Forum rules
MARK YOUR SPOILERS. This game is new, so if you're sharing information that can potentially ruin the story for people who haven't played it yet, clearly warn and mark those sections with spoiler tags. While you should always wrap your spoilers, this rule will be extra-enforced in this forum. Failure to comply will result in infractions.

Who is tha....

Why no Downpour monsters ?

Post by Who is tha.... on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:16 am

Why in Book of Memories there is only the Boogeyman. No Screamer, no dolls, no prisoner minion ? They are awesome monsters. Maybe we should ask WayForward to made them in the DLC if they would made a DLC.

Rob of the Fog

Brookhaven Outpatient

Post by Rob of the Fog on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Well, firstly Downpour is still very much a current game and BoMs feels more focused on using monsters from older games as a throwback to past highlights. Like a 'greatest hits'. And like with musicians' 'Greatest Hits', it is rare for them to put tracks from their current albums on Best Of collections.

Secondly, a lot of people, myself included thought the Downpour monsters weren't all that great and kind of unimaginative. There nowhere near as abstract and disturbing as some of the monsters we have seen in the past.
A major floor, in my opinion, is that they all have easily discernible eyes. I think Masahiro Ito said in one of the 'making of' videos for 2 or 3 that he likes to avoid giving creatures eyes. As they say, "Eyes are the gateway to the soul.", so to deprive monsters of eyes immediately makes them more alien and unrelatable and therefore a lot more menacing. This is why I think Ito's monster designs are effortlessly the best and the most freaking scary in the series.

Mr.E.Nygma

The Butcher

Post by Mr.E.Nygma on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:00 am

I'm pretty sure BOM was supposed to come out before DP, maybe they didn't want to spoil it.
Love me some HC

Adam_WF

Special Guest

Adam Tierney, WayForward

Post by Adam_WF on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:36 am

To be fair, Bogeyman *is* the most powerful enemy in BoM. ;)

I think at one point, Doll was on the list, but didn't ultimately make the cut. We tried to pick about 2 enemies from each game, but ultimately the selection came down to which enemies worked best for the type of gameplay.

Who is tha....

Post by Who is tha.... on Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:11 pm

Adam_WF wrote:To be fair, Bogeyman *is* the most powerful enemy in BoM. ;)

I think at one point, Doll was on the list, but didn't ultimately make the cut. We tried to pick about 2 enemies from each game, but ultimately the selection came down to which enemies worked best for the type of gameplay.

Why no Prisoner Minion monsters ? Add them in DLC or something.

JaneTheNurse

Complete. Global. Masturbation.

Post by JaneTheNurse on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:02 pm

"Hmm, we could use these imaginative and iconic designs of the series in our new series highlights type of game, or we could use these regular-looking dudes and regular-looking ladies in it. Hmmmm..."

Let's just leave the Downpour monstrosities where they are. None of them really scream "reusable" to me.

gothlolilunatic

Shadow Doll

Post by gothlolilunatic on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:27 pm

The Downpour monsters weren't that bad. They looked human because all of Murphy's fears were of people. His fellow inmates, his wife, himself...

And if you look closely at them, they're not normal-looking, not really.
http://inkedblue.tumblr.com/ <---- author blog
http://authonomy.com/writing-community/profile/c324c2b8-9b3e-4dd5-b7f6-6a896fb9e810/gothlolilunatic/ <----- Authonomy profile
I can believe 6 impossible things before breakfast

Mr.E.Nygma

The Butcher

Post by Mr.E.Nygma on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:16 am

They could have at least handled the fights better. Punching and blocking and hitting isn't monster like.
Love me some HC

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:33 am

Well, at least not for SH monsters I guess.

Besides it's not the first time that monsters block and especially not the first time that they hit.

I agree with gothloli, the monsters in Downpour symbolize people, so I guess it makes sense why they're more human like. Honestly, I really can't how they look like regular people or people in masks.

Mr.E.Nygma

The Butcher

Post by Mr.E.Nygma on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:59 pm

Still, fitting the story or not. I hate to be "that guy" but boxing monsters simply is not "Silent Hill like"
Love me some HC

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:22 am

If ever there were a "greatest hits" of Silent Hill, it should come in this form. That way. There can be a slight disconnect while still holding relevancy. It would be too weird to have all these enemies from all the games in a typical 3rd person SH adventure.

I haven't had a chance to get the game, but you can be sure I will we I get the chance. I've heard good things about it, and from what I know of the plot, it's entirely canon to myrhology.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Return to Silent Hill Book of Memories