femmeclaudia

Gaming Mama

Anyone else notice this?

Post by femmeclaudia on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:46 pm

First things first, let me say that I am pretty sure I liked the movie to some degree. If I go dissecting like I did the first one I wouldn't even bother seeing it a second time. There are a few things that bothered me about the movie and I was wondering if anyone else had notices these things.

What I am talking about is the small details that only the die-hards would notice. For instance in the high school, the posters are eerily similar to the posters in Midwich Elementary. Also when they are Jacks Inn, Basset made sure that they were in the EXACT room number as in the game. Even the room where Leonard is kept is the same room in Silent Hill 3. There are also the obvious ones like Happy Burger and Central Square Mall, but why keep the plot holes when he clearly tried HARD to put in details like that?

Thoughts?
"What you call 'faith' is nothing more than a child crying out for love."

Red_Wings

Ampoule Dealer

Anyone else notice this?

Post by Red_Wings on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:54 pm

That's a good question...
The simple answer would be: It's easier to pin up a poster or room number than to create a thoroughly competent motion picture.
The movie sorta is like a bitter cake with lovely icing.
Though because the actual film is a shade less than compelling, it makes it easier to pay attention to those little details.
I was a very fun film to go Easter egg hunting.
Red heel in the hotel room... A nod to Lisa? That's what I thought.
It was a enjoyable watch though. ^^
~SP

femmeclaudia

Gaming Mama

Anyone else notice this?

Post by femmeclaudia on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:07 pm

I guess I didn't think of it that way. The easter egg hunting was fun though. I am not sure if the heel is a nod to Lisa or not. Even though she is my favorite SH character, when I first saw the shoe I thought snow white

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Anyone else notice this?

Post by CrazyCatLady on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 pm

I thought it was a reference to that riddle we do in Amusement Park in SH3. Where you have to find the red heel and return it to the statue in that train ride place area. :lol:

Red_Wings

Ampoule Dealer

Anyone else notice this?

Post by Red_Wings on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:32 pm

whitexclaudia wrote: Even though she is my favorite SH character

Pleasure to meet another who loves Lisa over all. ^^ <3

You two are right though. I remember the statue 'quest' in SH3. In that regard it was a cool and subtle play on the game.

There is so much White(x)Claudia in this thread that I'm getting a contact high... :D
~SP

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Anyone else notice this?

Post by CrazyCatLady on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:08 am

Happy I could help! :lol: :lol:

femmeclaudia

Gaming Mama

Anyone else notice this?

Post by femmeclaudia on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 am

Be careful, you may hallucinate over time :D

LXMETALC

Still figuring it all out...

Anyone else notice this?

Post by LXMETALC on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:54 pm

My evaluation of why the any part of the movie seems inconsistent with Silent Hill 3 is that (and this is freely open to personal interpretation as it should be) SH3 uses it's plot, locations and characters to create allegorical context for themes that influence teenage girls. Puberty, pregnancy, virginity and teen sex, innocence, abortion, paternity and maternity are all conveyed in an interpretive style of storytelling that is obvious in some parts, and astoundingly subversive in others.

For example, you reach the sewer through the amusement park... Does that sound like a popular joke from comedians about genitals to you?

Team Silent took every metaphor they could find in the environment and twisted it to make a dark analysis of teen influences. I propose that Bassett didn't play SH3 enough to begin to appreciate what SH3 was about in this sense, so SHR is just a brief overview of some of the elements and locations of SH3, with a few other assets shoe-horned in.

The timeline of events and characters loosely resemble SH3, but my answer to the OP question is that the producers of SHR didn't have a very developed understanding of SH3 and seem to have missed the story that was being played out on another level that held it together and gave the whole game psychological context.
Tomm Hulett wrote:It’s like I feed off the hate.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Anyone else notice this?

Post by CrazyCatLady on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 pm

I don't remember us going to the Sewer from the Amusement Park. You reach the sewer from the Subway.

LXMETALC

Still figuring it all out...

Anyone else notice this?

Post by LXMETALC on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm thinking of the way you get to the church for the last chapter of the game, through the tunnels that have the stairs similar to the sewer. I stand corrected ;)

Sewer was much earlier.
Tomm Hulett wrote:It’s like I feed off the hate.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Anyone else notice this?

Post by CrazyCatLady on Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:10 am

Ohhhhhh! Okay :lol: I was just confused at first.

I don't know if anyone else did, and it's going a bit off topic (I'm sorry), but in that corridor you explained that takes you to the Church from the Amusement Park, did anyone else get reminded of this very corridor when playing Downpour, during that beginning part of St. Maria's where you go through that secret hallway behind the bookshelf? The one that takes you to the room with 6 different Dolls and that axe. I thought it was a lot like that corridor in SH3. :P

femmeclaudia

Gaming Mama

Anyone else notice this?

Post by femmeclaudia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:51 pm

I haven't played downpour yet :cry:

As far as the plot goes, I think Basset tried to do some fixing to the plot. I've tried to keep in the mind (even with the first one) that some of the parts of the game that would be brought to screen could not go well with some viewers. I mean, the whole fact that a Mother burns her child to inpregnante her with god wouldn't be as easy to swallow as SHE'S A WITCH OMFG!! BURN HER! Same goes for the scene where Heather throws up the god fetus and Claudia eats it...I could imagine SO much backlash

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Anyone else notice this?

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 pm

That would have been fine, if he didn't contradict things that were in the first film. I don't mind him straying from the game's plot. The first one did that too, and the plot isn't the same, so it wouldn't make sense, but the fact that half of the stuff he put in there didn't even match the first movie was what gets a lot of people.

Plus, I was pissed that
REVEAL SPOILER
they killed the one person who lives in the game, and all the ones that DID die, lived (excluding Claudia). Douglas was the one who survived, yet they killed him, and barely gave him a role. Did they even explain in the film what his role was? I can't remember. :lol: It seems Vincent took Douglas's role. Vincent was sent to retrieve Heather. That's Douglas's job, dammit. >:/

SilentScreamer

Resident of Silent Hill

Anyone else notice this?

Post by SilentScreamer on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:26 pm

I thought that it was a decent movie for a fan of the game(s) itself, and the little Easter eggs here and there were the only fun part about the movie. The plot was complete bull, and it felt very shoved together, but I did really enjoy the little things in the background.
I had thought the shoe was from the Snow White/Cinderella puzzle. I just found it interesting it was in such an odd (and obvious) place.

My only major qualm was
REVEAL SPOILER
(a bit off topic?) When Vincent kissed Heather. I was in an empty theater alone with my boyfriend and I literally started yelling at the screen, "Why the Hell would you do that?! You're not even supposed to like her like are you kidding me saegdsdthdr6jdfrjsrher"
(Needless to say, I'm a greeeat date when it comes to movies :lol: )

I did really like the end where Travis Grady comes and picks them up. I thought it was kinda cute for some odd reason.

femmeclaudia

Gaming Mama

Anyone else notice this?

Post by femmeclaudia on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:46 pm

SilentScreamer wrote:
My only major qualm was
REVEAL SPOILER
(a bit off topic?) When Vincent kissed Heather. I was in an empty theater alone with my boyfriend and I literally started yelling at the screen, "Why the Hell would you do that?! You're not even supposed to like her like are you kidding me saegdsdthdr6jdfrjsrher"

Trust me I did the same thing. Well, I didn't scream I just threw up hands up and kind of made a movement that is kinda hard to explain..needless to say I was NOT happy.

vanity_93

Silent Hill junkie, extreme gamer

Anyone else notice this?

Post by vanity_93 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:00 pm

The movie was pretty good in my opinion :)

amurderousbeing

Mindlurker

Anyone else notice this?

Post by amurderousbeing on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:09 pm

SilentScreamer wrote:My only major qualm was
REVEAL SPOILER

Something worth saying here is that Heather is part of Alessa, who's mother is Dahlia. Well in the film, Claudia claims that Cristabella (from the first film) is her sister. WELL, Cristabella also said that Dahlia was HER sister, which means Claudia and Dahlia are indeed sisters. So Vincent is Claudia's son, which makes Dahlia his aunt, which makes Heather his cousin.

That's just nasty
I run home as the air turns black, this day succumbing to dark. Earth will never come back, after descending so far...

Return to Silent Hill: Revelation (Motion Picture)