crewsjp8

Modding capabilities?

Post by crewsjp8 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Hey, sorry I haven't been trying to do anything with silent hill, iv'e been working on an animation project of my own.

Anyway, I have a question for you nostalgia hungry expert hackers and modders about not just silent hill modding, but for ps1 modding in general. What do you think we could be capable of? I think if you can make it you can mod it. We have come so far in terms of ps1 modding. There are plenty of ps1 games (including this one) that, I and you guys have changed to make it do what we want and was originally though of as impossible.

So, I have some questions that revolves around the main one!

1. Can we make it possible to change any single player game into two player or lan play? Ok, this one is a little over the top, considering you'd have to make it to where there is some sort of boundary each player has to stay in, so there is no chunk overloading but it may be possible for some games.

2.Can we recreate games using the original game's engine (a.k.a. extreme mods)? basically changing anything and bending the game to our will. This one is way out there but I think it is possible considering the fact that there are programs that allow you to create your own levels, extract/import models, and even rewrite code and scripts but these programs only for certain games and are hard to come by.

3. pretty much it unless I think of something else.

Anyways guys, hope I can get some answers. Don't stop modding! :medi:

PaulSilentin

Modding capabilities?

Post by PaulSilentin on Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:40 am

I think if you can make it you can mod it. We have come so far in terms of ps1 modding.

We can't do much without source code of the game. Source code can be reversed from final, but this was done only for 8-16 bit era games.
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/sou ... mes.48282/

single player game into two player

Most likely yes, but if you'll really know what you doing. You'll need to create a lot of researches to enable it, to understand how the game works. And you can waste a lot of time for nothing without any results. There is no easy way, it's really hard and useless most of the time.

recreate games using the original game's engine

No, without source code. Yes on Net Yaroze but with your own game engine.

This stuff require many skills like knowledge of low level programming languages, clear knowledge of PS1 hardware and its limits, also require the perfect understanding of assembler/disassembler and the memory edition. And much more, but you'll get my point.

Basically PS1 modding capabilities are:
  • ability to change/recreate any textures
  • ability to change/recreate text and languages
  • ability to change/recreate any video and audio streams (but not Music tracker/MIDI)
  • ability to swap any things inside if they are the same size or smaller of each other (3d models. etc.)
  • ability to edit the main game scripts/code, if you can find and understand it (this is the most deep)
For example the creation of the completely new in-game geometry is nearly impossible or require extreme skills to figure it out. One ukrainian guy actually did it with PS1 game Vigilante 8 (CharlesM with SH1 and some guys with RE 1-3 like MartinBiohazard user):
http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php/topic,33389.0.html

Actually you can use silent hill 1 content to recreate the game on your own engine, that works on PS1/Net Yaroze. It was done once with Final Fantasy.

if you want to learn more, then read this:
http://www.romhacking.net/start/

crewsjp8

Modding capabilities?

Post by crewsjp8 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks, all of this is very interesting. I'm planning on going back into modding ps1 games. :mrgreen:

PaulSilentin

Modding capabilities?

Post by PaulSilentin on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:04 am

almost forgot

Guy makes FFVII sequel that works on the original ps1 console. Day/night cycle, fully open world, work any job with any character. Final fantasy Skyrim

>Guy
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=471998

Return to Silent Hill1 Modding