Forum rules
MARK YOUR SPOILERS. This game is new, so if you're sharing information that can potentially ruin the story for people who haven't played it yet, clearly warn and mark those sections with spoiler tags. While you should always wrap your spoilers, this rule will be extra-enforced in this forum. Failure to comply will result in infractions.

Do you think Book of Memories is going to suck?

Ooooooh yes
45%
Meh.
18%
No way! It'l be AWESOME!
37%

Total votes : 38

samael21walter

Do you HATE Book of Memories?

Post by samael21walter on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:42 am

Wren wrote:I've heard overwhelmingly positive things about BOM, especially from the fans who have similar tastes to my own. So I'm going to give it a chance at some point. It seems a lot more worth my money than the movies were, anyhow. That's all I've got to say.

Besides haters gonna hate. ;)

You should pick it up. It's fun, and will make for some good moments when you spot an old favorite enemy. Still love that they added the dog from SH2 :lol: That was quite a surprise.
The strange creatures you see are Creatures.

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 am

^Damn, bro. What's a girl gotta do to get a spoiler alert these days?

Just kidding. That actually makes me want to get it even more. /nerdiness

EDIT: I'm listening to the soundtrack in another tab, and "Light World" is really awesome. :D

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

samael21walter

Post by samael21walter on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:49 am

The first (fire world?) world gets pretty annoying how many times I beat through the zones xD My main warning is just to go into it not really expecting a storyline. Sure, it has a loose storyline told through memos, but it isn't anything worth mentioning. This game is pretty much just gathering weapons, beating up SH enemies, leveling up, getting better weapons, beating more enemies, leveling up, etc. Nothing too complex, but it's mindless fun and it's fairly long from what I've seen (I'm still not even to zone 20, and I know theres at least 40). Sorry for the spoiler :/ But it isn't really a big part of the game, just one of the smaller missions Valtiel gives you.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:52 am

samael21walter wrote:SH2 had references to the other games, and also the history from SH2's past (in the form of newspaper clippings and such)

Downpour has references to other games too and brings some new ideas about how the town works. I think the part in the mines where you're on the cart ride gives some info about the history of the mines.

samael21walter wrote: Downpour seems to skip over all of the past entries and just do something self-contained, which would have been fine if it made sense within the confines of the series.

SH 2 did something self contained too. I don't see what Downpour did so different that it doesn't makes sense within the confines of the series.

samael21walter wrote: SH2 worked with SH1 and 3.

But the only thing 2 has in common with them is general setting and the concept of a place reflecting elements of a person's psyche.

samael21walter wrote:Downpour gives no real explanation as to why there are monsters.

Why should it? We know already why monsters are here. It's not like other games went in depth why the town is doing what it does.

samael21walter

Post by samael21walter on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 am

The first game specifically says what the monsters are and why they are there. The second one expands upon that and says that the town itself can manifest things from the mind due to the past and the power of the town. I guess since Downpour is in another region of the town maybe its history affects it differently? Read all of the memos from 1-4, and it gives you a pretty clear picture as to how the town works (though there are SOME parts left in the dark). Besides, what is this doing in a BoM thread? I'll just stop here and take it to a Downpour thread or something.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:01 pm

You didn't understood me. It's perfectly clear by now that monsters come from person's mind. The same thing is happening in Downpour, don't see how it's different in that area.

What I mean is that the games never went into detail as to why the town has powers like that.

But yeah, this is off topic. Do you plan to create a thread?

samael21walter

Post by samael21walter on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Idk, maybe later :/ All argued out at the moment lol

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:30 pm

For the record, SH 2 connected with 4 which connects with 1 and 3. Besides that the game taking place in the same environment, sharing some of the same enemies and having a similar format (running around town from location to location all the while traversing the streets in the meantime) would mean SH 2 is very much a silent hill game. Why is it so hard to conceive that BoM would've done well to use a new IP? Its mostly a completely different style of game.

I've recently played BoM and had fun with it so Vita owners should buy it. I didn't get to play online though so I wasn't sure whether it was hard to play with considering the plethora of bugs we've been getting these days.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

poorjack

Post by poorjack on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Yeah, I think if it were a new IP it would be getting waaaaay better reviews. People still go into games blindly, and with SH, they expect Survival Horror. That's not really what you get in BoM. It isn't scary in the least, and survival is one of the least important aspects of the game. But that does not mean it isn't a great dungeon crawler.

DarkVoid

Post by DarkVoid on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:57 pm

I'd place BoM in the same category as SH:Mobile1-3 - these games try to look like (or pretend to be) SH, but they are NOT.
Hatter: "Do you know why raven is like a writing desk?"
Alice: "Because I'm a child of The Order!"

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:00 pm

The thing is, BoM was developed as a SH game, it's not like they made some game and decided to redo it in the last minute and slap the name SH on it.

It's not trying to look like or pretend to be a SH game, it IS a SH game.

What I don't understand is, and please don't get me wrong people, since when fans decide what's SH and what's not?

DarkVoid

Post by DarkVoid on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:09 pm

You can take 'Dawn of the Dead' and slap a 'Resident Evil' title on it, but people will see that it is not RE anyway. The same here.
Hatter: "Do you know why raven is like a writing desk?"
Alice: "Because I'm a child of The Order!"

poorjack

Post by poorjack on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Never said it wasn't a silent hill game. Never said it wasn't developed as a silent hill game. I am just saying it would be better off if it were not developed front he beginning as a silent hill game. It would have been better off if it popped into someone's head as it's own franchise, and they made it NOT as a silent hill game.

It would have been better, but it isnt. It is still a great game, but the fucking title holds it back so much.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Yeah I'm with poorjack. It just seems like it was a wasted opportunity to start a brand new franchise.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:42 pm

I start to see a lot of "it should've been a new IP" these days, kind of makes me sad. It's like some fans don't want new things.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Thats not true. We've repeatedly stated that the new game is good. It was a nice surprise to see the game actually pull off what a lot of people were adverse to. The only point we're trying to make is that it could've been something if they really made something out of it instead of a one off for the vita.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:02 pm

I wasn't talking about game turning out good or bad. I noticed that people say this, SM and even Downpour should've been its own thing, instead of SH games, some people even wrote they wouldn't notice that they're SH games if they changed the name etc.

Seems like that only newer games that don't get "they should've call it something else, without SH in the title" stuff are Origins and Homecoming, both of which copied and tried to emulate earlier games (Origins was supposed to be like that though, since it's a prequel to 1).

That's why I came to a conclusion that some people don't want new things, just old stuff.
Last edited by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:20 pm.

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:07 pm

devil hunter wrote:I start to see a lot of "it should've been a new IP" these days, kind of makes me sad. It's like some fans don't want new things.

I often wonder how much of it is genuine dislike, and how much of it is just good old fashioned fear-o-change.

The thing that gets me is that if all the games were recreations of 1 & 2, everyone would be bitching that the series was stale and not going anywhere. So where's the fucking middle ground?

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

keeps

dont like fandoms

Post by keeps on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:09 pm

dunno if thats been struck upon yet

poorjack

Post by poorjack on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:17 pm

99% fear of change 1% people who flat out don't like ARPGs

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Book of Memories