Forum rules
MARK YOUR SPOILERS. This game is new, so if you're sharing information that can potentially ruin the story for people who haven't played it yet, clearly warn and mark those sections with spoiler tags. While you should always wrap your spoilers, this rule will be extra-enforced in this forum. Failure to comply will result in infractions.

Do you think Book of Memories is going to suck?

Ooooooh yes
45%
Meh.
18%
No way! It'l be AWESOME!
37%

Total votes : 38

Borg

Ghost

Do you HATE Book of Memories?

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Wren wrote:The thing that gets me is that if all the games were recreations of 1 & 2, everyone would be bitching that the series was stale and not going anywhere.

I dunno if you ever played Fatal Frame series, but it's like that story wise. I don't mean that each story in those games is identical, they're quite different, but the basic story of them is the same. You need to play them to see what I mean.

I still enjoy playing the games, but it really gets predictable now.

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:24 pm

poorjack wrote:99% fear of change 1% people who flat out don't like ARPGs

If they automatically don't like the premise by default, then why bother complaining about how it relates to Silent Hill? If you're not going to like it no matter what, just bury your head in the sand and spare the rest of us.

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

poorjack

Post by poorjack on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:47 pm

That's not how fan-boys work, Wren.

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:00 pm

You ain't just whistling dixie there!

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:02 pm

There's like a really weird breakdown in communication here. I hate repeating myself so hopefully this is the last time:

1. This is a good game. Its fun and does a good job of translating the SH mythos to the handheld screen.

2. It would've been cooler to see this as a new series because it was pretty fun and for it to be a one off seems like a shame.

3. As far as the people in this thread are concerned, no one is afraid of change. Origins is criticized for trying to recreate the original and thus was stale and sort of stupid whereas SH4 is a very different beast from the first three and while not at first people really came around to it and personally is one of my favorite go to games to play.

It really bugs me that simply discussing these things gets you labeled as a fan boy or something like that.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

TeamSilent4Life

Post by TeamSilent4Life on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:32 pm

The concept of 4 is 1 of the most unique around whilst maintaining the SH qualities. Except its not as great. Its a brilliantly creepy concept but its not a brilliant game. BOM is designed as a nice little fan service except it isn't because its so far removed from what the fans want.
Be my little Rock 'n Roll Queen

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 am

BillMurraylives wrote:3. As far as the people in this thread are concerned, no one is afraid of change. Origins is criticized for trying to recreate the original and thus was stale and sort of stupid whereas SH4 is a very different beast from the first three and while not at first people really came around to it and personally is one of my favorite go to games to play.

We're not talking about BoM being a good or a bad game. I brought up something I noticed people say about BoM, SM and Downpour (which I find surprising) and that is how people say they're not Silent Hillish enough so they should've been new IP or something like that. That's what makes me think some people don't want new things.

I dunno about BoM since I didn't play it, but what isn't Silent Hillish about SM and Downpour? Hell, SM does what every SH game is doing but in an interesting new way. It's probably the most unique SH game.

Btw. SH 4 is not the only one who's different. SH 2 was very different too, it made it even more "weird" when 3 came out. You never hear people saying that SH 2 and 4 should've been new IP instead of SH games.

One more thing
REVEAL SPOILER
fans really don't know what they want since they all have different ideas what SH is supposed to be about.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:05 pm

devil hunter wrote:One more thing
REVEAL SPOILER
fans really don't know what they want since they all have different ideas what SH is supposed to be about.

Oh Absolutely. This hits the nail right on the thread. I just wanted to get my point across that we don't dislike BoM (in fact its definitely worth owning if you have a vita) its just that I see missed opportunity.

Also this fan base is very caustic we're never gonna collectively agree on how this series should movie forward.

REVEAL SPOILER
I still don't see how SH2 is any different in format to the other games but that's neither here nor there ;)
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:27 pm

Here's what I mean
REVEAL SPOILER
when it came out 2 was much different than 1 and when 3 came out, which is a sequel to 1, 2 seemed even weirder, having a personal story, not connected to an evil cult, different Otherworld etc. Of course it's not so different now, but when it came out it probably was.

sameday

Post by sameday on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:56 am

Nope not getting into this

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:53 am

This has actually been a pet peeve of mine for a while. 2 had several cult references, as well as a big chunk of history on the town itself. But I guess I'm just going to have to accept that everyone considers it a stand alone entry. :/

With the direction the new games are going in, perhaps it's time for me to release my over dependence on them.

On a somewhat related note, the more spoilers I let myself see for BOM the more excited I get.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:02 am

i guess everyone forgets that Pyramid Head was the biggest cult reference in Silent Hill 2! :lol: AND the various items you pick up in the game. The Rebirth Ending was about one of the Resurrection Rituals the Holy Mother Sect would perform. And the items like White Chrism, and whatnot.

I mean they didn't just randomly decide to put a pyramid on PH's head. :lol:

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:07 am

What I mean by saying that SH 2 is a standalone entry is that it's not connected to the first game or any other, except for some references. You might say that 4 is connected to 2, but those are still just some references plus character of Walter Sullivan is changed a little, you're seeing his story now, you only read something about him in 2.

You don't really need to play any other game to understand what's going on in 2. That's what I mean when I say it's standalone game.

Downpour and SM have references and they're standalone games too.

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 am

^Yes, I imagine if somebody started with 2 and hadn't played any other games, they would probably just shrug at the references and assume they wouldn't understand them unless they play the first one. "Creepy shit is manifesting. Huh. Guess I gotta play more SH games to find out why that might be." :D

Heather_Feather

Post by Heather_Feather on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 am

The "sooo not Silent Hill" graphics and top down view on the trailers discourage me from buying/playing the game. Definitely skipping this one. :(

samael21walter

Post by samael21walter on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Heather_Feather wrote:The "sooo not Silent Hill" graphics and top down view on the trailers discourage me from buying/playing the game. Definitely skipping this one. :(

I understand that, but if you like dungeon crawlers, you really need to give this one a shot. Especially if you already own a vita. It's fun, and as far as I can tell is packed with zones to beat. Playing in online multiplayer is a blast too, just a shame hardly anyone is playing. If you're looking for it to be scary, it's not. If you're looking for it to have the same atmosphere, it doesn't. But, it has the same monsters, a heck ton of weapons, and plenty of levels. Fun just to bash through with a few people online. Yeah, it may seem like blasphemy at first, but try it, and you might like it.
The strange creatures you see are Creatures.

Heather_Feather

Post by Heather_Feather on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 am

samael21walter wrote:
Heather_Feather wrote:I understand that, but if you like dungeon crawlers, you really need to give this one a shot. Especially if you already own a vita. It's fun, and as far as I can tell is packed with zones to beat. Playing in online multiplayer is a blast too, just a shame hardly anyone is playing. If you're looking for it to be scary, it's not. If you're looking for it to have the same atmosphere, it doesn't. But, it has the same monsters, a heck ton of weapons, and plenty of levels. Fun just to bash through with a few people online. Yeah, it may seem like blasphemy at first, but try it, and you might like it.

Since there's so many positive feedback, i might as well give it a try although I'm still not getting that Silent Hill vibe from this one. Couldn't be worse than the HD Collection! Multiplayer could be fun.

Mercury

Post by Mercury on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:22 am

I don't hate Book of Memories and I have yet to watch it, but I certainly don't have very positive feelings toward the game. If it were considered on-par with The Escape, Dying Inside, and things of that nature, it would be fine; they're more about having fun than they are about fitting in with the series. As a game that's officially canon however, I'm just very, very confused. I can't really figure out why this game exists as a canon title. I also can't understand why things such as Dying Inside are given such a terrible reputation and yet this game is essentially Dying Inside. To me personally, I feel like this game is first nail in the coffin. I'm not sitting here cursing the series to its demise: I've been a very devout fan for a very long time. However, this is the first game that seriously confounds me to the point where I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the future of the series. This is definitely the first title to make me doubt Silent Hill and I feel like my admiration for the series is on shaky ground at the moment. If the series does continue on in this direction (I'm not talking gameplay or change: as I've mentioned before, if change were a deciding factor I would not love The Room, Origins, and Homecoming as much as I do), I think it will be time for me to move on.
ya fuckin rite

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:54 pm

But those comics are bad. Also sure this is canon but its largely independent from every other game thus not retconning like anything.

Mercury

Post by Mercury on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 am

There's not a huge world of difference between it and Dying Inside / Dead/Alive. Lauryn was a cheerleader who became some kind of misfit after an unfortunate event and she and her friends decide to infiltrate Silent Hill while facing off against enemies from SH1 - 3. The Breakfast Club-esque archetypes were present in both, as were the barrage of familiar enemies, weapons, ideas, and the over-simplification of things going on behind the scenes. When the story progresses into Dead/Alive, Lauryn (if my memory serves) gains a significant amount of power and is able to harness the town's energy like Alessa did for no real reason. The comics don't make a whole lot of sense and they're really simple/campy, but they're fun if you don't take them too seriously. I see the same thing with Book of Memories, although it has to be taken seriously to a degree as it now has its place in the canon.

There's not much of anything available for the game's story at the moment unless you can buy it so I can only base it on what I have seen. I'm not making the argument that you can change history or things of that nature, but what I dislike the most is the over-simplification of the series. Valtiel is no longer this ambiguous agent of god that serves as an executioner to the players, but your tie to HQ (so to speak) that gives you all kinds of missions. Valtiel was always in the background and even when he was present (for instance, SH3), he still remained largely in the shadows and was only meant to oversee the events in motion (minus reviving Heather). By making him this direct entity that gives missions, rewards, and acts essentially as the Colonel does to Snake or Wesker does to Ada, it's warping his presence and therefore setting the mark for what may begin to permanently alter his purpose in Silent Hill. At this point, I also assume that the post-man is another agent of god. I have no problem with that: I find it interesting. I just think it's funny that god would give him the daunting task of selling swirly glasses to a goth chick.

One could make the argument that it being called canon is the same thing as Shattered Memories being "canon", but since it has direct ties to the main series, it's not. The stuff I listed aren't retcons at this point, but they are a definite fork in the road and I feel like the series can go either direction from here. I don't have as much faith in the series anymore, so I'm not that positive about the direction from here.
ya fuckin rite

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Book of Memories