Forum rules
MARK YOUR SPOILERS. This game is new, so if you're sharing information that can potentially ruin the story for people who haven't played it yet, clearly warn and mark those sections with spoiler tags. While you should always wrap your spoilers, this rule will be extra-enforced in this forum. Failure to comply will result in infractions.

Do you think Book of Memories is going to suck?

Ooooooh yes
45%
Meh.
18%
No way! It'l be AWESOME!
37%

Total votes : 38

Ashley

Crazy Princess

Do you HATE Book of Memories?

Post by Ashley on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:34 am

I don't hate it at all. Theres a few little things that get to me(mainly poison traps) but I think its a fun game, especially since I don't get much gaming time as I used to. I love that I can load up a zone and play for about 15-30 minutes before I need to goto work, and actually feel like I made progress. Its a different kind of Silent Hill, but I enjoy it very much. I can see myself coming back to it a lot. I really do love dungeon crawly games like this.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:56 am

Well, I'm not interested in the game, but I don't hate it. The first option and the second one don't really show how I feel about the game, so I chose "No way! It'll be AWESOME!" one

sameday

Post by sameday on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 pm

i would either borrow it from someone or buy it if the price went down on both the vita and the game but other than that i won't go out of my way to get it or try it anytime soon

poorjack

Post by poorjack on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:17 pm

I think everyone with a Vita should absolutely own this game. It is one of the best on the system, and a masterpiece of ARPG fun. Even if a person does not agree with the lore, or doesn't even know Silent Hill. It is a great game.

TeamSilent4Life

Post by TeamSilent4Life on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:52 pm

When ur making a SH, why would u base it around a 2D dungeon crawling RPG. What goes through ur mind to why it would work? Ur setting urself up for blatant failure because the reaction is rash on appearence alone :shock:.

Others have been failures too success-wise but that was because thyre held up against the originals 'mighty' esteem, not because of the genre.

Changing the genre its associated with adds fuel to an already conflagrated firestorm :twisted:. Yeah yeah its a 'spin-off' but thats not the apparent perception based on its name.
Be my little Rock 'n Roll Queen

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:09 pm

It's not like other game franchises didn't do stuff like that. You can ask a question like that for those too. Why would you base Super Mario around an RPG? Why would you base Metal Gear around a turn based collectible card stuff? Why would you base Final Fantasy around a fighting game?

Why would you make a Resident Evil game that looks like this?
http://images.wikia.com/residentevil/im ... meplay.gif

What goes through ur mind to why it would work?
Besides, we had SH Arcade which was an on rail shooter. You can ask the same questions for that too.

It's not like BoM did something that no other game franchises did, like it's the first time something like this happened.

TeamSilent4Life

Post by TeamSilent4Life on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:48 pm

devil hunter wrote:It's not like other game franchises didn't do stuff like that. You can ask a question like that for those too. Why would you base Super Mario around an RPG? Why would you base Metal Gear around a turn based collectible card stuff? Why would you base Final Fantasy around a fighting game?

Why would you make a Resident Evil game that looks like this?
http://images.wikia.com/residentevil/im ... meplay.gif

What goes through ur mind to why it would work?
Besides, we had SH Arcade which was an on rail shooter. You can ask the same questions for that too.

It's not like BoM did something that no other game franchises did, like it's the first time something like this happened.

Why abandon ur baby, return after uv disowned it & clean up its piss?
Be my little Rock 'n Roll Queen

Matt S

Post by Matt S on Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:16 pm

I've said this before, but for fans of top/down dungeon crawlers - like this one, the game is fun as hell!
why hello there...!

frostfire

That thing in the corner

Post by frostfire on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 am

It's fun, but I can't help but think konami should have made this a new IP. The game was crammed full of myth gags that wouldn't make sense to somebody who's never play'd/heard of silent hill before. But silent hill fans largely detest it because it's so different (I'm not one, however I hate the plot with a passion) It's fun, but even if silent hill fans want it, it's still a vita exclusive. I know literally two people who own a vita and one of them is me.

For new players, there's probably not to much here. sure it's fun, but it gets pretty repetitive.
For silent hill fans it's either:
A) not important
B) a travesty
C) Interesting, but can't get it.
D) Can get it, and did.

It's not a bad game, but if the plot's cannon
REVEAL SPOILER
Regardless of whether it actually happened or not
just shoot me. I like the gameplay. But I just don't get who the demographic was.

TeamSilent4Life wrote: Why abandon ur baby, return after uv disowned it & clean up its piss?

Sorry, why are we talking about abandoned, piss-covered babies?
Huh? Radio? What's going on with that radio?
Four seconds later...
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Agent of God

The man in the cardboard box

Post by Agent of God on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:28 am

I don't hate it but I don't care about it in the slightest.
Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:02 pm

frostfire wrote:It's fun, but I can't help but think konami should have made this a new IP. The game was crammed full of myth gags that wouldn't make sense to somebody who's never play'd/heard of silent hill before. But silent hill fans largely detest it because it's so different (I'm not one, however I hate the plot with a passion) It's fun, but even if silent hill fans want it, it's still a vita exclusive. I know literally two people who own a vita and one of them is me.

This is largely my issue with the concept of this game. It seems like it was well done and even a fun albeit somewhat repetitive experience so why slap a SH skin on it? I mean with a new IP with some fresh ideas it could've really been something. I mean I get it, slapping an SH logo and mythos on it (although somewhat misguided) at least guarantees SOME sales but I don't know.

All in all looks like fun but I don't own a vita so I probably won't ever play it. I don't hate anything.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:51 am

This question is asked too much these days.

Why not create a new IP instead of calling the game SH 2? Same for 4, SM and Downpour.

Agent of God

Post by Agent of God on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:46 am

devil hunter wrote:This question is asked too much these days.

Why not create a new IP instead of calling the game SH 2? Same for 4, SM and Downpour.

Only Shattered Memories is relevant to that question.

SH2, 4 and (I suppose) Downpour require the established mythology in order to function.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:16 am

Think about it. When SH 2 came out only thing it had in common with the first game is the general setting and a concept of a place reflecting elements of a person's psyche.

When 3 came out, it was a sequel to the first game and it dealt with the evil cult, yet again. 2 was the weird one.

Agent of God

Post by Agent of God on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:30 am

devil hunter wrote:Think about it. When SH 2 came out only thing it had in common with the first game is the general setting and a concept of a place reflecting elements of a person's psyche.

That raises the argument of "Was Silent Hill like that all along or was it made like that by Alessa's influence?".
I support the latter of the two.
But it was argued to exhaustion at Silent Hill Heaven. Not again.

Sure, they could have made Silent Hill 3 unconnected to anything and the series would be completely different today.
But that's not what happened.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:41 am

Don't really see how it could've been completely different. They weren't planning to make games about Alessa or an evil cult.

Downpour came out and people said that they could've just made a new IP. I fail to see what is so different from the rest of the series in Downpour. Even SM at its core does what every SH game is doing.

If the order was switched and instead of Downpour SH 2 came out people would still say that it should've been a new IP, same for 4.

samael21walter

Post by samael21walter on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am

The thing is, 1, 2, 3, 4, Origins, and Homecoming all tied it together. It might not have been a focus (and there are some pretty glaring plotholes in the later releases), but they at least seemed to exist within the same realm. Downpour seems to have nothing to do with anything. Shattered Memories is just a spin-off. Book of Memories doesn't really have enough plot to even evaluate it so :/
The strange creatures you see are Creatures.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:33 am

I don't see how Downpour seems to have nothing to do with anything. Why doesn't Downpour seem to exist within the same realm? Is it because it's not connected to any other games? If it's because of that, neither is SH 2. They don't all have to be connected.

Well, BoM is a spinoff too.

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 am

I've heard overwhelmingly positive things about BOM, especially from the fans who have similar tastes to my own. So I'm going to give it a chance at some point. It seems a lot more worth my money than the movies were, anyhow. That's all I've got to say.

Besides haters gonna hate. ;)

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

samael21walter

Post by samael21walter on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 am

SH2 had references to the other games, and also the history from SH2's past (in the form of newspaper clippings and such), place it in the same realm as 1, 3, 4, Origins, and Homecoming. Downpour seems to skip over all of the past entries and just do something self-contained, which would have been fine if it made sense within the confines of the series. SH2 worked with SH1 and 3. So did SH4. Downpour gives no real explanation as to why there are monsters. I liked the storyline, just wish it had more to tie it in, like theothers did.
The strange creatures you see are Creatures.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Book of Memories