Forum rules
MARK YOUR SPOILERS. This game is new, so if you're sharing information that can potentially ruin the story for people who haven't played it yet, clearly warn and mark those sections with spoiler tags. While you should always wrap your spoilers, this rule will be extra-enforced in this forum. Failure to comply will result in infractions.

dawnclover

The Halo of the Sun

Post if you got it!

Post by dawnclover on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 pm

poorjack wrote:
dawnclover wrote:The word "canon" is tossed around too much. Most SH games have been stand-alones (of course, excluding the town) with their own story, maybe with some references here and there to other games.

Again, can't say for sure about BoM, but I'm sure it'll be it's own thing. I can't tell what it means with BoM being "canon" before I finish it, so I may end up complaining later - or not. We'll see.

Here is something I believe to be a misconception. All the games are related, and have an order, through Lore. For instance, The cult story line is what ignited the supernatural powers, through the ritual done to Alessa, which caused the events of Silent Hill 1,3,0. James comes back to the town after the power was amplified by the events of 1, and there were several articles that could be read, and paintings he saw that created his monsters, such as PH. PH is James' guilt eating him up and driving him, but it's appearance is from a painting of a cultist in ritualistic garb, quite probably of Jimmy Stone. Jimmy stone was one of the victims of Walter Sullivan, and a prolific cult leader, the leader of the Valtiel sect. He wore white robes and a triangular red hood when he was conducting rituals and executions in the name of Valtiel. Valtiel being the creature that took care, and drove Heather in Silent Hill 3, and takes care of you in Book of Memories.

Bang. All the games are related in this way. This is also how you explain multiple creatures looking like PH, but not BEING PH. Jimmy Stone was a very public figure, and he is important in the cult's history.

Yes, hence the "references" I said. Even if they are related, the fact that SH1 happened, does not in any way mess with SH2 or SH4 (a.k.a. if SH1 was never released, and we got SH2, it wouldn't make that much of a difference, you'd still be able to follow along with the story just fine). The only games I consider directly related are SH1 and SH3, and SH0 to an extent.

So I'm guessing that, the creators of BoM may be considering this canon, but if you never play it you won't be missing anything from the "entire universe" of the games. As in, if you never had played SH1, you wouldn't have a problem with SH2 (I know a lot of people that played SH2 without playing SH1 and fell in love with it). So that's my interpretation of the word "canon", when I say it does not bother me if they consider this canon or not.

Of course, if this game ends up messing with the whole origins of Silent Hill or the overall story and universe, believe me, I'll be just as mad as anyone (unless it does it flawlessly, but even then, it's supposed to be a spin-off).

I guess what gets these canon discussions all confusing is that many people interpret the word "canon" differently. But I DO get what you mean :)
There was a hole here.
My Indie Game Development Team: http://www.indemonai.com/

poorjack

Post if you got it!

Post by poorjack on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 pm

The thing is, Book of Memories (through Note 6, and other memos I am told by Tomm) expand the powers of the town to a great extent and change the way it works fundamentally. It all works out, for the most part, but it does change the way the power works.

dawnclover

The Halo of the Sun

Post if you got it!

Post by dawnclover on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm

poorjack wrote:The thing is, Book of Memories (through Note 6, and other memos I am told by Tomm) expand the powers of the town to a great extent and change the way it works fundamentally. It all works out, for the most part, but it does change the way the power works.

Heh, I'll have to make up my mind about it when I delve deeper into the game. Now, if work would settle down for a lilttle while so I'd have the time to play it >_>
There was a hole here.
My Indie Game Development Team: http://www.indemonai.com/

poorjack

Post if you got it!

Post by poorjack on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Its not game breaking or immersion breaking. The story is actually pretty great. I just wish this was a new IP and not Silent Hill. Would be much better IMO

Matt S

Post if you got it!

Post by Matt S on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:03 pm

This game is pretty damn addicting. I'd go so far to say that its my fav Vita title thus far - easily. Love seeing all the baddies back - including Downpour's Executioner. Purists be damned! lol
why hello there...!

Borg

Ghost

Post if you got it!

Post by Borg on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:40 am

Uhh..Executioner? You mean Bogeyman?
Last edited by Borg on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 am.

poorjack

Post if you got it!

Post by poorjack on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:46 am

I played with a guy who had the
REVEAL SPOILER
Bogeyman's Greathammer
and Jesus it looks cool. I want it just to look OG as shit.

KrittyKrat

Post if you got it!

Post by KrittyKrat on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum, but definetly not new to the series! I was searching around for any info on book of memories (you know like a wiki or guide or anything that can breakdown the game and explain some things about it) and found this forum. So hello all and i'm super excited to have a great silent hill game on the vita, if ya wanna play my PSN ID is the same as my username.

poorjack

Post if you got it!

Post by poorjack on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Welcome! Good to see more BoM players coming aboard! Why not introduce yourself in the introductions section of the forums though?

KrittyKrat

Post if you got it!

Post by KrittyKrat on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:01 pm

poorjack wrote:Welcome! Good to see more BoM players coming aboard! Why not introduce yourself in the introductions section of the forums though?

Heh sorry, i got over excited when i saw not all loyal silent hill followers hated this game.

poorjack

Post if you got it!

Post by poorjack on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Nah man. I am a Silent Hill purist, and I love it. It fits the lore OK, and has some of the same atmosphere. It just is what it is- A spin off. An unrelated event happening concurrently with something probably more serious and scary in Silent Hill at the same time. I have rationalized it like this, Right now, you are having a good time, posting on the internet, maybe watching funny videos and such, but somewhere else, right this moment, someone is scared. They might even be in a life and death situation.

This game is like that. The other side of Silent Hill's powers. This book.
REVEAL SPOILER
and if you were an irresponsible kid, wouldn't you change you own life how you see fit by writing in this evil book?

REVEAL SPOILER
and wouldn't you team up with other versions of yourself to make your battles easier?

REVEAL SPOILER
we are all playing the same character

am I on to something Tomm? A simple maybe will suffice. As per usual.

Matt S

Post if you got it!

Post by Matt S on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:46 am

Most of the folks I've played with online have been more fans of dungeoun crawler types; some SH fans - most that i've played with seem to really dig it

Played a level 45 zone with two other players - holy cow - large zone!!!! This game has a lot more going on that I could've hoped. In some ways, this is my fav SH title in years. Its fun - for me, the fact that is different is a huge positive

** related to game: get those backpacks upgraded pronto - Also, I've been farming the guardian weapons for easy MR $ - helped to upgrade your items quickly - and having those badass swords really helps - esp if you are playing solo on the later zones...

Poorjack - I keep missing you online - as I have with my community members - gonna happen one of these times!!
why hello there...!

Pieramid_Head

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Post if you got it!

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Haven't gotten it yet, but I kind of want to.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.

Silenthill4life

Post if you got it!

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:18 pm

I would get it if I could do co-op with my friends.
It's a fun game to watch a let's play of on youtube though!

aleksa6

Post if you got it!

Post by aleksa6 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:10 pm

I know this thread is necroed, but still... I have it.
Unfortunately, as much as I love it for what it is, nobody plays it anymore. :( But if anybody's interested, I'm totally up for some co-op.

DevilsThunder

Just a Silent Hill Fan

Post if you got it!

Post by DevilsThunder on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:57 pm

I just regot it for the Vita, bad news is I have to start over since my Vita never saved my old files :(

Previous

Return to Silent Hill Book of Memories