DatFatChocobo

Formerly MuFc l mAtt

Should I even bother getting this?

Post by DatFatChocobo on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:54 am

Okay I've had this game for getting on 6 months now and I must say I've really enjoyed my playthroughs of both games/my introduction to the series. BUT, I've only just watched a comparison video of the PS2 versions of the games and...... :roll: Yeah, I only had a couple of problems with my game(major stuttering in SH2 in two cutscenes, and glitchy texturing at the very end of SH3), I thought they were the only real difference in comparison with the PS2 games, but holy S*** was i wrong; there's basically no fog on the HDC compared to the 'old' versions, they've changed some of the scenery for some strange reason(see the guys video below), and so much more. This game is a mess. I've even started getting random stuttering in certain sections of Brookhaven hospital when returning to SH3 last night.

I know this is an old thread, but if you've got a PS2 then I recommend buying/playing the games on that as the X360 version is a mess. I can't say too much about the PS3 version, but I've heard similar problems with that as well, though atleast they actually patched that version(even if it was a crappy effort, apparently) unlike the 360 version which didn't even get a sniff of one. >; /

The only good that came out of me buying the SH: HDC was that it got me into this incredible series. But all in all, I feel kinda cheated when comparing it to the imaculate PS2 versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58n-Gg1GrE4 - This guy pretty much sums up everything wrong with this game. Skip to 3:50 if you wanna get straight to the point!
Embrace my awkwardness...

EvilEye

Post by EvilEye on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 am

I haven't played the PS2 versions and i don't own a PS2 anymore. Since i really wanted to try SH2 and SH3, i decided to take a chance and got the HD Collection for the PS3. After installing the patch, thankfully i haven't encountered anything major. Well, there was this one time when i let the opening intro of SH3 play till the end. After the intro and the main menu came up, i selected option and the game just froze. Besides that, i haven't noticed much during the game play. Frame rate issues seem hardly noticeable. But i'm not really sure how smooth and fast the frame rate was on the PS2. So far so good thankfully. I'm really enjoying the scary atmosphere. If i find any glitches or anything major, i'll try to post it here.
Currently living within the gates of Hell. Sit and you die.

jacobia

Miss Poppy Brown

Post by jacobia on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:23 pm

@EvilEye -Welcome to SHC :D . I've still got my SH's 2 and 3 for my PS2, but I bought the HD collection for my PS3 as well, and like you I've not noticed any crippling bugs or anything major. Although in fairness, before the patch came out, I did notice the horrendous lack of fog effects in SH2. Are these the first SH games you've played? Cause, if you didn't know, you can download the first PS1 SH off the PS Store. And IMO, as 3 is the sequel to the first game's story, it'd be better to play SH1 first to get the chronological experience...unless you've already started 3, then whatevs... :)
It isn't a dream, you only heard yourself
The means of your life, create and melt
In front of you, beneath closed lids
The path to freedom, Nirvana, here sits

DatFatChocobo

Formerly MuFc l mAtt

Post by DatFatChocobo on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Seems the PS3 copy wasn't hit so badly, plus the patch seemed to smooth most of the problems that were there. I'm encountering more and more problems as I go along on my 360 version; from cutscene lag and bad textures, to stuttering when firing the smg for more than one second. Then there's another I encountered earlier where if there were too many nurses in my vicinity the game would go crazy; like lagging and audio changes/glitches. I did remove the game off of the hard drive mind you, but surely that alone wouldn't cause the game to go as crazy as it is. Just hope I can carry on enjoying my current playthrough of 3 without any major, game breaking problems; like freezing at a certain part or whatever. :evil:

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:22 pm

The main problems I had with the game pre-patch, was the dialogue didn't synch up with the actions. This was noticeable in Born From A Wish. Maria would make a speech... and then walk over to the window.
It got bad when she has that chat with Ernest. So bad, I skipped the slow running cut scene and then thought "Shit... what was I supposed to do again?" :lol:

Also Heather ran in slow motion in 3. But the patch fixed stuff good and proper.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

EvilEye

Post by EvilEye on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:49 am

jacobia wrote:@EvilEye -Welcome to SHC :D . I've still got my SH's 2 and 3 for my PS2, but I bought the HD collection for my PS3 as well, and like you I've not noticed any crippling bugs or anything major. Although in fairness, before the patch came out, I did notice the horrendous lack of fog effects in SH2. Are these the first SH games you've played? Cause, if you didn't know, you can download the first PS1 SH off the PS Store. And IMO, as 3 is the sequel to the first game's story, it'd be better to play SH1 first to get the chronological experience...unless you've already started 3, then whatevs... :)

Thanks for the welcome Jacobia. I was able to play Silent Hill 1 on the PS1 a long time ago. But i wasn't able to finish the game because i got stuck solving a puzzle and didn't want to cheat by reading the walkthroughs. I am interested in playing it again so i can try to finish it. Even if i have to cheat. I didn't know SH3 was the sequel to it though. I've started a little bit on SH2 but then wanted to test SH3 as quickly as possible since i've read some comments on the patch not fixing all of the issues. So yeah, i have made more progress with SH3.

It would be nice to have a disk copy of Silent Hill though. I'm not really into downloading games from the PSN store but i'll think about it. Thanks.

Princess Lea wrote:The main problems I had with the game pre-patch, was the dialogue didn't synch up with the actions. This was noticeable in Born From A Wish. Maria would make a speech... and then walk over to the window.
It got bad when she has that chat with Ernest. So bad, I skipped the slow running cut scene and then thought "Shit... what was I supposed to do again?" :lol:

Also Heather ran in slow motion in 3. But the patch fixed stuff good and proper.

I am relieved to know that you didn't have any problems with SH3 for the HD collection post patch.

nemesis9000

STARS!!!

Post by nemesis9000 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:44 am

If you are a trophy whore like me you will, i think silent hill 2 has an option for original voices, but in silent hill 3 you can only choose the new voices, which kinda sucks and silent hill 2 barely has any fog.
Last edited by nemesis9000 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:58 am.
GO READ SOME MANGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EvilEye

Post by EvilEye on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 pm

nemesis9000 wrote:If you are a trophy whore like me you will, i think silent hill 2 has an option for original voices, but in silent hill 3 you only choose the new voices, which kinda sucks and silent hill 2 barely has any fog.

Yeah after checking out some videos of the PS2 version, i see what you mean. There certainly is still more fog in the PS2 compared to the PS3 HD Collection even after installing the patch. Too bad they couldn't fix it. In the first few parts of the HD Collection the fog was definitely thicker, but once you reach those dark paved roads, the wall of fog that is still a bit far from you becomes more apparent. I don't know why they didn't bother to fix it. I mean if they were able to to do it for the roads that weren't paved.....maybe they shouldn't have made those paved roads too dark to begin with. The contrasting colors of the paved road and the fog just makes the line too obvious.

Playing around with the brightness and contrast level of the screen, i've managed to make the fog line seem less obvious, the paved street isn't that dark anymore but...in exchange for that the colors have become somewhat washed out. Well that's what i get anyway if i try to follow the instructions on the brightness options and make the lines appear faint. :oops: :?

Looking at some videos from the PS2 greatest hit collection, although not that obvious, i think i can still see the line where the wall of fog starts as James runs. Well, the distance of this "wall" of fog from James while running looks almost the same for the PS3 post patch. The only difference i can see is the amount and density of the fog blowing/coming towards you is more for the PS2. On the PS3 post patch it's still rather thin at times.

nemesis9000

STARS!!!

Post by nemesis9000 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:13 am

My first thought about the video "Where the hells the fog!" didnt read it was the hd collection at the beginning. :lol:

EvilEye

Post by EvilEye on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:55 am

Yeah. It seems the XBox360 HD Collection didn't have good fog. In defense of the PS3 HD collection, after it was patched, they did add a little more fog and some of them do blow/go/move towards you but it's volume is still less compared to the PS2 version.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:22 am

Wow, what happened here?

EvilEye

Post by EvilEye on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:58 am

Whoa...didn't notice that this happened. I don't know what happened but i remember having trouble with my internet connection. Sorry about this. How can i delete the duplicate posts?

nemesis9000

STARS!!!

Post by nemesis9000 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:05 am

devil hunter thats what i was wondering. :lol:

Arkjoww

Horizon to Zenith

Post by Arkjoww on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:39 pm

I am perfectly fine with my PS2 copies of the games. I suppose there are reasons to buy/or not to buy the HD collection.
I wouldn't suggest people get it if they care about having a good introduction to the series. All the bugs, quirks, and to some; the voice acting, could be a big turn off to players who want to see the games the way it's meant to be played (original versions).

Though I don't see why not to buy it if you just want games to play or don't care for the original experience. Needless to say, it's still the same games, albeit a tad different.

And then theres me, who would just buy it for more trophies....
tHiS iS a SiGnAtUrE. iS iT dIsTrAcTiNg?

DatFatChocobo

Formerly MuFc l mAtt

Post by DatFatChocobo on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:33 am

It's more like your chasing after the fog in the 360 version, rather than it engulfing you like it should. There's always 10ft between you and 'it'. Really sloppy. Like when you run into the graveyard and see Angela, you can see her plain as day, but when it transitions to the cutscene they're one with the fog. I haven't played the original versions, so I'm curious as to how much of a difference it would make to the overall feeling of the game(which is still great as is, mind you) if the fog was actually how it was intended to be. This is such a half arsed attempt at a port over, and for such a legendary series as well.
Last edited by DatFatChocobo on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:31 pm.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Compared to other HD Collections, this is by far the worst. There was no reason to change anything in either title. If you have a working PS2 and both titles, there is absolutly no reason ( unless you want trophies ) to purchase the HD collection. Shame on Konami for releasing these titles in the way they did.

Wilsden Hills

Ooh, a sheepie

Post by Wilsden Hills on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Blimey am I glad I refrained from buying the HD collection for the xbox recently, having read through this thread. Phew. And thank fck for my working PS2, and ebay. Still need to pick up Origins but 2, 3 and The Room (my original cheapo find, and still the only SH game I've seen in any shops for sale - guess no-one wants to let go of their copies of 2 or 3) are all sat waiting in my PS2 pile. Apart from 2, that's in the machine, and having just watched Pyramid Head have his way with two something or others it was time for a breather. Wow that's some heavy duty shit right there :o love his style, looks like a Yorkshireman on the pull.
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 pm

^Good that you're playing 2 on PS2. Wish I could, but I don't have a ps2 anymore so I just play it on PC, but I would prefer PS2.
ImageImage

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Apart from 2, that's in the machine, and having just watched Pyramid Head have his way with two something or others it was time for a breather. Wow that's some heavy duty shit right there :o love his style, looks like a Yorkshireman on the pull.

LOL. I lol'd for real, that was golden. :lol:

Wilsden Hills

Ooh, a sheepie

Post by Wilsden Hills on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:14 pm

nur_ein_tier wrote:^Good that you're playing 2 on PS2. Wish I could, but I don't have a ps2 anymore so I just play it on PC, but I would prefer PS2.

Aye, I knew there was a reason I'd kept hold of my old PS2 after upgrading to a 360 a while back, I just never knew what that reason was til now :mrgreen:

Love your username btw, one of their best tracks, especially when used as the opening number at the 1997 Bizarre Festival - pure ferocious class 8-)

@ NarooN - you've seen Yorkshiremen go about their business on a Saturday night then? Subtlety is not one of their stronger points.
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill HD Collection