For Silent Hill-related art, music, videos, and more made by fans like you.
Forum rules
We have a dedicated section for Silent Hill modding found here: Silent Hill Modding
For non-Silent Hill fan work please post your work here: Creative Aspirations

ashatteredmemory

Lost in the snow

Silent Hi// / (writing project)

Post by ashatteredmemory on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:34 pm

A mother takes her child to Silent Hill for a simple day vacation, which quickly turns awry.
Shocked by a car crash, Hannah Sannings wakes up in Alchemilla Hospital, helped by the charming Dr. King.
Her head still addled by the crash, Hannah notices strange things, and not before long, everyone in the hospital suddenly vanishes. She goes on a quest to find her son back, traversing between reality and darker, storming versions against her will. Reuben, a deranged mental patient, is an unexpected ally in her ordeals. In the mean-time, dark details surrounding Dr. King emerge.

Pretty much the pitch for a book project I started.
Due to the lack of a better title, the holding title for my planned book is called Silent Hill: ///
EDIT: Due to some changes, I have decided to call the work Silent Hi// / .
Although it's just a slight difference, I felt it to be better. It was going to be either that, or The Storm, and I feel like this one had this smidge of mystery I felt it needed. This also ties in with the aesthetic I had in mind: since I'm a large fan of Mark Z. Danielewski's 'House of Leaves', I wanted to go in something of the same direction.

The Otherworld features extreme stormy weathers, slanted hallways with rivers of water raging through them, metal beams and large pieces of cloth blocking the way. (You can figure out the thematic behind it :P )
Something unusual to the Silent Hill universe is switching to reality too, outside of Foggy World and Otherworld.
I felt like contrasts would even feel starker, that the danger and loneliness of the Otherworld would become stronger. Plus, of course, it makes you doubt the mental status of the main character ;)

A large array of monsters lie in wait in the flooded corridors:
DOCTOR = a hunched over bipedal creature with no facial features but a grate. Carries around a needle and a cane. One of its legs looks like it has had rotationplasty.
Hiisi: A very small creature, somewhat larger than a chihuahua. A horrible malformed torso without heads or arms on a malformed pair of legs. Due to their small stature, they tend to swarm together. They make child-like cries. (see TRAP sequence)
Hell: is it a monster? An old slightly hunched woman. Her right half is painted white, her left half is painted black. She carries around a bucket (of paint? ) and a paintbrush.
Näcken: A black creature somewhat resembling a diver. Its eyes glow light, the body is black and sleek. It hides in the water, sometimes peeking his head, showing its glowing eyes.
Strandvaskaren: a humanoid suspended in the air by cords, resembling a dead body in water. It attacks by swinging his arms or spitting acid from a mouth-like hole in its otherwise featurless face. They sometimes lie in water, waiting for someone to come close, after which it will rise and attack.
The Draug: A large hulking creature, covered in seaweeds. Ropes seem to hang from its back.
PLAGUEDOCTOR: An odd creature based on the Plague doctor, with a very weird posture. From the side, the head and the cloak form a wave. In its hand it holds a lamp.

I played a lot with Scandinavian folklore for the monsters, but added a more modern and Silent Hill twist on most of them, and as with the otherworld, I tried to stick to certain themes.

Just wanted to pitch this to you guys and see your reactions. The basic story layout is complete, but I lack decent enough writing capability (in English) so actual progress on the story is going extremely slow ^^'

If anyone wants some history/earlier ideas on this project:
REVEAL SPOILER
It started out as an adaption of the original SH movie script (not the actual movie script) in a more SH-game universe. Loads got changed in the meantime, except for the 'mother searching for her sick child' aspect, which was spared through all the different drafts of the stories. Details were added, others were dropped, and in the meantime, it has become a completely independant entity from the original script. The cult was one of the story aspects that was dropped immediatly though.

First drafts had Hannah Sannings be an inhabitant of SH, but (according to typical SH stories), she forgot. This was waaay to cliché and had to be dropped, alongside other details and characters, including her father, who got scrapped altogether. However, this caused a severe lack of dialogue, and was thus replaced with dr. King, who took over a lot of story and had gotten a completely new background (he was just a background character first).
The story no longer features the 'looking for a healer' aspect of the original movie script, which didn't feel like it was something the main character would do. Instead, it got changed to a fun family day, which, coincidentally, is like the SH game.

The earliest story was that the father was falsely suspected of having a part in the 21 sacrifices or having killed some before Walter was caught. However it felt like an overly contrived way to try to tie into the SH universe and was so completely absurde and thus had to be canned :P The character himself stayed for a long time until I changed Hannah's background altogether to something less 'oh, of course'
Another dropped detail was that Hannah had a brother who died in SH, but she forgot that part of her life too.

I'm proud to say: Writing is the art of scrapping :P (Dutch idiom: Schrijven is de kunst van het schrappen)
If you want more random trivia, I'll happily share.
Last edited by ashatteredmemory on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:25 pm.
"I told you, I'm not going back... so you might as well shoot me" - Murphy

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:21 pm

I'd like to read it sometime!
No results found for oohfakanorus.

‎‎‎‎

Post by ‎‎‎‎ on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:38 am

Wait, What?
I lost my head again, would you cry for me?

ashatteredmemory

Lost in the snow

Post by ashatteredmemory on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:12 pm

I still have the story in my head, and wanted to share some more with you guys.
Since i'm horrible at writing, I haven't had much done of that. General story layout is pretty much set.
For now, it's going to be locations.

The northern part of Toluca Lake has been pretty much untouched except for Silent Hill: Homecoming's retcons. However, I'm a believer of the Hospital ending and believe Homecoming's version of Silent Hill to be untrue.
Over the course of the 30 to 40 years since SH1, a lot has changed
In my version, Silent Hill has been developing Paleville. There's still a lot of room to build new appartments and houses, mostly to appeal to people who want a vacation home near the quiet lake, while attracting young families with kids that'll enjoy the amusement park. The docks have expanded to accommodate more boating tourists on the large lake.
Most of the story will take place in Paleville.

Alchemilla Hospital has expanded, and grown from a little clinic to something more hospital-like. The 3 medical centres have joined into a group 'Toluca Medical'. After falling in disarray, the sanitarium has been repurposed into a large geriatric ward, as well as a home for the elderly. Alchemilla Hospital has become the centre for acute conditions and trauma. Brookhaven remains the hospital for more difficult cases, chronically ill and mentally ill.
Both Alchemilla and Brookhaven are visited by Hannah.

The Central Silent Hill Police Station has been renovated internally. It's no longer the same dreary old police building as before. Just as before, police reports of special investigations are found by our protagonist. Hannah also finds that the police station has a special recurring visitor.

As with the expansion of the marine tourism, Paleville has new hangars at the dock. It features storage for many small sportive and recreational boats. A few bigger boats are being restored inside the hangar as well. Search for the wreckage of the Little Baroness is being conducted from there (This is just a reference, the Little Baroness is not an actual story element , don't want this to turn into SH: Arcade :) )

Toluca Lake itself remains a place of mystery and sentiment. Many stories keep circulating of all the disasters and mishaps. The Little Baroness disappearing, a crazed murderer killing an innocent woman, a husband in despair taking his and her wife's lifes by driving in the lake, a mother leading her daughter to certain death into the lake, ... The list goes on and on. One of the rumors claims that the esteemed dr. King's sick mother had drowned in the lake.
"I told you, I'm not going back... so you might as well shoot me" - Murphy

Return to Silent Hill Fan Works