Forum rules
MARK YOUR SPOILERS. This game is new, so if you're sharing information that can potentially ruin the story for people who haven't played it yet, clearly warn and mark those sections with spoiler tags. While you should always wrap your spoilers, this rule will be extra-enforced in this forum. Failure to comply will result in infractions.

murphdaycake

Might be picking up BoM soon and I want some fan opinions!

Post by murphdaycake on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm gonna be picking up a Vita in the next few days and I'm thinking about getting Book of Memories as my first Vita game, since I've been wanting to try it for a while. I've heard really good things and really bad things about it, so I figured I should get some fan opinions from people that have played it to make sure I'm making a good purchase. Is it fun? Is the story interesting? Stuff like that. Let me know!
I don't have any good images that I could use as a signature. So, here's a red "Q":
Q.

jacobia

Miss Poppy Brown

Post by jacobia on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:51 pm

I've only recently bought the game and have only played up to and defeated the first boss. However, so far I'm finding it to be an enjoyable little game, perfect for those pick up and play moments. Have you seen any gameplay vids? BoM has an overhead isometric view similar to Diablo, and basically it appears to be an rpg dungeon crawler with Silent Hill mythos, so there is some intrigue and mystery to be discovered.
As a point of reference for my opinion, I've played and loved all of the SH games chronologicaly, bar the Play Novel and Orphan series.

ps - BoM's soundtrack is amazing 8-)
It isn't a dream, you only heard yourself
The means of your life, create and melt
In front of you, beneath closed lids
The path to freedom, Nirvana, here sits

murphdaycake

Post by murphdaycake on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:05 am

jacobia wrote:I've only recently bought the game and have only played up to and defeated the first boss. However, so far I'm finding it to be an enjoyable little game, perfect for those pick up and play moments. Have you seen any gameplay vids? BoM has an overhead isometric view similar to Diablo, and basically it appears to be an rpg dungeon crawler with Silent Hill mythos, so there is some intrigue and mystery to be discovered.
As a point of reference for my opinion, I've played and loved all of the SH games chronologicaly, bar the Play Novel and Orphan series.

ps - BoM's soundtrack is amazing 8-)

Oh yeah I know about the gameplay style and all that. I've been following the game since it was announced, every time A new SH game is announced I stalk it like crazy hahaha. I've beaten every SH except the same ones you listed, I've just been indecisive about getting the game because it's so different from the rest of the series. But you seem to like it so I might pick it up! And yes the soundtrack is awesome, I listen to Love Psalm all the time!
I don't have any good images that I could use as a signature. So, here's a red "Q":
Q.

Terramax

Post by Terramax on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:52 pm

I suspect you've gone and bought the game now, but for reference to anyone else stumbling upon this forum, and thinking of buying this game, there's a demo available, so no need to buy straight away. The demo is fairly lengthy too.
Is currently following the path of the hermit, concealed by Flauros. BRB.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Yeah, I downloaded the demo a while ago but had no way to play it. ^_^ My copy of the full game and my Vita will be here sometime this week though. I was waiting for the price to go down on both.
ImageImageImage

Terramax

Post by Terramax on Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:57 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:Yeah, I downloaded the demo a while ago but had no way to play it. ^_^ My copy of the full game and my Vita will be here sometime this week though. I was waiting for the price to go down on both.

Please let me know what you think of it. I'm intrigued if it's worth getting also.
Is currently following the path of the hermit, concealed by Flauros. BRB.

murphdaycake

Post by murphdaycake on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:02 am

Terramax wrote:I suspect you've gone and bought the game now, but for reference to anyone else stumbling upon this forum, and thinking of buying this game, there's a demo available, so no need to buy straight away. The demo is fairly lengthy too.

I did get it and I'm having a lot of fun! The story is interesting and I really enjoy the combat. I've ran into one or two minor bugs, but nothing too problematic. Don't know why so many people complained about it, it's definitely nothing like the other games in the series, but it's a spin-off so why does it matter. If you appreciate it for what it is then you will be satisfied. Also for anyone that wants to do some multiplayer, let me know and I'll give you my PSN! :)
Q.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:34 am

^I think people complained about it because they are against any "spinoff games". If you play it without the expectation of it having the same gameplay and storyline as SH2, it is possible to enjoy playing it. That being said, I'm not very far in it yet. I bought the explansion pack but I'm not really sure what that does yet, either.

Haven't tried any multiplayer but if anyone wants to add me, I'm DocKaufmann on PSN.
ImageImageImage

jacobia

Miss Poppy Brown

Post by jacobia on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:04 pm

nur_ein_tier wrote:Haven't tried any multiplayer but if anyone wants to add me, I'm DocKaufmann on PSN.

Ditto, same here, so if anyone would like to add me, my PSN id is also jacobia :)
It isn't a dream, you only heard yourself
The means of your life, create and melt
In front of you, beneath closed lids
The path to freedom, Nirvana, here sits

murphdaycake

Post by murphdaycake on Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Mine's shronkeykong :)
Q.

Misty Day

Remains of the Judgment

Post by Misty Day on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:23 pm

I am not in love with this game. But if I'm completely honest, a lot of my loathing isn't the GAME's fault. I chose to impulsively run out and by a Vita because I couldn't stand the idea of there being another Silent Hill game in North America that I haven't played. (Some day, Silent Hill: The Arcade, I WILL FIND YOU!). So I dropped a pile of money on a gaming system and a game I don't like only to find that there are precious few other titles on the Vita that I'm interested in. It's not BM's fault I wasted my money. I heap scorn upon BM anyway. Just for fun, I'm going to try to praise it today. This should be a short post.

The coolest thing was being able to design my own protagonist for the first time in the series. The story doesn't matter, so you're free to play either gender and swap a bunch of clothes, accessories, and even voices around. I made a younger me- a four-eyed red-head with a penchant for flat caps. *I* get to run around in a Silent Hill title. That makes me happy.

The new composer, Daniel Licht, is not trying to ape Akira's style. He's doing his own thing, and it's a good thing. This music is perfect for a handheld dungeon crawler, but there are also two nice vocal tracks with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. In your face, Silent Hill Downpour! Two! And she's actually singing, not just moaning in the background. Point to Book of Memories.

Um, the premise is pretty cool. I received this mysterious book that lets me change the past if I fight my way through a nightmare and OOPS, maybe I shouldn't do that. Yeah, I like that. But other than that, I'm all out of praise.

I wasn't going to complain about the game in this post, but there is one thing that bugs me about the game that is all on the game and not my wanting it to be something it's not: Save points. This is a hand held game meant for quick plays anywhere any time. What's with the random save points? Why do I sometimes trip over the level's one and only save point immediately after starting it and other times have to slog through a billion rooms to an out of the way corner I have no reason to visit to find one? That's really annoying. I'd rather they ripped off RE's typewriter ribbon thing if they wanted to make saving part of the challenge: save points EVERYWHERE but their use depends on you having enough wotzits to make them work. Having to replay a big level because it has a remote save point you couldn't find before having to put the game down is made doubly annoying by finding the save too close to the start in the next level. It's like the game is mocking you.

Moss

Post by Moss on Wed May 21, 2014 8:01 pm

The developers should've had vice/secret options for characters and attached otherworld types/archenemsis forms/enemy categories to these. Is that too much of an endeavour?! :)
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

Return to Silent Hill Book of Memories