jam6i

Should I even bother getting this?

Post by jam6i on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:25 pm

The implementation of trophies for games already 10+ years old was baffling. Why do we suddenly need virtual congratulations for tasks that we've all already done dozens of times? Not to mention that some trophies are given to you after completing PLOT PROGRESSION REQUIRED tasks. I was playing SH3, defeated the split worm, and got a trophy for it. Why? Why???

Even worse is the fact that game has to freezepause for 10 seconds as it's loading the trophy. "Sorry, mate. I know you're playing this game, but I have to stop to catch my breath, this is too much for me to handle. Here's a trophy as a way to say 'thanks for waiting for me to catch up to you'".
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:16 pm

the glitches are terrible, just awful.
PS2 Silent Hill 2 works amazing.
PS3 Silent Hill 4 freezes repeatedly at random points for any reason.
Golden age of gaming. The Golden age of gaming.
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:50 pm

jam6i wrote:The implementation of trophies for games already 10+ years old was baffling. Why do we suddenly need virtual congratulations for tasks that we've all already done dozens of times? Not to mention that some trophies are given to you after completing PLOT PROGRESSION REQUIRED tasks. I was playing SH3, defeated the split worm, and got a trophy for it. Why? Why???

Even worse is the fact that game has to freezepause for 10 seconds as it's loading the trophy. "Sorry, mate. I know you're playing this game, but I have to stop to catch my breath, this is too much for me to handle. Here's a trophy as a way to say 'thanks for waiting for me to catch up to you'".

I agree about the trophies, but I guess they figure people want them. And some people didn't play them ten years ago, so I guess when they buy it they want to pretend it's a new game and so many new games have trophies. I've never really seen the point, personally. And the trophies for stuff you have to do to complete the game are completely meaningless.
ImageImage

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:17 pm

These days there are plot progression required trophies in all the games.
Metal Gear Solid 4, Silent Hill HD, Silent Hill Downpour, and even Atelier Meruru.
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

Misty Day

Remains of the Judgment

Post by Misty Day on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:04 am

Fun fact. I went to Gamestop to buy this. I had the cash in my hand. The employees there actually talked me out of buying it, they thought it was so bad. We argued. I really miss playing these games, but my PS2 is out of commission. But apparently if you have played them before, this collection will rip out your heart and stomp on it. I like my heart where it is, thanks.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Misty Day wrote:Fun fact. I went to Gamestop to buy this. I had the cash in my hand. The employees there actually talked me out of buying it, they thought it was so bad. We argued. I really miss playing these games, but my PS2 is out of commission. But apparently if you have played them before, this collection will rip out your heart and stomp on it. I like my heart where it is, thanks.

It might be a good idea to inquire on a price of a refurbished PS2 instead.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Otherworld wrote:
Misty Day wrote:Fun fact. I went to Gamestop to buy this. I had the cash in my hand. The employees there actually talked me out of buying it, they thought it was so bad. We argued. I really miss playing these games, but my PS2 is out of commission. But apparently if you have played them before, this collection will rip out your heart and stomp on it. I like my heart where it is, thanks.

It might be a good idea to inquire on a price of a refurbished PS2 instead.

Or just buy a nice cheap secondhand one. God bless the staff at Gamestop though, that's real passion right there! I love the fact that they'd rather not have your money than take it and offend your sensibilities. Classy folk 8-)
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Misty Day

Remains of the Judgment

Post by Misty Day on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:05 pm

My system works fine. It was the TV that it was hooked to that was the issue. But after listening to me yammer incessantly about Silent Hill since I found this board, sneaky hubby went and swapped out his VCR in the living room for the PS2 in the bedroom to surprise me. I'm back in action! I put SH2 in on Sunday for the first time in years and played for an hour of running in circles, fighting the controller as much as the enemies, before I remembered that I never used to use the stick and that's why it felt so strange. I want to play everything at once! I've restarted Born from a Wish, Shattered Memories, and Origins in one night. Also, Fatal Frame, which I've never played before. Who needs an HD collection?

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:23 pm

I get it, you don't want to support the HD collection, but born from a wish scenario really is worth it.

Vestige

Post by Vestige on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Deadalux wrote:but born from a wish scenario really is worth it.

It's in the PC version too so between HDC and PC, why not Zoidberg? (\/)(o,,,,o)(\/)

Alex Townshend

Post by Alex Townshend on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:09 am

Born from a Wish is also on PS2, just make sure it's the Greatest Hits version.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Personally, I really enjoyed the HD Collection for what it was. The new voices were a breath of fresh air for games that we've played many, many times over the years.
Also, I really LOVED the way Mary Elizabeth McGlynn portrayed Mary/Maria.

Misty Day

Remains of the Judgment

Post by Misty Day on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:20 pm

When I can pick up the HD collection at a flea market for as little as I paid for the Greatest Hits version of SH2, I'll probably pick it up. Essentially, I paid 5 bucks just to get Born from a Wish.

Truth be told, I thought Claudia sounded funny for someone who grew up in an American small town. I'd like to hear another VA for her. Even the original Silent Hill 3 wasn't perfect. There. I said it. I feel so dirty.

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:28 pm

The new voice of james was great. I liked Laura's new voice, too.
But if the PC version and Greatest Hits has Born From A Wish, I guess you should just get those or one of them.
If you don't PC game much and you can't find the greatest hits for cheap, then get the HD collection haha.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Honestly if its your only means then don't neglect it by being a purist but if the older ones are available then go for them. The worst part of the whole thing is the the original voices for SH3 aren't available which is a huge issue considering Heather's original VA is magical in her range.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Vivi

The Darker Half! Angel Of Death

Post by Vivi on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:20 pm

YOU KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS?!!!!! ....BUBKIS!!!!!! BUBKIS!!!!!!! I CANNOT BELIVEV I WASTED TIME ON SUCH ISH-FILLED TRASH!!! WHAT WAS THE POINT IN CREATING SUCH A WASTE WHEN THEY CLEARY KNEW THE ONLY HD VERSION WAS....THE.... PC!!!! I'm JUST SAYIN!!!!! :twisted:
Everyone has a different nightmare in silent hill... I'm theirs...
Vivi is the new Alyssa...

Smiley

Have you seen a happy gamer?

Post by Smiley on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:42 pm

Don't get this. I just got a Xbox, SH2 and 4 for $60 at my local shop. And PS2s plus the games can be found for the same affordable prices as well. $60 is enough for one current game, and to pick up a console plus a couple games is worth it as opposed to delving into a badly made port.

Bottom line: If you want to play these games at their best then get the originals. The HD Collection is only for those that want to spend money on seeing how NOT to make a HD Collection.
The only me is me. Are you sure the only you is you?

Vivi

The Darker Half! Angel Of Death

Post by Vivi on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:48 pm

HOW DO I GET A DAMN REFUND?! I AM SO ANGRY AT THIS RIGHT NOW! :evil:
Everyone has a different nightmare in silent hill... I'm theirs...
Vivi is the new Alyssa...

Smiley

Have you seen a happy gamer?

Post by Smiley on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:46 pm

Born From a Wish is in the Greatest Hits PS2 version, Xbox version and PC version. And despite what Tomm Hulett would have you believe, he did not make Born From a Wish playable. The HD Collection is so unintentionally dark that you have a harder time getting through that scenario than the main campaign since you're without the flashlight.
The only me is me. Are you sure the only you is you?

Voyager

Post by Voyager on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Silent Hill HD Collection is fine now with the patches. Silent Hill 2 and 3 work great. Although it isn't as refined as is the PS2, Xbox and PC versions of the games. Most of the differences will pass unoticed especially to people new to the games, but some things will stand out, like the bad rendering of the water in Silent Hill 2 or less amount of fog through both games, and the existence of one random critic bug concerning the loading of textures in SH2. But the differences of this version appart from those I mentioned are negligible. Also some of the voices were changed in SH3, and a new dub was provided as optional for SH2.

Also Silent Hill HD Collection is in HD, so the world is generally more detailed and more beautiful.

All and all it is almost as good as the other versions of the games, and is perfectly playable and enjoyable if wish to play it.
"What you call ‘faith’ is nothing more than a child crying out for love."

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill HD Collection