CharlesM

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by CharlesM on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:10 am

I've been working on a tool to visualize the 3D models from Silent Hill. Currently it handles item models, individual background models, and I've added preliminary support for entire background maps. Here's a gallery showing some familiar locations in the game:

https://imgur.com/tpmV2JK,INtFN0p,HI8ew ... ,863yBat#0

Some of the geometry and positioning of items are incorrect, and some textures and transparency/colors aren't quite right as you can see on the crane model. But a lot of progress has been made so I wanted to share what has been done so far.

The end goal is to document the game's model format so data can be exported and imported. This would allow the original game to be modified, or to export the models and textures.

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:05 am

It's happening. :shock:

This is very exciting, and not something I expected to happen for a long, long while. I've also sent you an e-mail about your version of the Silent Hill extractor.

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by Alessa'sRevenge on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:13 am.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:53 am

Fabulous to see this!
ImageImageImage

Gauss

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Gauss on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:17 am

Super exciting!
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

PaulSilentin

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by PaulSilentin on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:34 am

CharlesM wrote:The end goal is to document the game's model format so data can be exported and imported. This would allow the original game to be modified, or to export the models and textures.

Like Resident Evil PS model importer? That's awesome! Can't wait public release. :)

Johnny_Doe

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Johnny_Doe on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:41 am

Saying I'm happy would be saying nothing at all. Keep it up, please.

Johnny_Doe

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Johnny_Doe on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Any updates? I'm eager to explore the locations

CharlesM

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by CharlesM on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:13 am

Johnny_Doe wrote:Any updates? I'm eager to explore the locations

Sure, here's a new set of photos. There are still some issues with missing or misplaced objects, but a lot more things are showing up correctly now, and textures, colors, and transparency have been greatly improved (see the crane for example).

https://imgur.com/a/l9grx

One of the rooms has very detailed gear models which was surprising, I don't think you ever see much of it in the game. The sewer uses a special texture function for the water, so it turns up as yellow for now. There are more missing objects showing up now, but some are still invisible.

I've been concentrating on getting the character (enemy and human) models to display correctly as they are in a unique format, and I've also been trying to figure out the cut-scene animation data. Hopefully in the next update I can show off these models once the last few issues are fixed. It's taken a lot of time but everything is coming together now.

About releasing the program, I'm not sure. I wrote a SH file extraction tool (open source) based on the research done by Horror_X and gave him full credit for that. Now he's updated his original tool with the same functionality that mine has, but with no credit in return. It's possible he independently developed this new functionality in parallel with my work, but none of these features existed until after I released my software first.

So I may have to release the model viewer as a closed-source program now if this is the kind of thing that will happen with my open-source releases. Regardless I will still publish all of the data and file format information as well, because I really want to help people with modding and edits/hacks of the game as much as possible.

My website is down currently but I've got a new one being prepared. In the interim if I do any releases, I'll put the files on Dropbox and share the links here.

Johnny_Doe

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Johnny_Doe on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:18 am

Finally some update, thank you a lot, I'm really glad your development is in progress. Please keep it up, I'm sure your tool will be of great use.

PaulSilentin

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by PaulSilentin on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:07 am

Nice to see progress with models and geometry!
---
CharlesM wrote:Now he's updated his original tool with the same functionality that mine has, but with no credit in return. It's possible he independently developed this new functionality in parallel with my work, but none of these features existed until after I released my software first.

Well, the same functionality does not mean code theft if the both tools are for the same subject. Also "thanks to" and "credits to" are not the same, i mean he may say thanks you (as motivation), but not to add as credit, if the software update is not based on your source code.

CharlesM wrote:So I may have to release the model viewer as a closed-source program now if this is the kind of thing that will happen with my open-source releases.

So, you're 100% sure, that your own code was used without credits? I'm just trying to clarify the situation, no offense.

---
I am speaking from a position of respect for each developer, who have done something to the SH modding scene. No need to create any conflicts/drama, because is only important the overall progress in development of the whole community in my opinion. Progress can be more impressive, when we work together.

CharlesM

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by CharlesM on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:52 pm

So, you're 100% sure, that your own code was used without credits? I'm just trying to clarify the situation, no offense
I don't really know, it just seemed odd. It's more likely that I misunderstood the situation.
In the end it probably does not matter much. :)

Johnny_Doe

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Johnny_Doe on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:24 am

Whatever that issue with code ownership is, we all pray for you to finish this. If that thing is capable of exporting locations and textures, that will surely be a step towards a good fan remake. I'm into modeling myself, so I will definitely try something.

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:04 am

Any updates on this? I've been dying to see some more. ;)

Johnny_Doe

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Johnny_Doe on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Same here, I keep waiting for updates. Hope the tool is still in development.

mikestuart

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by mikestuart on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:09 pm

Updates please we are just really exciting about this one.
We know what a gun and bullet does to a person's body, but we have no idea what a stun guns does.

Pieramid_Head

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Pieramid_Head on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:13 am

Really stellar work you got going on here, Charles. Can't wait to see more.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.

CharlesM

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by CharlesM on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:04 pm

I've made progress with extracting and parsing the character/enemy models in the game. Here are the new photos:

https://imgur.com/a/Bm1Fd

Some of the textures, palettes, and geometry is incorrect, but most of it looks good and produces recognizable characters. It took quite a lot of effort to get this done.

The parts are arranged in a grid for now, rather than being connected to each other correctly. Needless to say there's still more work to do. :)

EDIT: I forgot to include the models for Harry and Dahlia but they are both viewable. The other monster models still have some issues so there's not much to see. These are just the subset that look the best currently.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Really cool CharlesM! Thanks for the update!
ImageImageImage

PaulSilentin

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by PaulSilentin on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:47 am

CharlesM wrote:https://imgur.com/a/Bm1Fd
EDIT: I forgot to include the models for Harry and Dahlia but they are both viewable. The other monster models still have some issues so there's not much to see. These are just the subset that look the best currently.

That's great, i was always wanted to render/visualize those ILM models and have more info about them. But seems like you didn't read my posts about models? Here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=436557&p=7663822#p7663822
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=436557&p=7660653#p7660653
viewtopic.php?f=3335&t=436503&p=7664140#p7664140

https://github.com/SILENTpavel/SHresear ... %202014%5D
https://github.com/SILENTpavel/SHresear ... 014%5D.txt
Lisa (bloody). I can't find model data for the Nurse monster so I wonder if part of this model is reused for it.

\CHARA\PRS.ILM - Puppet Nurse (enemy)
From JACK.ILM, not sure where it is used. It isn't the dead body in the first alley or the straightjacketed bodies found throughout the game.

\CHARA\JACK.ILM - Romper (Hunter-like from RE, enemy)
Another version of the Cybil model. Not sure what's different here.

\CHARA\ICU.ILM - Cybil parasite (from the amusement park)
\CHARA\MSB.ILM - Puppet Cybil Bennett (Possessed version, enemy boss)
\CHARA\SIBYL.ILM - Cybil Bennet (normal version)
Alessa, with a different face. Given the size of the parts I think it's supposed to be her at a younger age.

\CHARA\AR.ILM - Alessa Gillespie (in teen age)
\CHARA\SRL.ILM - Cheryl Mason/Alessa Gillespie (in Harry's clothing)
\CHARA\TAR.ILM - Cheryl Mason/Alessa Gillespie (in Alessa school clothing)
From PRSD.ILM, it's the doctor monster from the Hospital. The two alternate heads don't seem to be used and have incorrect palettes.

It was different in the OPM16 demo:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=436557&p=7654094#p7654094
---
Can you visualize ILM models of OPM16 version of the Silent Hill, please? Would be very helpful, thanks. You can download them here:
https://github.com/SILENTpavel/SHresear ... 8%5D/CHARA

p.s. some info and textures was researched originally by Giromancy user and some others too.

Johnny_Doe

Silent Hill model viewer

Post by Johnny_Doe on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Thank you a lot for not giving up on this one. You're our hero)

Next

Return to Silent Hill1 Modding