Forum rules
MARK YOUR SPOILERS. This game is new, so if you're sharing information that can potentially ruin the story for people who haven't played it yet, clearly warn and mark those sections with spoiler tags. While you should always wrap your spoilers, this rule will be extra-enforced in this forum. Failure to comply will result in infractions.

Terrorvision

I heard this game is retconning stuff

Post by Terrorvision on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Of the games you listed, only Origins, SH1, and SH3 share a continuous storyline. Homecoming and SH4 have some relations to earlier titles, yes, but their stories are stand alone and don't focus on the Alessa storyline.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Not directly, no. But to shove it as unimportant would be a folly. Alessa and her influence set up for all the other games whether fans like it or not. My reference wasn't to alessa but the other force behind the games : the cult. The cult is what causes alessa to drastically impact the otherworld.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:54 am

I checked out the story for BoM and I honestly don't see what's so bad about it. I really liked the endings.

Otherside

Post by Otherside on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:44 am

By Tomm's own logic/argument, if BoM is canon, then every other SH spinoff should be canon too(with exception of SHSM).

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:02 am

Otherside wrote:By Tomm's own logic/argument, if BoM is canon, then every other SH spinoff should be canon too(with exception of SHSM).

Your logic doesn't make sense. If they said that one spinoff is canon, why should other spinoffs be canon as well?

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:15 am

Yeah, that logic isn't sound at all. Technically Um Jammer Lammy was a Parappa the Rapper spinoff, but it was still canon to that universe. Just because something is a spinoff doesn't mean it's non-canon. Not to mention how BoM doesn't contradict anything from the other games.

Otherside

Post by Otherside on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:13 am

devil hunter wrote:
Otherside wrote:By Tomm's own logic/argument, if BoM is canon, then every other SH spinoff should be canon too(with exception of SHSM).

Your logic doesn't make sense. If they said that one spinoff is canon, why should other spinoffs be canon as well?

Because the reason given for BoM's canonicity can be applied to other spinoffs as well.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:54 am

How?

Terrorvision

Post by Terrorvision on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:23 am

Otherside wrote:
devil hunter wrote:

Because the reason given for BoM's canonicity can be applied to other spinoffs as well.

I'm afraid it is canon, always will be, and no amount of whining or excuses will ever change that. If you get that upset over a game you don't like being part of the same franchise as Silent Hill, you need reevaulate your priorities.

Otherside

Post by Otherside on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:35 pm

devil hunter wrote:How?

Tomm said that "Canon is a story/world term, not a gameplay one (as I think you know), and you may not like to hear this but BoM doesn't break it. It builds on canon,", but the same can be said about games like Orphan and Arcade. Hell, Arcade even builds on the story of SH2, telling us more about what happened with the Little Baroness.

So why is BoM canon and the others aren't? It sounds like a big double-standard for me.

Terrorvision wrote:
Otherside wrote:
devil hunter wrote:

I'm afraid it is canon, always will be, and no amount of whining or excuses will ever change that. If you get that upset over a game you don't like being part of the same franchise as Silent Hill, you need reevaulate your priorities.

And I'm afraid "Orphan" and "The Arcade" are canon, always will be, and no amount of whining or excuses will ever change that. If you get that upset over two games you don't like being part of the same franchise as Silent Hill, you need to reevaulate your priorities.

I don't have a problem with the canonicity of the spinoffs, I have a problem with the double-standard of the SH fanbase.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:17 am

You're being silly now.

Fur

Post by Fur on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:46 pm

How is he being silly Devil? He/She simply said why in his/her opinion other spin off games might be canonical entries as well for the same reasons Book of Memories is.

I'm not too bothered if it's canon or not myself either.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Was it ever officially stated anywhere that the Orphan series and The Arcade *weren't* canon? Some really silly shit happened in The Arcade (like Pyramid Head appearing for no reason other than lolbecausePH) but aside from that, it seemed straightforward.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Fur wrote:How is he being silly Devil? He/She simply said why in his/her opinion other spin off games might be canonical entries as well for the same reasons Book of Memories is.

I'm not too bothered if it's canon or not myself either.

If Tomm said BoM was not canon, would the other spinoffs be non canon as well?

Avianna

Dirty Dirty Cosplayer

Post by Avianna on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:39 am

I'm confused because no one has ever said that Orphan or Arcade are canon. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've read an interview somewhere in which someone specifically said Arcade is not canon.

I'm also confused because the topic is about retconning things... And I've played a good %75 of this game so far and there has been none of that.
Just because I don’t agree with you on something, doesn’t mean I don’t respect your opinion.
ImageImageImage

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 am

Avianna wrote:I'm confused because no one has ever said that Orphan or Arcade are canon. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've read an interview somewhere in which someone specifically said Arcade is not canon.

This. If it's said that BoM is canon, that doesn't mean other spinoffs are canon or that they have to be canon.

There's no double-standard. What's with all the "Book of Memories is canon so other spinoffs are canon as well"?

It's like when a kid sees someone playing with, for example, some toy car and wants a car like that now because that person plays with it.

Mercury

Post by Mercury on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:08 am

I still haven't played this game, but I'm not really sure how making the work of the deities totally transparent isn't somehow messing with the canon. From what I know of the game, everything seems out of its element and out of character. The storyline itself is more along the lines of Dying Inside or Dead/Alive than a canon entry to the series. I guess that's just me though.

Technically I don't even care enough about that point in the series anyway to argue it. :lol:
ya fuckin rite

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:47 am

The thing most 'out of character' is probably the gameplay itself, really. And that's only a problem if one is some hardcore purist or something. It's been established in the series that weird shit happens all over the place in relation to the Otherworld and such, so BoM's story seems okay to me. There were always hints dropped throughout the games that lots of other people were going through their own trials & tribulations or other paranormal events were happening, so BoM doesn't really break canon like that.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:31 pm

Well, from what I understood, all the stuff from the series is in that book, so what we see are not the actual Valtiel, PH etc., they're just book versions and they do different things.

Otherside

Post by Otherside on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:38 pm

devil hunter wrote:
Avianna wrote:I'm confused because no one has ever said that Orphan or Arcade are canon. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've read an interview somewhere in which someone specifically said Arcade is not canon.

This. If it's said that BoM is canon, that doesn't mean other spinoffs are canon or that they have to be canon.

But if the reason given for BoM's canonicity can be aplied to other spinoff games, then why wouldn't it(be applied, I mean)? It is a double-standard IMO.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Book of Memories