crewsjp8

How can I get a "CamHack", or Free camera movement for SH1?

Post by crewsjp8 on Fri May 02, 2014 4:59 am

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before, but i did search the topic that i am using and nothing came up.
Now, I have been using this website for resources for a while now, but this is my first post, so I apologize if this post isn't in the correct area.
I wanted to ask if anyone knew how to get, or at least access a so called, "Cam Hack", or at least i think that's what it's called. Anyway, this is what i am talking about:Image
I saw this on YouTube first a few months ago, and tried to look for it for a little while, but i couldn't find any downloads. I also think that it could be a debug menu on a beta because I saw somewhere that it was from a beta version, but i can't find any beta, or pre-realeased roms. Although I did find something a while ago, I was activating some cheats in the PEC Emulation cheater (a gameshark, but for PC emulators), and I noticed that there were cheats for a Silent Hill beta. Now, I don't know if there was a silent hill beta rom released, and got removed, or something, but it really does make me more interested in the subject. I have a little bit of experience with coding, I have made a few basic games, so if you could just explain how this is activated, or where i could find a beta of the game I could figure out how to use it, and I would be very grateful. I am sorry if there is anything wrong about this post, if there is please tell me in the comments, thank you.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat May 03, 2014 1:36 pm

There are threads on modding in the modding and fan works subforum. Other than the video you're talking about above, the only person I know of who has hacked the sh1 cam was sh_cityzen. No camhacks have been released for the game, you would have to find a program where you could alter some of the variables to be able to do it. I haven't tried this with sh1.

See also: viewtopic.php?f=3335&t=431577
ImageImageImage

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 1:36 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:There are threads on modding in the modding and fan works subforum. Other than the video you're talking about above, the only person I know of who has hacked the sh1 cam was sh_cityzen. No camhacks have been released for the game, you would have to find a program where you could alter some of the variables to be able to do it. I haven't tried this with sh1.

See also: viewtopic.php?f=3335&t=431577

Thanks, but these links on that topic are down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAR0Kr4Fkt0
http://www.zone.ee/ballistyx
Which sucks, but thanks for leading me to those modding forums, they really helped. I think I have some ideas for modding it though, I'll make a new topic about that later.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun May 04, 2014 2:18 am

Oh, yeah, some of that's from my old forum from 2006, and cityzen's site has been gone for years now. His video just showed the camera briefly moving around that hall in alchemilla, and this screen (he never finished the stuff in that screen, though, like new levels):
He did not publicly release a camhack, nor did anyone else, to my knowledge. I haven't had much luck with doing anything with sh1.

sh_cityzen wrote:Probalby i leave the zombies out. It would be too... you know. too... emm... usual?

But here is a list of stuff to come as soon as possible:

- handgun will change into berreta m92 (also with sound)
- some other weapon enchancemensts
- monster enhancements (Stronger life, different skin, sound)

Also... I am going to remake my site so that everything will be nice and clean...

This is my main project right now, re15 project stands by (due the fact that it is extremely hard project) little bit.

Anyway.... ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME.... shout out here anything you can imagine.. What would you like to see in game, what changes etc.

Btw little word about my mod:

It is alomst 99% certain that it wont work on psx nor ps2. It will work ONLY with pc. psx emulator is main and my mod is second program witch hooks up to emulator and then takes over the control. PAL or NTSC both will go...

So far mod is doing quite well. memory systems running ok, now only limits are in imagination... :D

Tools... c++ (windows) , c psx (psyq) . lot of psx utilities.

The most interesting thing is that I am trying to do level editor. So that all of you can create USER LEVELS and perhaps even SCENARIOS.... puzzles. But this is not going to happen soon.......

If i will have some tools - i will release them... right now all is in alpha stage.

Btw, pyramed head.... probably will walk in bachman road :) maybe even 3 of them.... stay tuned

oke listen up people... there are 3 mods in my mind.

a) varierity of weapons, more weapons....
b) harder enemies (or perhaps more of them)

these are for HARDCORE players

c) the SCENARIO. new levels, new items etc. this is the main. I like the atmosphere of silent hill, no other game (not even the sh2, sh3, sh4 and sho have this atmosphere)..... i will keep it... but what i want is new... stuff to explore... coprende???

new puzzles.... just to keep us running in the silent hill...

and yes, it is possible to make enemies smarter... I am spending lot of time to learn R3000a assemly language so that i can program directly into ram... and at the same time understand what is going on in certain areas of memory. I do know c/c++ too tough.

now.... i will soon add feature list in my site....

everything will be there. including all YOUR IDEAS ....
ImageImageImage

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 2:35 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:Oh, yeah, some of that's from my old forum from 2006, and cityzen's site has been gone for years now. His video just showed the camera briefly moving around that hall in alchemilla, and this screen (he never finished the stuff in that screen, though, like new levels):
He did not publicly release a camhack, nor did anyone else, to my knowledge. I haven't had much luck with doing anything with sh1.

Yeah it would be pretty cool if someone actually managed to create a full scale mod for the game. The only thing iv'e managed to do is change the fog color by editing some of the registers that don't change.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun May 04, 2014 3:06 am

crewsjp8 wrote: Now, I don't know if there was a silent hill beta rom released, and got removed, or something, but it really does make me more interested in the subject.

Nope. None has been publicly released/available for download. I've been looking for over a decade now. Some people who have located physical copies have made videos and screencaps (see this) but, probably due to the rarity and the prices people might pay for such a thing, no one seems willing to share for free. Other information was published in magazines slightly before sh1 was released.
ImageImageImage

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 3:24 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:
crewsjp8 wrote: Now, I don't know if there was a silent hill beta rom released, and got removed, or something, but it really does make me more interested in the subject.

Nope. None has been publicly released/available for download. I've been looking for over a decade now. Some people who have located physical copies have made videos and screencaps (see this) but, probably due to the rarity and the prices people might pay for such a thing, no one seems willing to share for free. Other information was published in magazines slightly before sh1 was released.

Yeah, I looked for it on ebay and some other sites, but the only thing i could find is demo discs, and rare case art.
Also it sucks that that video on alchemilla is down, but the images look very interesting. I saw some E3 footage of the game, and i saw some of the textures were changed.

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun May 04, 2014 4:26 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:

The stuff from Roden wasn't actually a beta, but rather 'beta content' hacked from the files of the PSM #16 demo. There IS a legit beta copy out there however it's pretty much a final build with Alessa's ghost not showing up in Nowhere being the only difference I think, unless I've missed something else. According to the NFO file that came with the beta, there are some debug(?) strings in there that don't appear in the retail game as well.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun May 04, 2014 4:30 am

Thanks for the info, Allessa'sRevenge.

@crewsjp8: Ah, I see now that he deleted the video. I have it downloaded somewhere (along with cityzen's video), but mainly it has stuff like the images ripped from the PSM disc anyway, and I ripped all of those anyway.

The files mentioned (mp4 format):
Cityzen's free camera: http://alchemillahospital.net/dl/silent ... camera.mp4
Rodan's "beta" footage: http://alchemillahospital.net/dl/beta.mp4
Another "beta": http://alchemillahospital.net/dl/SILENT.AVI.mp4

The "without fog" videos are on here:
http://alchemillahospital.net/silent-hi ... thout-fog/
ImageImageImage

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 4:59 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:Thanks for the info, Allessa'sRevenge.

@crewsjp8: Ah, I see now that he deleted the video. I have it downloaded somewhere (along with cityzen's video), but mainly it has stuff like the images ripped from the PSM disc anyway, and I ripped all of those anyway.

Ok, well im making a video now, cause i found out how to remove darkness in the game by editing the registers in the "psxfin" emulator's debug menu, also there will be more lighting effects in there as well, including some camera angle effects to. Im trying to figure out anymore registers i can edit, or anything else in that debug menu. Any ideas?
Also @Allessa'sRevenge: Thanks, I can probably hack into the demo now if i try a little bit.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun May 04, 2014 5:11 am

No idea, haven't looked at anything on sh1 like that. I uploaded the videos in my edited post above. =\
ImageImageImage

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun May 04, 2014 5:22 am

crewsjp8 wrote:

Ok, well im making a video now, cause i found out how to remove darkness in the game by editing the registers in the "psxfin" emulator's debug menu, also there will be more lighting effects in there as well, including some camera angle effects to. Im trying to figure out anymore registers i can edit, or anything else in that debug menu. Any ideas?
Also @Allessa'sRevenge: Thanks, I can probably hack into the demo now if i try a little bit.

Cool, Thanks for the video. I wish sh_cityzen had released what he had at the time so others could work on it.
crewsjp8, I only managed to change the fog color and the horizontal and vertical camera position values which affect the FOV.

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 5:33 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:No idea, haven't looked at anything on sh1 like that. I uploaded the videos in my edited post above. =\

Thanks very much, that is the youtube video i was talking about(the XKeeper one), i'm trying to get some people to help me mod this game, my brother said he knows how to convert the files that have an unknown extension like the .File files to a compatible file, he modded Spyro to where their heads explode by doing something, I don't quite remember, it was years ago. I already know how to extract the texture, and audio files using TimViewer, and PSound. All I know is, modding a PS1 game is one of the hardest things to do.

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 5:41 am

Alessa'sRevenge wrote:
crewsjp8 wrote:

Cool, Thanks for the video. I wish sh_cityzen had released what he had at the time so others could work on it.
crewsjp8, I only managed to change the fog color and the horizontal and vertical camera position values which affect the FOV.

Yeah I edited alot of the values in the registers and i don't think there's anything else. As soon as I finish this video im making i'll upload it to youtube and make a new topic about it. This is gonna happen, there will be a mod for SH1 lol :mrgreen: I'll make a topic about my video and anyone who wants to join me or help out with this mod.

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun May 04, 2014 5:44 am

If there is one thing that I really want to get out of SH1, it's the whole texture set with the correct palettes. Using TIM viewing programs means guessing the colors, which is extremely frustrating and time consuming most of the time. There are these .IPD files in the textures folder which when viewed in a hex editor reference the the individual textures in a TIM by name. They might be the palettes but how to use them with the actual TIM's is anyone's guess. I'll probably upload all the raw resources from the game for people to look at soon.

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 5:59 am

Alessa'sRevenge wrote:If there is one thing that I really want to get out of SH1, it's the whole texture set with the correct palettes. Using TIM viewing programs means guessing the colors, which is extremely frustrating and time consuming most of the time. There are these .IPD files in the textures folder which when viewed in a hex editor reference the the individual textures in a TIM by name. They might be the palettes but how to use them with the actual TIM's is anyone's guess. I'll probably upload all the raw resources from the game for people to look at soon.

If you use, "Tim2View"(TimVeiwer2) There is a bar at the bottom of the screen that shows you what colors are used in the textures, and you can extract those colors, put them in Paint.net(paint program), and put all the colors together, and you have the color pallet. I thought of this recently but haven't tried it yet but i'm going to. Did you try it?

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun May 04, 2014 6:05 am

I haven't tried it yet, I have been using the very exhausting method of doing everything manually. But I will give it a look, if it works then I'll invest as much time as it takes and we'll have a full texture pack. :)

Here is the complete raw resources from Silent Hill I was talking about. It has the maps, models, textures etc.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?s280nc7a1af63ba

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 6:18 am

Alessa'sRevenge wrote:I haven't tried it yet, I have been using the very exhausting method of doing everything manually. But I will give it a look, if it works then I'll invest as much time as it takes and we'll have a full texture pack. :)

Here is the complete raw resources from Silent Hill I was talking about. It has the maps, models, textures etc.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?s280nc7a1af63ba

Thank you so much, iv'e been looking everywhere for theses files, and how to extract them. I'll make good use of these files. there is only one problem, I don't know how to put these files back into the game, but anyway, im gonna upload my video as soon as i edit it, and yes i looked at every other register, and nothing worked with the the letters i use(f, b, or c).
Also 1 more thing, my computer is a crappy one from 2003 so my video will take a hour or two to render. :roll:

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun May 04, 2014 7:20 am

No problem. I've tried to merge all the palettes but I think that the .TIM files need to reference the colors somehow for each individual texture, which might have to be done in a hex editor, since a .BMP isn't exactly a palette, just an image.

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Sun May 04, 2014 7:39 am

Alessa'sRevenge wrote:No problem. I've tried to merge all the palettes but I think that the .TIM files need to reference the colors somehow for each individual texture, which might have to be done in a hex editor, since a .BMP isn't exactly a palette, just an image.

Yeah, I just tried it not to long ago, the only problem i have is when i try to replace a .TIM it says: "cannot open file E:/SILENT. access denied. E:/SILENT is my virtual drive from PowerISO, i mounted it, but that has nothing to do with it, I also tried to replace the .TIM file in the original ROM, and it says the same thing. I'm going to try and replace the ones in that file you sent me, but i don't know how to inject/re-insert those files back into the game.

Next

Return to Silent Hill1 Modding