right after I published that, people told me that you can run command with 2 parameters without going to command prompt.

You have to select ANM, then ILM, then drag them both onto the tool. And that's it!

id-daemon

Post by id-daemon on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 am

Giromancy wrote:the textures appear distorted, like they didnt have uv coordinates applied, is this correct?

No, coordinates are applied. But you have to scale and/or shift them depending on editor you use.

From what i see, they tool only half on texture space, so prob. images are supposed to contain normal and damaged textures in one image. So you need to scale them 2x vertical. And maybe invert too.

ilufir

Post by ilufir on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:06 pm

id-daemon wrote:
Giromancy wrote:the textures appear distorted, like they didnt have uv coordinates applied, is this correct?

No, coordinates are applied. But you have to scale and/or shift them depending on editor you use.

From what i see, they tool only half on texture space, so prob. images are supposed to contain normal and damaged textures in one image. So you need to scale them 2x vertical. And maybe invert too.

Yes, had to deal with it when importing into 3ds max. If anyone wants - a little tutorial.
REVEAL SPOILER

BTW, made some stuff with the tool. Useless, but I like making this type of silly things.
REVEAL SPOILER

Giromancy

Post by Giromancy on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 pm

You were right guys, uv coordinates are there, just a little bit messed up, but nothing that can not be fixed. Thanks

Btw, im having some problems with FAT.ILM & ANM files in Blender, i can not get the animations to work.
Anyone with the same problem?
Image Image Image

id-daemon

Post by id-daemon on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Now about documenting. First about ILM files. If I'm not mistaking, you got it all, except the numbers in mesh header.

02NECK 01 3B 3B 01 00001148

the number in the name is number of animation bone - 02

no idea what are 01 & 01 around, but the numbers between them are initial shift for putting vertices and normals into their corresponding buffers. This is done for vertices sharing between parts.

In this neck example it means there are some vertices already in vertex buffer, and you have to put all neck vertices starting from 0x3B, so then in indices part, everything from 0 to 0x3A will be "old" vertices used from previous parts, and vertices 0x3B and higher will belong to the neck.

belek666

Post by belek666 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 am

I was planing to not work on my converter any more but I got bit curious about IPD files. Form what I found they contain group of models used for some parts of map. First part of ipd has object name list, then for each object there is position data (rotation matrix and translation vector) and some other unknown data (probably also collision). But not all used object are included into single IPD. They use also additional objects probably from PLM files. For to be sure current version of my app scan all PLM and IPD files also. To use it just drop IPD file (from BG folder, so program can scan rest of files) and you get OBJ, MTL and converted textures to TGA. I'm still not sure if I'm converting normals data correctly and if textures transparency is correct. Use at own risk.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hdyg62

Giromancy

Post by Giromancy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:22 pm

belek666 wrote:I was planing to not work on my converter any more but I got bit curious about IPD files. Form what I found they contain group of models used for some parts of map. First part of ipd has object name list, then for each object there is position data (rotation matrix and translation vector) and some other unknown data (probably also collision). But not all used object are included into single IPD. They use also additional objects probably from PLM files. For to be sure current version of my app scan all PLM and IPD files also. To use it just drop IPD file (from BG folder, so program can scan rest of files) and you get OBJ, MTL and converted textures to TGA. I'm still not sure if I'm converting normals data correctly and if textures transparency is correct. Use at own risk.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hdyg62

Wow, cant believe the progress that you made guys! we almost have a complete level viewer of SH. :o
It works excellent!, all the textures are exported with no problems, there are some blank textures in some models, but I guess it can be easily fixed.

Something i noticed is that all exported models are not complete, there is always a missing wall, floor, object etc, i tried to build a complete room or town section, but there is always a missing part and i cant finish to complete the model, idk why. I tried to export every file in order to see if i can find the missing parts, but with no success.

belek666, i hope you can continue working on this tool to improve it, is excellent.
Thanks to all who worked on this, you guys made a lot of progress.
Image Image Image

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:13 am

Really amazing to see how far some small discoveries have come in such a short time! Congratulations, friends. Belek666, could you please compile a 32-bit version if possible?

belek666

Post by belek666 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:39 am

@Giromancy

Maybe some group of models from IPD are reused and we need just find where is this defined.

Alessa'sRevenge wrote:Really amazing to see how far some small discoveries have come in such a short time! Congratulations, friends. Belek666, could you please compile a 32-bit version if possible?

No problem, here is it: https://www.sendspace.com/file/f9y6n0
With this version log file will be created so all information from console will be written to it.

Edit:
Each IPD file which containing map parts has file name in this format: NAMEXXYY.IPD I found that XX number is x axis index and YY is y axis index in hex format, signed byte (negative values start from 0xFF (-1) to 0x80 (-128); positive 0x01 - 0x7F ).

This is what I get by moving parts with index values:

Johnny_Doe

Post by Johnny_Doe on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Holy Alessa mother of god, it's happening! You guys are awesome, hope the town will be exported soon. :o

Sparagas

Post by Sparagas on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Sorry for such a long silence - was busy in real life and and working on some secret project. One forum member suggested me to learn programming, so I could write my own stuff... So I did.

I created Silent Hill Explorer

I know there are two creators already, but my program is to help them. This program doesn't show or export 3D objects (at least for now), but shows all known info of it. So you could see what file contains what. You can see it without hex editor and everything is converted to understandable human language, and displayed in the same order as in binary file.

You are doing such a fast progress, so I am releasing it as soon as possible. I need to work more on .IPD files and display all unknown info and hasn't time to update all your findings. Also I don't think I need to display every vertices, faces etc. just main info where to find it. It opens .IPD, .ILM and .PLM files.

Also working on this I made few new discoveries on files. I updated it in my Documentation post, but here are new findings:
Grey squares at the end of directory are one byte size list of meshes in that file. Counting starts from 0, and not always goes from lowest to biggest. Because chunk size can be only 4 bytes, so any remaining bytes are filled with zeroes and are ignored. Also looks like before that are the same size section filled with zeroes. Could it change to numbers in RAM?

Also find out what beginning of every mesh section first 4 bytes are:
Code: Select all
1st byte - number of polygons of this sub-mesh
2nd byte - number of vertices of this sub-mesh
3rd byte - number of unknown data in section 3 of this sub-mesh
4th byte - number of unknown data in section 4 of this sub-mesh

Yes there are 5 sections and not 4 (XY and Z are two sections) and last section is 0 in character models, but there are actual data in BG models. Also this is there reading byte size is calculated. You just need to to do this simple formula:
Polygons count x 20 bytes
XY Vertices count x 4 bytes
Z Vertices count x 2 bytes
First Unknown count x 4 bytes
Second Unknown count x 1 bytes

So 04040404 in FLAUROS.PLM means:
4 x 20 = 80 bytes
4 x 4 = 16 bytes
4 x 2 = 8 bytes
4 x 4 = 16 bytes
4 x 1 = 4 bytes

Also second chunk in .IPD files are offset to our familiar data. And Belek666 - you are doing what i already have partially done. Look in my Managed to crack something in game's 3D model files! about .IPD files. The first section contains placement coordinates etc.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill1 Modding