Forum rules
MARK YOUR SPOILERS. This game is new, so if you're sharing information that can potentially ruin the story for people who haven't played it yet, clearly warn and mark those sections with spoiler tags. While you should always wrap your spoilers, this rule will be extra-enforced in this forum. Failure to comply will result in infractions.

captain crowbar

I heard this game is retconning stuff

Post by captain crowbar on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Is that true? I likely won't play it ever so go ahead and spoil whatever you want for me (use spoiler boxes though), but I heard there were a bunch of memos that kind of don't quite sound right with what we know about the previous games.

Since Tomm said it was canon, does that mean they're trying to do what Origins did and tweak established character personalities and whatnot?

This is the one I saw that made me go hmmmm....
REVEAL SPOILER
"I want the best for my Alessa--for our sacrifice to mean something. My beloved daughter will change the world."

REVEAL SPOILER
That doesn't quite sound right in my memory of Dahlia's personality. She didn't care for Alessa at all if I recall correctly. She was even excited to use her as a easy vessel for god...right? Especially after the botched ritual that left her nearly dead, her only concern was for the rituals, not for Alessa...saying something like "our sacrifices" and "beloved daughter" just sounds tremendously out of character...
---

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Unless you know of Dahlia to lie a lot like she does in the previous games. She has to put on the air like she is not abusing Alessa.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:43 pm

so it's more red herring work? Why even put stuff like that in the ga...oh yeah, they want to link it to previous titles more.
---

Pyramid_Heart

Post by Pyramid_Heart on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:54 am

Dahlia did care for Alessa.

Its just that her beliefs determine her morals. In her point of view, she was giving her daughter the opportunity to be God.

*spoilers*

Also, I'm not convinced that everyone had a book. It is more likely that every event that ever happened to anyone in the series has been recorded in a manifested book. I don't think they sat down and wrote books while they were running from monsters, just that the town took those collective events and documented them in physical form. I believe that is what the save room library is. It may even tie into Vincent and his library from part 3.

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 am

Pyramid_Heart wrote: the town took those collective events and documented them in physical form. I believe that is what the save room library is. It may even tie into Vincent and his library from part 3.

---

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:15 am

Pyramid_Heart wrote:Dahlia did care for Alessa.

Its just that her beliefs determine her morals. In her point of view, she was giving her daughter the opportunity to be God.

I disagree with this, strongly. It goes against evidence. First off there is enough in game evidence that Alessa was physically abused. If that's what you call "caring" for a child, well that's a warped sense of love. Second of all Lost Memories and other things confirm that Dahlia's reasons for birthing God is entirely selfish while Claudia's is not. Third off, Dahlia's realization that she could have done it all herself and did not ever need Alessa proves that she cares little about the child. Fourth off, Dahlia did not originally intend for Alessa to birth God, she was supposed to follow in Dahlia's foot steps as a priestess, this goes back to what I said earlier of what Dahlia says in SH1.

References:

Lost Memories
Koshiki Guide Book
Silent Hill 1
Silent Hill 3

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:45 pm

captain crowbar wrote:Is that true? I likely won't play it ever so go ahead and spoil whatever you want for me (use spoiler boxes though), but I heard there were a bunch of memos that kind of don't quite sound right with what we know about the previous games.

Since Tomm said it was canon, does that mean they're trying to do what Origins did and tweak established character personalities and whatnot?

This is the one I saw that made me go hmmmm....
REVEAL SPOILER
"I want the best for my Alessa--for our sacrifice to mean something. My beloved daughter will change the world."

REVEAL SPOILER
That doesn't quite sound right in my memory of Dahlia's personality. She didn't care for Alessa at all if I recall correctly. She was even excited to use her as a easy vessel for god...right? Especially after the botched ritual that left her nearly dead, her only concern was for the rituals, not for Alessa...saying something like "our sacrifices" and "beloved daughter" just sounds tremendously out of character...

Meh, not holding much water for me. It's not modifying her personality at all. Dahlia spent the greater part of SH1 lying her ass off to Harry and anyone else she encountered, so that quote matches with her personality perfectly -- putting on an act to make it seem like she wasn't abusing Alessa.

Ignition Factor

Post by Ignition Factor on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 am

Let me guess: TwinPerfect was involved in this, right? If so, that's enough reason to just dismiss this topic entirely.

frostfire

That thing in the corner

Post by frostfire on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 am

Honestly, BoM isn't that hard to reconcile with the rest of the series (although this is coming from the guy who tried to rationalise HC) but I really don't think it matters. It's a hand held spin-off.

Most of us don't consider Orphan canon, why should this be?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unless it gets mentioned again (which I highly doubt) I'd call it non-canon.
Huh? Radio? What's going on with that radio?
Four seconds later...
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm pretty sure the devs already said this game is canon. Which isn't really that big of a deal since as far as I know, it doesn't really retcon or mess anything up.

Otherside

Post by Otherside on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Tomm wasn't very clear about it being canon or not. I don't consider it canon, giving the fact it's just a spinoff with some contradictions to other games.
Hell, looking at the story alone, the Arcade game has more chances of being canon than this one.

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:11 pm

I think he said it was canon when someone asked him on his blog.
---

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:06 pm

I herd you liek mudkips, crowbar.

But yeah, he did say it was canon, but I believe he meant it in the sense of it is an official release and a part of the series.
ImageImageImage

Otherside

Post by Otherside on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:44 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:I herd you liek mudkips, crowbar.

But yeah, he did say it was canon, but I believe he meant it in the sense of it is an official release and a part of the series.

Yeah, something like that. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I remember he wasn't 100% clear about it being canon to the rest of the series or not.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 am

I tried searching the forums and came up with the following:
Tomm wrote:However I disagree about BoM. First off, it can be a spinoff (not a "main entry") and still be canon. Canon is a story/world term, not a gameplay one (as I think you know), and you may not like to hear this but BoM doesn't break it. It builds on canon, because the series has treaded water with SH2's canon establishments for far too long. It's been a decade*--things have to develop.

viewtopic.php?f=3329&t=434273&p=7598995#p7598995
ImageImageImage

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:00 pm

i don't like mudkips, I prefer poison types
---

SotH

Post by SotH on Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:23 am

Anigav wrote:Unless you know of Dahlia to lie a lot like she does in the previous games. She has to put on the air like she is not abusing Alessa.

Meh, not holding much water for me. It's not modifying her personality at all. Dahlia spent the greater part of SH1 lying her ass off to Harry and anyone else she encountered, so that quote matches with her personality perfectly -- putting on an act to make it seem like she wasn't abusing Alessa.

That's up to Tomm and co., though I think it's easy to believe she's just putting on a nice face, here.

That said, she wasn't necessarily lying in SH1 (she was in SH4 to Walter, though). She just never told Harry she was involved. She's bad, so automatically, she's lying about everything, where to go etc. etc.? No, she quite adds up with the official data at Lost Memories etc., so in reality, she just not telling Harry the full truth and putting on a front.

And I don't know how Harry thinking the otherworld's intruding as Lost Memories and everything says over him always visiting makes any difference to the equation, so that part of it would be the fanboys and fangirls non-sense (he does visit the one time, though).

Mercury

Post by Mercury on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:34 am

From what I do know and from what I have seen, it is canon and that's a very sad thing. Nothing has been as silly in the canon as BoM imo.

Ignition Factor wrote:Let me guess: TwinPerfect was involved in this, right? If so, that's enough reason to just dismiss this topic entirely.
If you're still that hung up on TwinPerfect, then why even reply to the thread at all? You're just giving them publicity. :nom:
ya fuckin rite

Terrorvision

Post by Terrorvision on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Do we really have to be so melodramatic? Why is it quote-unquote sad that the game is canon? The stories of Silent Hill are independent for the most part, the series is built on subjectivity, and the powers of Silent Hill basically make the town and surrouding area a gigantic deus ex machina that allows for anything to happen.

This is what I hate about Silent Hill fans. They take the stories too seriously that it clouds their judgment. It's like they forget how to have fun playing a video game and view each SH game as if it's supposed to be a somber arthouse piece and nothing else.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:25 pm

Um, SH1,3,0,4, nd Homecoming are all continued stories that interrelate. Including reoccurring characters or past ties.

Next

Return to Silent Hill Book of Memories