SilentHellVG

Restoring the lost memo in the NTSC-U version

Post by SilentHellVG on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:34 pm

As you all know, The NTSC-U version of Silent Hill is considered the definitive version of the game considering its lack of censorship. However, for whatever odd reason, the boiler explosion memo was excluded from the US release, effectively creating a useless empty room with nothing in it.

So, I was wondering, could we restore it? I'm looking at the games files right now and comparing it to the EU release and I'm not seeing anything that really stands out? Is the JPN release any different? For the record, the file I'm looking at is MAP7_S01.BIN which contains the boiler memo text. It leads me to believe the code in question is in this file.

roocker666

Post by roocker666 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:55 am

SilentHellVG wrote:As you all know, The NTSC-U version of Silent Hill is considered the definitive version of the game considering its lack of censorship. However, for whatever odd reason, the boiler explosion memo was excluded from the US release, effectively creating a useless empty room with nothing in it.

So, I was wondering, could we restore it? I'm looking at the games files right now and comparing it to the EU release and I'm not seeing anything that really stands out? Is the JPN release any different? For the record, the file I'm looking at is MAP7_S01.BIN which contains the boiler memo text. It leads me to believe the code in question is in this file.

I was checking the NTSC-U files, inside "TIM" folder you can find the memo background, named: NEWSP3.TIM

roocker666

Post by roocker666 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:01 am

The memo text is in MAP7_S02.BIN(NTSC-U)

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 am

Hopefully more treats on the way here...

JimmyGlace

Post by JimmyGlace on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:34 am

Any update on this? Is it just a simple file replacement of moving the map file from one to the other?
Have anyone done this yet? Would be very happy if someone fixed this. : )

Return to Silent Hill1 Modding