PaulSilentin

PlayStation (SH) modding basics FAQ & Tutorial (UPD!)

Post by PaulSilentin on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 pm

NEW: Video tutorial!

Hello, i saw here that many people don't have information about playstation original romhacking basics. I can write some info about all traditional methods simplifying as possible, to help anyone who want to modify this game.

About first silent hill mod ever:
i'm almost sure, that really first mod was completely done by comercial russian hackers for internal russian bootleg market, it was done after several months from USA retail release, as i can remember. This mod is actually unofficial english - russian translation with a lot of errors and mad skillz stuff. Method for modding was - their own hacking tools and debugging hardware with soldering on real console and such advanced stuff. All the first modifications was based on replace: font texture, city textures, audio streams and in-game text bytes, they was replaced from english to russian language, i mean it was replaced BYTE TO BYTE - without rebuild of the iso, without codes, only HEX iso editing! This is was most basic and first mod ever, i think. (newer mods-translations was more advanced with rebuild iso and extended characters limits in game subtitles, but this is was a lot later then first one (like polish, brazilian and other translation projects))

proof scans and screens of this mods here, i can confirm this is 100% real, cos i was holding this in my own hands back in 1990's-2000's
ImageImageImageImage
audio modding proof: http://youtu.be/NA09ZA2zJkI

PlayStation games modifications main methods

1. Memory editing
Example: no$psx debugger/disassembler, Cheat Engine, ArtMoney, ect...

Good about this: It's pretty simple, it can be done by anyone (hacking bullets amount or medical kits amount). It's popular, there is a lot of youtube tutorials. It can be shared with anyone in simple text format, without files, patches and media files. It's can be used everywhere.
Bad about this: memory adresses can be dynamic, that means you can hack something, but you can't hold it hacked for a long time, or after reboot. Or you can't share this with other people (you can share only videos and screens). This is problem, but it can be solved. Only a few romhackers with a lot of experience can do the code, that will work for anyone, all the time, in any console and with any retail game. This people doing great cheats for GameShark, Xploder, ARMAX, CodeBreaker and more, codes listed here: http://gamehacking.org/

2. PlayStation common formats media/text files scanners/rippers
Example: PSound 2.0, tim2view r86, PSX VRAM viewer 1.0, PSmplay 0.4, TIMViewer, Jaeder Naub 2.14g, VGMToolbox, Dragon UnPACKer HyperRipper, several TMD, TIM, STR, XA, VAB scanners and rippers, such stuff...

Good about this: super easy, you just hit the scan button and extract files, then modify them, and after replace original with modded, like in tim2view r86 and in others.
Bad about this: MANY game files may be under heavy compression methods (some SH files too!), like zlib, custom .zip and other specific stuff, scanners in most can't work with compressed files and archives, so sometimes you will not find something, that you was looking for, but this will stay in game resources anyway until it will be unpacked (look method №3 down here). Also some games don't use common files like: TMD (PS 3d models), TIM (PS 2d textures), STR (PS stream video), XA (PS stream audio), VAB (sounds) - so you will find nothing again without unpacking archives.

3. Editing the actual game files physically /rebuild /*.PPF patches
This is not easiest, but most correct method, you will see game files in their original formats and folders/files direct native locations. Let's write step by step how it's goes usually with Silent Hill game:

• 1. Create game iso file from your own retail Silent Hill game to your PC HDD. (don't use iso, mdf, mdx formats)
  • 2. Download already created hacking tools for SH by russian translators: http://forum.xentax.com/blog/?p=905
  • 3. Extract all files from your ISO in root of your main HDD partition, in C:/sh/ with Deamon Tools Lite, windows explorer or with CDmage tool.

Attention: this tutorial for EUROPE retail release of Silent Hill, that had Sony ID: SLES-01514, NOT USA release, i don't know how to work with USA retail version in this tutorial with this tools (you may mod this/create your own unpacker tool for any other versions, it's possible, you can find source code of unpacker). Actually you can unpack "SILENT" archive from USA release WITH EUR "SLES_015.14" file, but i don't recommend to do this, some extracted files may be corrupted with this method or maybe not all of them.
    ---
  • 4. extract silent hill tools archive, place file "SHFilesExtractor.exe" in path C:/sh/
    Your folder must be like:
    Code: Select all
    SYSTEM.CNF
    SLES_015.14
    SILENT
    SHFilesExtractor.exe
    HILL
  • 5. Run Windows Command Prompt, then write in this:
    cd c:/sh
    SHFilesExtractor SLES_015.14 SILENT c:/sh/ex

Now you will see extraction process, wait until it will say "done", then close the Command Prompt.
  • 6. open you new "ex" folder with extracted game resources, you will see folders and files. Write search tag in windows 7 search tool (upper right of window) with ".TIM" and you will see 1043 amout of 2d textures from game. To open TIM you can use tim2view r86 or "OPTPiX iMageStudio for PS2" with full TIM support.
  • Write search tag in windows 7 search tool with ".VAB" and you will see sfx sounds from in-game track music, can be opened with PSound 2.0 tool. Track music cannot be converted in PSF right now (all track music complete soundtracks you saw earlier was recording from emulator, not hacking silent hill konami track music driver), more info here: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10793 or here: http://www.zophar.net/music/psf.html
  • Write search tag in windows 7 search tool with ".TMD" and you will see some part of 3d models (not all 3d models in this format!), you can open SOME of them with MilkShape 3D 1.8.4 and TMD plugin. More info here: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10812
  • Write search tag in windows 7 search tool with "BODYPROG.BIN" this is file with in-game text, and guess what? This file is encrypted. Place "SHDcdr.exe" from SH tools to new folder together with "BODYPROG.BIN" then drag'n'drop one to another, nothing will happend (will open and close small black window), but file will be decrypted in one moment. Open decrypted file in HEX editor and scroll down, you will see in-game text, here is visual explanation for this process for better understanding:

It's not complete list of Silent Hill's resource native formats, but this is basic information, i will find more files and i will report results later. Archive "HILL" contains several stream media formats like STR video and audio stuff, you can use scanners/rippers for it. Also actually there is a lot of information inside of "SLES_015.14" file too, but i don't know how to modify this file in correct way, some people can do amazing things with it.

Replacing/actual modding guide:
Well, you can modify extracted files right now, but you can't directly rebuild "SILENT" archive with this tools. So you will need HEX editor or your own rebuild tools (you can try to create QuickBMS script with rebuild for example, compare to the sh tools source code http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm). My choise is HEX editing of "SILENT" archive with BYTE TO BYTE method or BYTE PLUS ZEROS. After replacement inside of "SILENT" archive in HEX, you can replace SILENT archive in iso with CDmage "import file" function without rebuild if new file in same size (unpacking archive from unpacked iso similiar to russian Matryoshka doll, if this way easiest to understand).
I will write more details about HEX modding later, maybe will be a video tutorial. There is another methods of modding PS games, i will write about it later. Also some files STILL COMPRESSED after "SILENT" archive extraction process, you can decrypt some of them with "SHDcdr.exe" tool. I know how to rebuild PlayStation ISO with file replacement style "modded file bigger then original file", but it's useless without "SILENT" archive rebuilder tool. Down here is result of my mod, i was replaced knife model with "alessa room knife" from "nowhere" - it's works.

How to create/work with .PPF patches:
The "Create PPF" tool compares the "original image" and the "hack image" of a game or any other type of image, and make a PPF file with the differences to apply to the original image. Nothing more, just useful method for sharing your mods in the net with others in simple way. You can find many PPF tutorials and patches for Resident Evil series or you can convert memory codes to PPF someway (it's another cool story).

That's all for today, feel free to correct me, my english is not perfect and my knowledge of technical stuff too, i can be wrong with some of my words and my suggestions in this thread. Correct me, if you know something more then me. Also i can provide anyone with public domain hacking tools, useful links and tutorials (about ps1 emulators too, i know how to turn on true widescreen in SH), feel free to ask such things. Will be updates later. Thanks.
Last edited by PaulSilentin on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:45 pm.

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:50 am

I know I've said this before in other threads but, Great work! I'm glad that people are taking an interest in modding this old game, It's about time some new life was breathed back into it. :)

I wasn't aware of any Russian Silent Hill bootlegs, though I know there are some for other PlayStation games, It proves how much can be done with hex editing alone!

As far as I know about memory editing and dynamic values, someone needs only to write a trainer to stop the values from changing.

When I get the time, I will try out your method of replacing files via hex editing but hopefully we'll eventually have the tools to automate that process.

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:43 pm

PaulSilentin wrote:I will write more details about HEX modding later, maybe will be a video tutorial.

Done! Here is video tutorial. It will show how to swap things inside of SH resources by using HEX editor without memory codes and other unstable stuff. This mods will work always in real console ps1/ps2/psp/ps3 cfw, android mobile emulators and on all other stuff too, 100% stable, no freezes, no broken isos. Tools pack download available in description of video. Feel free to ask anything about this.

Another fun stuff you can see on pics, that was done by me with this method. In next videos i will show how to edit cut-scenes and scripts stuff.

Last edited by PaulSilentin on Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:18 am.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:11 pm

It would be fantastic if someone took all the cutscenes and replaced every non-Harry character with Harry Mason.

Imagine the boathouse scene....Harry talksto Harry about finding Harry, and then Harry walks in and talks about darkness to Harry and Harry, and Harry leaves, and then Harry leaves to the park, and then Harry leaves to the lighthouse.

Harrys everywhere.

Please make this!
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:28 am

jam6i wrote:It would be fantastic if someone took all the cutscenes and replaced every non-Harry character with Harry Mason.

Imagine the boathouse scene....Harry talksto Harry about finding Harry, and then Harry walks in and talks about darkness to Harry and Harry, and Harry leaves, and then Harry leaves to the park, and then Harry leaves to the lighthouse.

Harrys everywhere.

Please make this!

Now that'd be a....Harry situation.

eh? eh?

I'll see myself out.

Alex Townshend

Post by Alex Townshend on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:46 am

Wow, this is amazing! I'd love to play Cybil or Lisa. :D

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:30 am

Alessa'sRevenge wrote:As far as I know about memory editing and dynamic values, someone needs only to write a trainer to stop the values from changing.

Anyway my goal is - set this modification to work on real console, without any other applications like trainers, that's why memory editing is not perfect.

jam6i wrote:Harrys everywhere. Please make this!

"SILENT" archive modding is extremely LIMITED, there is some reasons for that. In simple words: i can't replace all humans with Harry model because of MODEL SIZE, that Harry have more polygons, than in others characters models, also he have more size in bytes. I have done simple "compatibility table" it will show what models you can replace and what not. Some models have different skeletons and animation incompatibility between models, that can generate glitches.

Alex Townshend wrote:Wow, this is amazing! I'd love to play Cybil or Lisa. :D

Yeah you can, but there's glitсhes will happen. Cause Sybil have different proportions then Harry, you will see distorted head and other distorted stuff on screens. Another pic here, look:

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:27 pm

I tried to replace Harry with Alessa but her model has a larger file size. The result was that the player model was invisible and the controls were really weird.

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:00 am

Better to replace Alessa to semi-similar model like Sybil, this will go like:
SIBYL      AR
TIM: 16896   16896   = draw
ILM: 14848   15104   = 256 cut off the AR.ILM file

SIBYL TIM HEX offset in SILENT archive is: 2D80000
SIBYL ILM HEX offset in SILENT archive is: 2D7C000
Alessa'sRevenge wrote:I tried to replace Harry with Alessa but her model has a larger file size. The result was that the player model was invisible and the controls were really weird.

Well, there is two rules:
1. don't try to replace bigger then original (you still can, but don't - this is randomly bad or fatal for game stability)
2. don't try to replace models with different sceletons (cause of extreme ugly glitches, look on my compatibility table, that located upper in the thread)

but if you REALLY want to see that... anyway, so alright, lol, I warned you:
Ugly and wierd, yea. Anyway how to do that without crashing the game and model flicking:

• We will replace HERO .ILM model and .TIM texture with "AR" one.
  • AR.TIM smaller then HERO.TIM, so calculate difference and add NULLS in AR.TIM, this is directly 8192 bytes to add, do this. Then replace modded version of AR.TIM with fixed byte size inside of "SILENT" archive directly on offset 2D14800 (hex, HxD: Search->goto...) with Overwrite mode.
  • With .ILM will be tricky. AR.ILM bigger then HERO.ILM directly with 512 bytes - cut this 512 byte off the AR.ILM file FROM THE END, do this (select bytes from the end of the file and press delete button in HxD). This will cut off Alessa's leg lol, but it needed to be done.
  • AR.ILM now coincides with the size of HERO.ILM, but don't try to replace model right now! You need to modify internal model name and end of the file from original HERO.ILM to modded AR.ILM file, here is pic what bytes needed to be replaced directly with Overwrite mode, do this.
  • Finally you can replace modded versions of AR.ILM with fixed byte size inside of "SILENT" archive directly on offset 2D10800 (hex) with Overwrite mode.
  • Open CDmage, open EUR SH ISO version, select "SILENT" archive and activate "import file" function, replace with modified one before, your done.

Roden

Post by Roden on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Great work on this, it looks awesome!

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:13 pm

Dude, thank you so much. I appreciate that some people are willing to go out of their way to do this. Also, sorry I haven't been on lately, I've been stuck with inernet thats only on my phone, so it's been a little hard doing things. But I've been waiting for this, thanks man.
EDIT: Can you provide a download link to that European version you were talking about. Also, xantax wants me to pay money to make an account, and without an account I can't download, so if you can, could you re-upload the files that were on xantax to a different website, like mediafire, or something... If you can.
One more thing, is the maximum chunk space 64kb? Or is that just crash bandicoot?

MartinBiohazard

Post by MartinBiohazard on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi, first at all, congratulations for the great work with all this tutorials and useful info about SH1 modding! thank to you and some other users here, I have decided to enter into the SH1 modding scene. :)

Now, I just want to report something strange about the two available SH1 extractors; SHFilesExtractor.exe and shx.exe. What I mean is when you extract the SILENT file with both extractors (in this case I'm using the SLES_015.14 PAL version) and after you compare the files from CHARA folder, for example the HERO.ILM and HERO.TIM (Harry Mason) files, they are different in size, to be more extact, looks like the extracted ones with SHFilesExtractor.exe missing a few of data at the end of files, here a comparation I did with my hex editor:

Here HERO.ILM extracted with SHFilesExtractor.exe:
http://i.imgur.com/ypdRTeS.png

And here HERO.ILM extracted with shx.exe:
http://i.imgur.com/9qeLINL.png

I'm not 100% sure but maybe SHFilesExtractor.exe extract SILENT data incorrectly and shx.exe do it correctly?

Well, I just want to report it so you (the expert ones) can confirm me this.

Greetings and keep up the amazing work here PaulSilentin! ;)

EDIT:

After study in depth the files, I have come to the conclusion that the extracted files with both extractors, are not extracted correctly (no offense intended), the files are extracted along with DUMMY data in the end of each one of them.

Check this out, here I show you an example with the files HERO.ILM and HERO.TIM:
http://i.imgur.com/qrv2ogS.png

If you pay attention, that DUMMY data wich I'm talking is nothing more nor less than part of the same file that is used in game only to complete the sectors of disc.

Is very important to know how much DUMMY data each file have, so you can calcule how much free space you have to replace files.

I just wanted to clear that up, so there is not some kind of confusion. ;)

Johnny_Doe

Post by Johnny_Doe on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:13 am

What about changing the model and adjusting it with the values mentioned here? Sorry if it was already discussed
REVEAL SPOILER
http://silenthillcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=3335&t=436353&start=10

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:58 am

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:13 am

jam6i wrote:It would be fantastic if someone took all the cutscenes and replaced every non-Harry character with Harry Mason.
Harrys everywhere.
Please make this!
I was thinking about this for a while. This replacement might be as global test to the game engine. And here is the result:

As you can see in the end of the video - there are many corruptions of polygons and textures. That's because of models, that i have replaced - have very different sizes, animation and skeletons (example: Twinfeeler got many hands and harry mason not so many. Cybil Bennet got pistol right into her model and others not. This is may generate glitches and conflicts.). That all takes us back, but with new info.

Under the spoilers is CHARA folder content information. This is ONLY for retail USA SLUS-00707 version of the game. ONLY for "SILENT" archive, that was obtained only with CDmage tool. This is not correct for any other methods and files because of specific hexadecimal offsets. Files size in bytes is correct only for SH Extractor 1.1, not for any other.

REVEAL SPOILER: CHARA ILM models list
hexadecimal offset - name & extension - size in bytes

2C88800    AR.ILM         15 104   
2C91000    BAR.ILM         12 032   
2C98800    BD2.ILM         5 376   
2C9C800    BFLU.ILM      3 328   
2C9F000    BIG.ILM         15 104   
2CA7800    BIRD.ILM      4 864   
2CA9000    BLISA.ILM      14 848   
2CBD000    BOS.ILM         12 288   
2CB1800    BOS2.ILM      3 840   
2CC0800    BTFY.ILM      4 608   
2CC4800    CAT.ILM         6 656   
2CC9000    CKN.ILM         11 264   
2CCE800    CLD1.ILM      3 840   
2CD2000    CLD2.ILM      6 144   
2CD6000    CLD3.ILM      6 144   
2CDA000    CLD4.ILM      6 144   
2CDE000    COC.ILM         4 608   
2CE2000    DARIA.ILM      13 824   
2CEA000    DEAD.ILM      6 144   
2CF0000    DG2.ILM         5 888   
2CF4000    DOB.ILM         8 960   
2CFB000    DOC.ILM         8 704   
2D02000    DOG.ILM         5 376   
2D06800      EI.ILM         3 584   
2D07800    FAT.ILM         13 312   
2D0D800    FRG.ILM         4 096   
2D11000    HERO.ILM      14 592
2D1B800    ICU.ILM         3 328   
2D1F000    JACK.ILM      5 888   
2D23000    KAU.ILM         15 872   
2D2B800    LISA.ILM      14 848   
2D34000    LITL.ILM      3 840   
2D37800    MAN.ILM         7 936   
2D39800    MAR.ILM         12 032   
2D41000    MKY.ILM         4 352   
2D4D800    MSB.ILM         14 848   
2D56000    MTH.ILM         14 336   
2D59800    OST.ILM         4 096   
2D69800    PRS.ILM         16 128   
2D5D000    PRSD.ILM      15 616   
2D78800    ROD.ILM         5 376   
2D7C800    SIBYL.ILM      14 848   
2D85000    SLT.ILM         4 864   
2D89000    SNK.ILM         4 096   
2D8C800    SRL.ILM         13 824   
2D94800    TAR.ILM         14 336   
2D9C800    TDRA.ILM      11 520   
2DA6800    WRM.ILM         13 824   
REVEAL SPOILER: CHARA TIM texture list
hexadecimal offset - name & extension - size in bytes

2C8C800    AR.TIM      16 896   
2C94000    BAR.TIM      16 896   
2C9A000    BD2.TIM      8 448   
2C9D800    BFLU.TIM   4 352   
2CA3000    BIG.TIM      16 640   
2CAD000    BLISA.TIM   16 896   
2CBE000    BOS.TIM      33 024   
2CB4800    BOS2.TIM   9 472   
2CC2000    BTFY.TIM   8 448   
2CC6800    CAT.TIM      8 448   
2CCC000    CKN.TIM      8 448   
2CCF800    CLD1.TIM   8 448   
2CD3800    CLD2.TIM   8 448   
2CD7800    CLD3.TIM   8 448   
2CDB800    CLD4.TIM   8 448   
2CDF800    COC.TIM      8 448   
2CE5800    DARIA.TIM   16 896   
2CEB800    DEAD.TIM   16 640   
2CF1800    DG2.TIM      8 448   
2CF6800    DOB.TIM      16 640   
2CFD800    DOC.TIM      16 640   
2D03800    DOG.TIM      8 448   
2D0B000    FAT.TIM      8 448   
2D0E800    FRG.TIM      8 448
2D15000      HERO.TIM   25 088
2D1C800      ICU.TIM      8 448   
2D20800      JACK.TIM   8 448   
2D27000      KAU.TIM      16 896   
2D2F800      LISA.TIM   16 896   
2D35000      LITL.TIM   8 448   
2D3C800      MAR.TIM      16 896   
2D42800      MKY.TIM      8 448   
2D45000      MOTH.TIM   33 024   
2D51800      MSB.TIM      16 896   
2D5A800      OST.TIM      8 448   
2D6D800      PRS.TIM      34 560   
2D61000      PRSD.TIM   33 280   
2D76000      REBIRD.TIM   8 448   
2D7A000      ROD.TIM      8 448   
2D80800      SIBYL.TIM   16 896   
2D86800      SLT.TIM      8 448   
2D8A000      SNK.TIM      8 448   
2D90000      SRL.TIM      16 896   
2D98000      TAR.TIM      16 896   
2D9F800      TDRA.TIM   16 896   
2DA4000      WORM.TIM   8 448   

^ hexadecimal offsets will help you to replace models right into correct address of the file with HEX editor, you will not need to search it by yourself as before.

And about model replacement. Here is groups of models , based on its size in bytes. This may help with replacing. If the sizes in bytes is the identical between models it's not always mean they are with same, but anyway it's better to know.

REVEAL SPOILER: CHARA models groups by size
BLISA.ILM 14848
LISA.ILM 14848
MSB.ILM 14848
SIBYL.ILM 14848

CLD2.ILM 6144
CLD3.ILM 6144
CLD4.ILM 6144
DEAD.ILM 6144

BOS2.ILM 3840
CLD1.ILM 3840
LITL.ILM 3840

BD2.ILM 5376
DOG.ILM 5376
ROD.ILM 5376

DARIA.ILM 13824
SRL.ILM 13824
WRM.ILM 13824

FRG.ILM 4096
OST.ILM 4096
SNK.ILM 4096

AR.ILM 15104
BIG.ILM 15104

BAR.ILM 12032
MAR.ILM 12032

BFLU.ILM 3328
ICU.ILM 3328

BIRD.ILM 4864
SLT.ILM 4864

BTFY.ILM 4608
COC.ILM 4608

DG2.ILM 5888
JACK.ILM 5888

MTH.ILM 14336
TAR.ILM 14336

BOS.ILM 12288
CAT.ILM 6656
CKN.ILM 11264
DOB.ILM 8960
DOC.ILM 8704
EI.ILM 3584
FAT.ILM 13312
KAU.ILM 15872
MAN.ILM 7936
MKY.ILM 4352
PRS.ILM 16128
PRSD.ILM 15616
TDRA.ILM 11520

https://github.com/SILENTpavel/SHresear ... 014%5D.txt
https://github.com/SILENTpavel/SHresear ... %202014%5D
Last edited by PaulSilentin on Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:31 am.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:24 pm

Lmfao that's awesome. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I suggested this back then, thinking that it was so absurd it would never get done.

Cloned and headless Harry at the Cybil fight is creepy.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Return to Silent Hill1 Modding