Post photos, info, or links to things you want to buy, sell, or trade. Exchanges between members are private transactions and are not managed by silenthillcommunity.com. See rules before participating. Discussion of merchandise also goes here.

Giromancy

Silent Hill Trade Demo (Beta?) on Ebay

Post by Giromancy on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:14 am

Looks like someone is selling this version of SH1 on Ebay, im not 100% sure if this is a beta, but is a a very rare version that is impossible to get on internet.

"Trade Demo" this rare title is actually the completed game. Sent to media outlets for review it was often dismissed as a partial game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silent-Hill-Trade-Demo-SLUS-80707-Very-Rare-Not-For-Resale-/181291018367?nma=true&si=prAV%252B22SE%252FBwm0%252FEZRiMtSEz5TU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would buy it, but unfortunately is not available for my country, and is almost expensive to me right now.

If i'm not mistaken, this version might have several differences compared with the final game.
==================================
Image Image Image

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 am

I don't know a thing about the various versions / demo's etcetera of Silent Hill that may exist, but I can't imagine Konami sending out beta versions to the media for review purposes?

Looks like a great find for collectors though! I still need to get a standard PS1 copy of SH, it exists only as a file on my PC at the moment. Prices for collectors items always put me off getting too involved, there's currently a couple of superb original posters going on ebay.uk, for SH, SH3 and The Room, but at £150 a pop the seller can keep 'em :evil:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-RARE-OFFICIAL-SILENT-HILL-PROMO-POSTER-/321359375609?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Looks like the 3 and 4 posters have already been snapped up! The SH4 one was classy, the US red cover, but these posters are pretty big!
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 am

Damn, I really miss the PS1 days of the games coming in those jewel cases...

Someone snatched the disc up over two months ago with a bid of $257.98. I'm not the type to pay that much for an old press copy of a game (unless it were Syphon Filter or Killzone :ninja:...) but yeah.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 am

NarooN wrote:Damn, I really miss the PS1 days of the games coming in those jewel cases...

Really? They were always a bit awkward for my liking, too big for racks specifically designed for standard CDs, and a bit small and underwhelming anyway. And once they're cracked, they're cracked, I never did find anywhere that sold replacement boxes back in the day. I prefer the DVD cases that came with PS2 and Xbox games, probably simply because they look better (to my eyes) on a display rack / cabinet. I'm a bit nerdy like that though, I'd ideally like the games to come in big elaborately designed boxes that would sit perfectly alongside the collection of classic old books in the cabinet, kinda like the Special Edition LOTR DVDs. Like I say, bit nerdy! :ninja:

And the games deserve it! SH1 is to games what LOTR is to films or The Complete Works Of Shakespeare are to the written word, so they should be sat amongst such classics on the old bookshelf :grinrobbie:
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Yeah, I liked the jewel cases, lol. They were inferior to the DVD cases for sure, since the jewel cases would crack easily if not taken care of, but this is more nostalgia talking than anything else. It's like vinyl enthusiasts who still collect and listen to music on their turntables, even if CD releases are available. That said, I don't even have anymore of the jewel cases, and I'm not that miffed about it since I don't really have anywhere decent to put them anyway, lol.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:36 pm

I wish I had hundreds of extra $$$ to buy this shit...

It's like vinyl enthusiasts who still collect and listen to music on their turntables, even if CD releases are available. That said, I don't even have anymore of the jewel cases, and I'm not that miffed about it since I don't really have anywhere decent to put them anyway, lol.

I only still collect vinyl of a few different bands/artists. I still have one of those giant wall mounted CD racks, also, which is where all my PS1 games are (I sold a lot of my music CDs out of necessity due to being poor and in college, and having a fuckton of CDs back then).
ImageImage

Pale Bishop

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Post by Pale Bishop on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:29 am

If this is legitimate, and it sure as shit looks like it is, then this is an amazing find. It could be a huge break for any of us who could afford it and could safely explore it and post the potential differences. Unfortunately, being a Silent Hill fan is frustratingly expensive when it comes to the deep, dark well of wanting shit. All of the Silent Hill fans who have a lick of money have their own collection sites by now... I wish I could join them.

If anyone who uses this forum acquires the disc, please tell us what you find!

Anders

Do not approach.

Post by Anders on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:47 am

The disc does contain a slightly different version of the game, but as far as I played it it was mostly the same as retail. Just minor differences.

There was another review disc (on CD-R) sent out a few weeks earlier which has a lot more differences. It wasn't that uncommon to send out slightly unfinished games for review back then.

http://crimson-ceremony.net/lostrelease ... -usa-demo1

Giromancy

Post by Giromancy on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:20 am

Sometimes, i wonder why we dont have any beta of SH1 released to public at this date (2014), SH fans is big around the world but it looks like no one is interested to see a proto, alpha, beta or whatever version of SH1 (maybe because it is an old game?) or those who have an early version for whatever reason dont want to share it with us, the true fans, i see communities like RE, Clock Tower, Shenmue etc that makes the impossible to get an early version of those games and share it to the whole fans community to make a deep analysis of it. I think SH1 deserves it no?

For my part, i keep looking any info of an early version of SH1 to share with you guys like i do when i found the OPM demo of SH1 on a old Russian forum. Hope one day someone released a beta version of SH with a debug mode or something, that would be simply fantastic, and please, don't take my comment so personal, this message was in general for everybody including me.. ;)

And sorry for my English, its hard to express oneself like this..

For those who dont know what im talking about the OPM demo, its the most early demo of SH1 known to date, here are two videos i made some time ago:

OPM (Official Playstation Magazine Demo #16 SCENE 1

OPM (Official Playstation Magazine Demo #16 SCENE 2

This was the first image of SH that IGN plubished in his site with the date Oct 1, 1998: (notice the same chairs colors like in the OPM demo):
Image Image Image

Anders

Do not approach.

Post by Anders on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Well there are plenty of demos which can easily be found online. There's the Japanese Trial Version, the American OPM#16 demo, the American demo with Cybil on the cover (which may be the same as the OPM demo, never played them for some reason), the PAL "MGS" demo, and the slightly later PAL magazine demo.

http://crimson-ceremony.net/lostrelease ... /index.php
http://crimson-ceremony.net/lostreleases/shdemo/ps1.php

(Many people are not aware of the later PAL demo, basically all PAL demos in those links except the "MGS" demo are actually a demo of a later build than the "MGS" demo.)

Those two links show all the SH demo/promo discs which came on normal factory pressed promo discs.

Shortly before the American release of the game, a pre-release version was leaked. I never played it, but this should be possible to find online. I don't know if it has any differences or not. It may have been the Trade Demo, or the Review CD-R with notable differences (file date: 1999.01.06), or something else entirely.

One reason that there are no SH1 prototypes freely available could be that these cost a lot more than SH2-3-4 etc discs. E3 demos of 2, 3, and 4 have been shared, but those are a few hundred dollars each. SH1 is four digits.

Review disc:

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:35 pm

What Anders says is true, but it's also age of the thing, I suppose. When those discs were distributed to press, it was before most people even had internet capable of firesharing hundreds of megabytes (I remember single mp3s taking hours to download on napster, for example). And a lot of the people who got them might not even have been really into the game or the genre, and didn't care and threw them away and lost them, rather than thinking it'd be cool to share them with others. There probably weren't many discs to begin with, and most of them were lost, and then most of the people who can find them now have to pay big money, therefore don't want to give away the data for free online.
ImageImage

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Anders wrote:Shortly before the American release of the game, a pre-release version was leaked. I never played it, but this should be possible to find online. I don't know if it has any differences or not. It may have been the Trade Demo, or the Review CD-R with notable differences (file date: 1999.01.06), or something else entirely.

One reason that there are no SH1 prototypes freely available could be that these cost a lot more than SH2-3-4 etc discs. E3 demos of 2, 3, and 4 have been shared, but those are a few hundred dollars each. SH1 is four digits.

Review disc:

The "pre-release" version which can be found on the internet has the date 1999.01.22. I'm not sure if this is could be the one you mentioned. I haven't really found anything different about this build, but if memory serves me right, the scenes with Alessa's ghost don't happen in Nowhere.

Regarding prototypes, How do you know that SH1 would cost in the thousands? Has anyone been known to own one?

Giromancy

Post by Giromancy on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Anders wrote:Well there are plenty of demos which can easily be found online. There's the Japanese Trial Version, the American OPM#16 demo, the American demo with Cybil on the cover (which may be the same as the OPM demo, never played them for some reason), the PAL "MGS" demo, and the slightly later PAL magazine demo.

http://crimson-ceremony.net/lostrelease ... /index.php
http://crimson-ceremony.net/lostreleases/shdemo/ps1.php

(Many people are not aware of the later PAL demo, basically all PAL demos in those links except the "MGS" demo are actually a demo of a later build than the "MGS" demo.)

Those two links show all the SH demo/promo discs which came on normal factory pressed promo discs.

Yeah, i know those demos, i almost played them all trying to find some beta info. The Japanese Trial Version is the one with most differences along with the OPM #16, both have the 1998 date in the main menu screen, but the last one (OPM #16) is earlier. Like you said, the PAL demos are almost identical to the final version (copyes from the NTSC), so, if you want to find some beta info you must search in the NTSC versions. Thats why i think that this trade demo (SLUS_80707) is possibly the beta, and its the complete game! think the lot of things that we can find inside that disc and discuss. Not sure, but this one looks like the version that PSMagazine used to make the Strategy Guide, and they said they used a incomplete version of the game so that reinforces my theory, if you read the guide, you can notice that there a lot of things different from the final version, like the Iron Pipe location, this is located at the end of Midwich St where the bridge is collapsed, before enter the school and it was called Lead Pipe Instead of Iron, You can see this also in the Prima Official Strategy Guide in the weapons section, some monsters appears in different locations too, items names are also different etc.

Anders wrote:Shortly before the American release of the game, a pre-release version was leaked. I never played it, but this should be possible to find online. I don't know if it has any differences or not. It may have been the Trade Demo, or the Review CD-R with notable differences (file date: 1999.01.06), or something else entirely.

I never heard or read about a pre-released version, but i heard about this version: SH_SLUS-00707 (ver1.0) but never understood the ¨ver1.0¨.

Anders wrote:One reason that there are no SH1 prototypes freely available could be that these cost a lot more than SH2-3-4 etc discs. E3 demos of 2, 3, and 4 have been shared, but those are a few hundred dollars each. SH1 is four digits.

Review disc:

Four digits? thats too expensive for a game, anyway, beyond the prices and demos of SH1, i never seen any proto, alpha, beta etc published on internet, thats why i think is a little weird that to this date there are almost nothing on internet, being SH a well known game. I think this Trade Demo is an important version and we don't have to let it go, hope someone can share this trade demo with us. ;)
Image Image Image

Anders

Do not approach.

Post by Anders on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Yes the Trade Demo is a "beta", and it's the full game, with some differences but nothing major. It's not the build used by PSM to make the strategy guide, that would be the CD-R I showed a picture of.

Anders

Do not approach.

Post by Anders on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Didn't notice your post earlier...
Alessa'sRevenge wrote:The "pre-release" version which can be found on the internet has the date 1999.01.22. I'm not sure if this is could be the one you mentioned. I haven't really found anything different about this build, but if memory serves me right, the scenes with Alessa's ghost don't happen in Nowhere.

Regarding prototypes, How do you know that SH1 would cost in the thousands? Has anyone been known to own one?

Regarding the pre-release version, that's probably it. I think I remember it was pretty much just the retail game with a slightly earlier date and some minimal changes in file sizes. Reading your post I'm getting flashbacks from comparing the file folders, but I don't think I ever played it.

The only known prototypes I know of are mine, the mentioned review disc and a 75% build from November 1998 (and I suppose that the Trade Demo counts as a prototype as well). (These can unfortunately not be shared, at least not in the near future.)

Alessa'sRevenge

Tears of darkness

Post by Alessa'sRevenge on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:35 pm

I understand how it is with these prototypes, just look at the RE1.5 community. :roll:
Would you be able to give a brief description of what that 75% build is like?

Anders

Do not approach.

Post by Anders on Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:55 am

It's mental. Rompers from the start. Can't really rememeber much more at the moment, I've never played it to completion. I tried to play it again a few weeks ago, but apparently my new TV displays all NTSC games in inverted colors, so that was not very fun. :)

Windom Earle

Post by Windom Earle on Wed May 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Anders wrote:It's mental. Rompers from the start. Can't really rememeber much more at the moment, I've never played it to completion. I tried to play it again a few weeks ago, but apparently my new TV displays all NTSC games in inverted colors, so that was not very fun. :)

Anders, when will you show us the game? I mean that Trade Demo :pirate:

BTW, there are some differences in 1.0 and 1.1 versions of SLUS-00707:
REVEAL SPOILER

Also in v1.1 some bugs are fixed, e. g. "headless Harry" after Cybil fight and others.

Anders

Do not approach.

Post by Anders on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:50 am

Windom Earle wrote:Anders, when will you show us the game? I mean that Trade Demo :pirate:

Probably not anytime soon, so much work to do with websites and stuff...

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade and Merchandise discussion