Forum rules
MARK YOUR SPOILERS. This game is new, so if you're sharing information that can potentially ruin the story for people who haven't played it yet, clearly warn and mark those sections with spoiler tags. While you should always wrap your spoilers, this rule will be extra-enforced in this forum. Failure to comply will result in infractions.

Do you think Book of Memories is going to suck?

Ooooooh yes
45%
Meh.
18%
No way! It'l be AWESOME!
37%

Total votes : 38

Rob of the Fog

Brookhaven Outpatient

Do you HATE Book of Memories?

Post by Rob of the Fog on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:58 am

I can't say for sure if I hate Book Of Memories because I haven't played the game and do not intend to. But, I think it's a pretty terrible concept and not a good direction to take the series in. Even if it is for a one-time spin off.
The fundamental problem I have with it is that it is a multi-player game. Silent Hill should never have multi-player game play regardless of the medium of the game. Making the games single-player is the foundation on which to build up the series' trademark uneasy terror by making the player feel isolated and alone in this nightmarish town. Being able to play with friends immediately sucks that sense of vulnerability out of the franchise and, I feel, kills a fundamental aspect of what defines Silent Hill.
That's saying nothing about the seemingly awful character choices and the feeble customisation options, the "greatest hits" mash-up of monsters and the dungeon-crawler game play, complete with a ludicrous, inexplicable RPG style shop.

Overall, I think it feels like a pretty transparent money grab. Churning out a mediocre game and sticking a famous label on it and borrowing the creature designs, meaning very little effort has to be put into the creative process while still ensuring an easy profit.
Last edited by Rob of the Fog on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 am.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:23 am

Well, Team Silent planned to make a SH game with a sunny Otherworld and there were plans for multiplayer too.

Rob of the Fog

Brookhaven Outpatient

Post by Rob of the Fog on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:45 am

A sunny Otherworld could have potential if designed right. Though I imagine it would be incredibly difficult to create that trademark claustrophobia of the series without the thick fog or encroaching, pitch-black darkness. And I'd consider multi-player a bad direction for the series whether it was pitched by a Japanese or US team.
The only time I think multi-player would be affective in Silent Hill would be if they were to purposefully abandon the horror aspect for a game in order to achieve some bigger goal through the story-telling like further exploring the nature of the town. But, I still don't think it'd be a good route to take.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 am

What about Resident Evil outbreak? I think that proved you could combine horror and multiplayer.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Maki

Post by Maki on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:13 am

Outbreak was built to be a muliplayer game, in single player it is shit.

That game featurea some of the most annoying dialogue/voice acting i've ever heard in a videogame. Ugh
Cindy was so cute tho.

Rob of the Fog

Brookhaven Outpatient

Post by Rob of the Fog on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:14 am

I've never actually played that one myself, so I'll have to take your word for it.
I think it's certainly possible to create tension, panic and fear in a game that allows multi-player cooperative game-play, but I don't think its as easy to create real horror. Something that Silent Hill had a fairly strong monopoly over.

Plus, there's a fundamental difference between the RE and SH series, which allows RE to move into the multi-player setting more smoothly and convincingly. That is that the monsters in Resident Evil are objective. They undoubtedly really exist and are a very real threat to everyone in their vicinity. Whereas, in Silent Hill, the monsters and the danger they pose are subjective and the nightmare which the town produces is typically personal and unique to specific individuals.

This is another reason why I feel it is a poor choice to make the characters in this game customisable avatar figures rather than unique characters with a more in-depth personal history because the power of Silent Hill produces a nightmare scape unique (with some exceptions) to individuals, externally manifesting their internal thoughts and emotions.
It's just not very Silent Hill to have a world inhabited by old monsters we've already seen, which we know were manifestations created with the influence of people who have nothing to do with the characters in this game. It's a game wearing Silent Hill's face, but I don't really see it as a substantial or meaningful addition to the franchise.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:21 am

Rob of the Fog wrote:Plus, there's a fundamental difference between the RE and SH series, which allows RE to move into the multi-player setting more smoothly and convincingly. That is that the monsters in Resident Evil are objective. They undoubtedly really exist and are a very real threat to everyone in their vicinity. Whereas, in Silent Hill, the monsters and the danger they pose are subjective and the nightmare which the town produces is typically personal and unique to specific individuals.

Though, some people entered other peoples nightmares and saw their monsters etc. Plus, some monsters are not personal, they can appear to anyone.

Rob of the Fog wrote:It's just not very Silent Hill to have a world inhabited by old monsters we've already seen, which we know were manifestations created with the influence of people who have nothing to do with the characters in this game.

I didn't play the game, but isn't it about a book, that's called Book of Memories, I guess it makes sense why old monsters appear then, it probably contains memories etc.

Rob of the Fog

Brookhaven Outpatient

Post by Rob of the Fog on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 am

I acknowledged that there are some exceptions. But for the most part, and for most monsters that are fan favourites, they are the manifestations unique to individual characters. Most of the time when we see evidence of two people experiencing the same manifestations it is because someone or something is actively manipulating the power of the town. Or it is a fleeting glimpse into the nightmares of others (Eddie and Angela) for their final appearance. Poetic story progression and a slither of insight into the nature of the town.

For the same monsters to appear again and again just feels like laziness after a while (and maybe even a little insulting - like the patronising look on Hulett's face when he hints at Pyramid Head being in BoM). And I think that is what the 'Book of Memories' is. A convenient plot device that allows for the recycling of old content, minimal time and resource investment in creating new concepts and still maximising revenue.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 am

But still, it's just what it's supposed to be, a fun multiplayer spin-off. Like you said it yourself, it's probably a one time game. It doesn't mean this will be the future of SH series.

Did we get more on rail shooters when SH Arcade was made?

Rob of the Fog

Brookhaven Outpatient

Post by Rob of the Fog on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:54 am

That's what I expect too. I doubt we'll see any more games like this. Still, I think it's an addition the series could do without (and personally, I feel it is detrimental to the series to use its name in such an inappropriate setting).

Thankfully, we didn't get more shooters as a consequence of the arcade game, but I feel the impact of a game that's like going to be played for 10/15 minutes once or twice by people outside their homes has a less drastic effect than a new console game.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 am

I don't hate the game...i'm all for getting this series more exposure and more fans, just not at the expense of sacrificing the roots of the series. I don't have a problem with them making this a multiplayer game, since multiplayer is all the rage right now and a spin off doesn't hurt the series as we have seen the arcade....(which i actually thought was good for a shooter)

My only problem is that I think Tomm stated that this was canon....and with Blackwood being in this game again and the whole concept behind BOM's gaming mechanics (PH and other past enemies all in the same game) run the risk of the game being hokey and just trying to cash in past characters and constantly having PH everywhere or even mentioning him has already watered down his impact on the series overall to a ridiculous level.

I know the arcade was supposedly to have been canon as well, but since then there has been no reference to it in traditional games, and i hope it stays that way...i also hope there is no reference of the events of BOM in tradional SH games going forward as well. i think both games should exist in their own universe just as SM did, but if no reference is made in future entries then i guess no harm is done.

I know that survival horror has changed, but SH and games like Fatal Frame still do what they do best...these games can still scare the s**t out of you if you play them late at night under the right circumstances....i luv the older games and i still like all of the newer games...which have held on to their roots and are not doing anything wrong to the horror series overall.

It started with last gen and the switch over to action horror and the generic explosion of zombie games that have ruined the horror genre...to a laughable existence...the indie firms and the SH franchise overall are still sticking to their roots, and i appreciate that they haven't sold out their souls for the sake of trying to be like other games.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:37 am

I only watched a lets play on youtube, so my opinion won't be all that concrete. I thought it didn't have the same atmosphere or feel of a typical SH game. It was more fun than unnerving or creepy (but I do believe that was what they were aiming for anyway)

Previous

Return to Silent Hill Book of Memories