Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

How can I get a "CamHack", or Free camera movement for SH1?

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun May 04, 2014 7:55 am

You might have to extract it from the ISO, replace the .TIM and then rebuild the ISO again. There should also be a way to hex edit the files back into the SILENT archive, though I don't remember where I read that.

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 8:07 am

Alessa'sRevenge wrote:You might have to extract it from the ISO, replace the .TIM and then rebuild the ISO again. There should also be a way to hex edit the files back into the SILENT archive, though I don't remember where I read that.

Damn, the only experience I have with hex editing is a program called, "Cheat Engine", and I hardly remember how to use it. I don't really like texture editing with PS1 games but i really want some sort of texture pack from anyone, I hope you can manage to make one that would be great. Anyway, that video I made is done and uploaded to YouTube, i'll make a topic about it in a minute.

Dchaps

Post by Dchaps on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:06 am

I've managed to move the camera up and down slightly through memory editing in cheat engine
It wouldent be to hard to write an external program that read/writes to the memory address where the cam values are stored

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7KNa0VShg4

something like this (but this i did for a different game)

i imagine you could pull the same thing off

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Pretty interesting, although I have no idea how to do it. I will probably find somebody to do it later, but I don't know who would though. Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:

Roden

Post by Roden on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Hey guys long time no see,

I'm Roden the guy who posted the beta/trial hacked videos awhile back. Sorry for leaving you without much info on those videos, I was really busy with stuff and wanted to do a write up on it first.

I've reuploaded the videos and written a detailed report on it which you can find here: http://www.rodensoft.com/blog/2014/hacking-silent-hill-demo-version-we-didnt-see

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa8syFETJ0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTHNkEFxCyI

(even though I made these videos I love watching them again haha)

I'm positive there is more beta content we haven't seen yet on these trials. Details inside. But basically there's rooms I haven't even set foot in yet as I don't have time to keep coming up with more sophisticated hacks. I hope you find the report enlightening and enjoy it as much as I enjoyed doing it :) I come to these forums quite regularly so I tried to only cover material that is new to everyone (rather than talking about ripped textures etc).

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer in my spare time. If we work together we might be able to discover new stuff.

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks man, I hope to see more :mrgreen:

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 am

Thanks for an enjoyable read; lot's of nice and obscure information.

I haven't had any more luck with discovering new things currently, though I've noticed that when you fire the pistol, the draw distance increases and lets you see everything for a brief moment.

My ultimate goal with all this would be to:

* disable fog and darkness (inside, outside, Otherworld, etc)
* force maximum draw distance
* have full control over the camera (which I presume would require unbinding it from Harry's model, or something similar)

Interesting that you've disabled the NPCs, Would it be possible to disable certain 3D objects in the game as well?
Putting these together in the form of a cheat using the PEC plugin for ePSXe would be ideal or maybe hacking in a debug menu of sorts. Something else that I'd like to know is, if it would be possible to determine the exact sample rate of the in-game sounds. Anyway, great job. I'd love to see more in the future. ;)

Roden

Post by Roden on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:50 am

Alessa'sRevenge wrote:Thanks for an enjoyable read; lot's of nice and obscure information.

I haven't had any more luck with discovering new things currently, though I've noticed that when you fire the pistol, the draw distance increases and lets you see everything for a brief moment.

My ultimate goal with all this would be to:

* disable fog and darkness (inside, outside, Otherworld, etc)
* force maximum draw distance
* have full control over the camera (which I presume would require unbinding it from Harry's model, or something similar)

Interesting that you've disabled the NPCs, Would it be possible to disable certain 3D objects in the game as well?
Putting these together in the form of a cheat using the PEC plugin for ePSXe would be ideal or maybe hacking in a debug menu of sorts. Something else that I'd like to know is, if it would be possible to determine the exact sample rate of the in-game sounds. Anyway, great job. I'd love to see more in the future. ;)

Thanks. I wonder if we can examine in more detail how the fog is disabled in the demo and transfer it to the final version somehow?

Is anyone up for creating Harry position modifiers/room jump codes for the first two demos (I guess for both US/JP versions preferably - making four codes - and btw I wouldn't waste time on EU demos there's nothing different)? The goal would be to force Harry into some areas we can't access in the demo (some hidden cutscenes when unlocked via codes transfer Harry to various rooms, but there are still some we haven't seen yet as no significant cutscene takes place there).

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:06 pm

Most of what we've already figured out here has been guesswork, and as such I don't really know where to start on more complicated changes, seeing as my skills are rudimentary at best. How are you modifying addresses in the game? I've been using the PSXfin emulators built-in debugger and changing register values. The most success has been with the following registers which control the fog and lighting, they seem to use different values in the OPSM demo.

gtecr21_rfc
gtecr22_gfc
gtecr23_bfc

Roden

Post by Roden on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:53 am

I was simply using Cheat Engine. I haven't used PSXfin but seems interesting.

I didn't think anything too complicated was needed for a character position modifier though (though unsure about the best way to isolate Harry's co-ordinates in the jumble of memory values).

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:31 pm

I'm not really familiar with Cheat Engine. I've edited saved game files before using a hex editor, but here I don't have the faintest clue on what values to scan. Is there some way to see which values are changing as you play?

Roden

Post by Roden on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:36 am

Alessa'sRevenge wrote:I'm not really familiar with Cheat Engine. I've edited saved game files before using a hex editor, but here I don't have the faintest clue on what values to scan. Is there some way to see which values are changing as you play?

It's pretty simple after you get used to it. You're not really supposed to search for specific values unless there is some on-screen representation or you have feeling you know what the number is.

Basically, its the same as hacking with a gameshark, for example for the cut-scene modifier I just made a search (for any value - non-specific - yes, you can do that) before I entered the cut-scene, then I searched for values that had changed during the cut-scene, then while the cut-scene was still running I hit "find values that are still the same", then when the cutscene is over just search for values that have changed again. You can do this over and over and until you get the values you want. From this you'll find cut-scene modifiers, codes to stop Harry moving (or codes to have Harry be able to walk through cut-scenes without them affecting him - I found this can be difficult but it works to an extent, its sort of like a magnet the game is trying its hardest to force a cut-scene on you and your running away from it literally lol).

You can see the values changing as you play, you'll also see related memory values near the code your hacking beginning to make sense and change other things related to your code.

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Guys, i just read whole thread and understand that you need to know more about PS modding, here i created FAQ about SH basic modding, where you can find answers on your questions: viewtopic.php?f=3335&t=436503

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:02 am

Ok, I've understood Cheat Engine a bit better now. Which version of the program are you using? 6.3 doesn't have a "find values that are still the same" button. I've tried the following at the alleyway cut-scene when Harry strikes a match:

* checked the "hex" box
* selected "unknown value" and clicked First Scan before the cut-scene ran
* selected "changed value" and clicked Next Scan while it ran
* selected "unchanged value" and clicked Next Scan while it was still going
* selected "changed value" and clicked Next Scan when the scene finished

It's still a jumble of values, though. Do you just randomly add a value to the list or scan through several times? For the most part the game crashes but at least things are a little clearer now.

PaulSilentin wrote:Guys, i just read whole thread and understand that you need to know more about PS modding, here i created FAQ about SH basic modding, where you can find answers on your questions: viewtopic.php?f=3335&t=436503

Thanks, I will give it a look.

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:12 pm

I still would like to know how to get that damn camhack. :mrgreen:

Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:31 am

Oop, bumping an old thread! Don't mind me. (I thought I was banned from here, but maybe it was another SH forum? Either way...)

If you wanted my work, you could have always asked.

https://github.com/Xkeeper0/emu-lua/tre ... ent%20hill (Save all of these files to a folder somewhere.)

The scripts used in that video are here. I can't guarantee they will work. You need to use PSCX-RR, available here: https://code.google.com/p/pcsxrr/ - opena Lua window in pscx-rr and run sh-barebones, and you should get some messages telling you what buttons to push. The hotkeys are really obscure/arcane and you likely won't like them, but alas...

The relevant things you would probably be interested in are here:
Code: Select all
   -- Force X, Y, Z
   memory.writedword(0x800B9D20, memory.readdwordsigned(0x800BA024));
   memory.writedword(0x800B9D28, memory.readdwordsigned(0x800BA02C));
   memory.writedword(0x800B9D24, memory.readdwordsigned(0x800BA028) - 0xC000);
   -- Z is set a ways above the player to give top-down perspective

-- Force straight-down
   memory.writeword(0x800B9D8a, 0);
   memory.writeword(0x800B9D88, -1000);
   memory.writeword(0x800B9D8c, 0);

In this case, the first value in the first three lines is the memory address of the camera; the second address is that of the player (you). The code here reads YOUR position, and then copies it to that of the camera. For the Z (height) index, it sets the camera a fair distance "above" you. The second set of commands changes the pan, tilt, and roll of the camera. In this case it tries to angle it north and point it straight down.

Due to the limitations of how these scripts work, the camera will "jitter" or "stutter" -- you can see it in the linked videos, where the camera shakes.

Probably more useful than that is the coordinate display showing your current position within the "area". As far as I can tell, every "major area" is accessed by a loading zone (e.g. town to school, hospital to town, sewer to park etc), and every "room" contained within an area is generally loaded all at once, though the warp points and "actors" probably won't be. This means that, for example, the introductory "otherworld" version of the town with the corpse is actually available even during "fog mode", if you know how to get there. It should also make mapping out areas easier, since you can record the exact coordinates of things like the unused rooms in Midwich or other things. (In some cases, map data still exists for these rooms, so while you are "in bounds" you will show up in the proper place on the map..!)

(Funnily enough, during the intro, the room you are in before the "starts to get dark, light match" room and the room you go to if you immediately turn back are very different! Barrels and a fence show up to block your way, even if it hasn't gotten dark yet. They are two distinct areas in the game.)

Unfortunately, the script is really old and full of arcane bullshit that you probably won't be able to understand. If you would like me to try doing anything, please let me know and I'll try to see what I can do. It really wasn't made for anybody but me, and was back before all the fancy extractors/decryptors were made.

Just be aware that if you use these to modify your position, certain areas are considered "out of bounds" and Harry will fall to his death, mostly in pits (but also the areas in the middle of the Otherworld school's roof!). If you have noclip on, generally you won't run into this...

Oh, uh. Everything I found was really guesswork -- this was done 5 years ago or so! So, no promises that it won't end up destroying reality or something.

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:28 am

Xkeeper wrote:Oop, bumping an old thread!
Thank you! I'll definitely try it. :)

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:43 pm

"If you wanted my work, you could have always asked. "

Haha, thank you thank you thank you!!! Now I have something to do while i'm on vacation! big fan of your hack! Love you man! I will definitely try this shit right now! I think i'm gonna get back to working on modding this game now!

And hey, if you ever want to mod any other games like, "crash bandicoot 2," or something, let me know i'll give you a link to the programs! :flauros:

Previous

Return to Silent Hill1 Modding